Author Topic: 1976 CB550K Rebuild NYC- NEW VIDEO FOOTAGE  (Read 29718 times)

Offline DKB

• E3
1976 CB550K Rebuild NYC- NEW VIDEO FOOTAGE
« on: December 04, 2009, 11:52:33 am »
I picked up a 1976 CB550K here in NYC back in July. Approx 20,500 miles and in decent enough condition. Here's the bike as purchased:

Replaced the horn, front and rear signals, installed New Dunlop K70's, and sorted out some electrical quirks to pass NYC inspection. Put a few hundred miles on the bike right off the bat and then got into some basic tune up items. Cleaned the carbs, new points plate and advance mechanism, replaced cables, Valve Adjustments, set timing, etc..

Also spent some time cleaning up the bike, repainting parts, and polishing parts. Found a nice set of Yamaha Drag bars I liked, installed a Nissan front brake master cylinder and replaced the lines, bar end mirrors, new tail light assembly, and removed the sail grab rail. I don't have access to a garage so all of the works been done out front of my apartment on the street. It's been an interesting experience to say the least.

Here's the bike out and about over the last month or so:

Pulled the carbs again as #4 Cylinder was slow to warm up compared to the others and rebuilt them with new parts and seals. No luck. Still having idle issues and the tach is hanging up. Think I may have an air leak on #4 as the boots are in rough shape and I've gone through everything a few times. Picked up a Morgan Carbtune and have the carbs synced dead on after performing all other tune up items. We'll see how it goes. Everything else on the bike is pretty spot on. This idle/#4 issue seems to be the one sore spot. Runs great overall and I've put around 3000 miles on it over the past couple of months.

Here's a shot from a trip up the the Palisades Parkway. I found the stock tank in great shape on ebay for 30 bucks the week prior with a new petcock. So stoked.

I was riding home from Brooklyn last month and was hit by a taxi while I was stopped at a light. No major damage. Just some minor bumps and bruises, though I've never wanted to strangle someone so bad in my entire life. I was hit from behind and the taxi driver tried to pull around me and split. Got him to stop and he was pissed this was going to cost him money. Hung around till the cops arrived about an hour later to file an accident report and limped home.

Seems I've got a gypsy curse or something as a few weeks after getting all the repairs sorted and the bike back in top running shape it got hit by an overzealous parallel parker. Came home from showing my mom around NYC over the holiday weekend to find my bike in pieces on the street in front of my apartment. I spent the last week working with my insurance company who declared the bike a "total loss" but was able to retain the bike and original title when all was said and done. I spent yesterday morning taking it apart and managed to get everything in the elevator and up to my 4th floor apartment to begin the rebuild process. I really dig the bike and figure it'll make for a fun winter project. I'm kind of curious to see what I can pull off within the limitations of building a bike in an apartment smaller than most peoples walk in closets.

Currently going through the bike and making a parts list and getting ready to get into a ground up rebuild. I figure I've got a few months of crap weather up here to get everything sorted and the bike ready come spring.
 ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 06:55:35 pm by DKB »

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
Re: 1976 CB550K Rebuild- Indoor Living, NYC
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 12:15:29 pm »
NICE!.... I love it.  My wife would cut my nutz off if I brought the bike in the living quarters. ahah
Sorry to hear about your bike... but, this could be a great thing! Make some magic...Enjoy it.
Cheers

Offline hoodellyhoo

• CB350F
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 01:54:28 pm »
Love the look of a 550 with stock pipes...

Major bummer about the wreck. Look forward to seeing what you do with it
1972 CB350F (Back from the Dead!)- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=20822.0
1965? S65 - Coming Eventually!
1972 CB750K2 (father-son project)
1976 CB750K6- (sold) http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=96859.0
1976 CB750K6 (sold)- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=62569.0

joec3613

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 07:05:30 am »
That's a NYC story if I ever heard one. Too bad about the bike getting crushed! I'm working on mine now, just pulled it all apart and need to try and come up with a plan to put it all back together. For sure working in a apt is going to be interesting! Good luck!

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 11:07:53 am »
the paint as it looked when you got it immediately reminded me of the new triumph bonneville t100, as they have silver side covers and black tank
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline cafe2be

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 11:23:57 am »
DKB, sorry to hear about your accident. recently had the same happen to me. I have a great attorney, that is a fellow biker. Let me know if you need his info. He is a real bull! and did a great job for me.
Good luck!

Offline DKB

• E3
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 08:23:42 pm »
Some minor updates:

I ordered a new seat from Roc City Cafe today, removed the seat hinge and helmet hooks from the frame, and found a nice set of finned point/dyno covers on ebay:

Also just scored a nice donor 76 550 locally for 300.00 bucks. Same exact year and model. I really only need a handful of items so if anyone else has a 500/550 and is in need of anything specific get in touch. Seems to be complete and original minus the exhaust. Any ideas as to what kind of pipes these are?

Offline Dead Bound

• SouthDown
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 08:39:38 am »
Those pipes look like MAC 4-2 drag pipes.  I have the same ones. 

I may be interested in the engine guards and the original points/dyno covers "Honda".  Let me know something.   

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 09:47:58 am »
Nice find on the Roc City, some good looking stuff.  Site is kinda weird to navigate though.
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline DKB

• E3
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 10:45:06 am »

I may be interested in the engine guards and the original points/dyno covers "Honda".  Let me know something.   

I went ahead and created a post for 76 CB550 parts available in the "For Sale" section in order to consolidate all of the parts requests and keep this thread centered around the build process. I sent pm's to all who responded and will be updating the following post with parts info and availability:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=62585.0

Deadbound- I have the covers ya need and sent you a message. Sorry for any confusion on my end:)

How do you like the Mac 2 into 1's on your 550? Haven't come across these exact pipes before and was wondering if they are worth trying out as I really dig the profile and how they fit the bike.

Offline Dead Bound

• SouthDown
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 07:20:06 pm »

I went ahead and created a post for 76 CB550 parts available in the "For Sale" section in order to consolidate all of the parts requests and keep this thread centered around the build process. I sent pm's to all who responded and will be updating the following post with parts info and availability:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=62585.0

Deadbound- I have the covers ya need and sent you a message. Sorry for any confusion on my end:)

How do you like the Mac 2 into 1's on your 550? Haven't come across these exact pipes before and was wondering if they are worth trying out as I really dig the profile and how they fit the bike.

They sound pretty aggressive.  I plan to cut them off right before the turnout so they will point straight back.   

Offline dagersh

• "A country attempting to tax itself into prosperity is akin to a man standing in a bucket attempting to lift that bucket by its handle. - Winston Churchill"
  • Expert
    • Photos
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 10:26:50 am »
DKB,

Sorry to hear about your bike.  I hate NYC for my bikes for that very reason.  I have seen too many idiot's in SUV's who have no concept of how to parallel park.  Last time I saw one hit a bike, I called the police with their license plate and left a note on the offended bike, hopefully the owner got in trouble for a hit and run.

The bike looks like art sitting in your apartment!  Where are you in the City?

Gersh
1962 CA95
1966 Black Bomber
1966 CA77 Dream
1967 Superhawk
1970 CB750K0
1972 CL350
1972 CB450/500 Custom
1972 CB500K1
1975 CB550F
1976 CB400F
1975 CB750 Future Restoration
1976 CB750K6
1976 CB750F
1976 GL1000

1968 Suzuki T500 Cobra
1990 BMW K1
2001 'Busa
2003 RC 51
Bunch of Guzzi's

http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/dagersh/

Offline DKB

• E3
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 06:52:59 am »
I'ts hard to have anything nice in the city that's not bolted down or locked indoors. My bikes been hit 3 times in three months. I think I can swap out bars, mirrors and turn signals in my sleep by now. I've got the bike upstairs for the winter which actually turned out to be a relief as I'm no longer looking out the window every ten minutes.  We've got this horrible "Chad and Brad" hooka bar across the street that draws a lot of tools in SUV's that park by brail. (Im on 3rd St in the East Village)

Very cool of you to grab the plate info on the guy you saw take down a bike. Wish someone had done the same when mine was laid out for the count. I'm looking into finding a garage to set up shop and store my bike come spring. Hopefully somewhere in Greenpoint or Across the bridge. Don't want to deal with the street parking pinball once the rebuild is complete.

It's kinda funny watching everyone's reaction walking into a 4th floor studio apt with a bike sitting right past the door. I just sold my couch to make room for the motorcycle lift I picked up and a set up a make shift work bench. Hoping to get through the majority of the work asap so I can transform my apt back into a livable space instead of a garage with a bed in it;)

Where ya located? I've got a small arsenal of tools and just picked up a Morgan Carbtune if ya ever need any loaners or a hand with your bike. Theres a few other guys in my area with CB550's and 750's on my block as well.

Offline edbikerii

• Master
    • Gallery
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 07:21:35 am »
Yeah, I got sick of my bikes getting knocked over on 69th street, so I bought a house in Jersey with a garage (and 4 bedrooms, a driveway, dining room, basement, etc.).  My mortgage was only a little bit more than my rent for the studio in NYC!!!

It is much easier to work in the garage than it was to field strip the bike in front of the brownstones on 69th street, and carry all the parts & tools up & down the 5 flights of stairs to my old studio apartment every time I needed to take a piss.

Sometimes I miss girl-watching while I work on my bikes, though.
SOHC4 #289
1977 CB550K - SOLD
1997 YAMAHA XJ600S - SOLD
1986 GL1200I - SOLD
2004 BMW R1150R

Jetting: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=20869.msg258435#msg258435
Needles:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=20869.msg253711#msg253711

Offline JBMorse

• Hot Shot
    • Travel Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 03:49:53 pm »
It's kinda funny watching everyone's reaction walking into a 4th floor studio apt with a bike sitting right past the door. I just sold my couch to make room for the motorcycle lift I picked up and a set up a make shift work bench.

LOL Now you're talking!!!  The sign of a true vintage bike lover!  I don't blame you. 
Your bike looks great.  Good luck with the project!
1971 CB500K

Offline DKB

• E3
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 05:43:43 pm »
My new seat arrived yesterday and seems to be a pretty nice fit on the 550 frame. I've got to sort out a mounting system but it should be straight forward enough.

Spent a bit of time cleaning up the pipes I snagged of the new parts bike and setting up a make shift work bench out of this perfectly timed 100lb piece of wood I found out front.

This morning I conned some unsuspecting friends into helping me drop the engine out of the frame.

And the bike as it sits now...

I've got a lot of cleaning and polishing to do before heading outta town for the holidays. Should keep me busy for a while...

cbrace0012

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 11:21:29 am »
I commend your efforts to do an indoor rebuild.  I am close to finishing my rebuild which was done partially indoors.  I kept the frame and motor in a parking garage for the whole build but the residual parts were cleaned, painted, stripped, etc. in my apartment.  The only thing I can say is don't let too many chemicals sit in your sinks for an extended period and to be careful not too scratch the floor.  Both of these were mistakes of mine so I have some nasty stains in my kitchen sink and scratches on my kitchen floor from moving around my exhaust pipes.

Offline Holdingfast

• It's all up in the air.
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 04:00:46 pm »
Aw how i miss NY. NOT traffic, but pretty much everything else.
Looks good! I like that seat!
Glad to see someone else without a garage and going through with a rebuild! Keep postin! :)

Offline elquenada

• Hot Shot
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 05:04:11 pm »
I love that you're doing this in the apartment but I have to wonder doesn't your apt smell of gasoline?  I had my 550's carbs parked in a box in my closet for a while and I had to move them downstairs cause it started to stink the place up. 

anyway im in NYC too lucky for me though my landlord rents me a cheap spot in his garage.  If you ever need a hand let me know.
1975 CB 550

"A veces lo que es contra lo justo
por la misma razón deleita el gusto" 
Lope de Vega

Offline DKB

• E3
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 05:50:17 pm »
I split town for the holidays and headed south to visit family. Good times in the Sunshine State. Beats the hell outta the current 20 degrees and windy. I got back this week and have been keeping super busy with the project. Spent a ton of time getting into the engine and frame cleaning thing up and prepping for paint. Took a while and made a hell of a mess degreasing and prepping everything but as of today, the engines bolted up and finished.

I had a very slow leak from under the valve cover gasket which was addressed. I replaced all of the puck seals and installed new gaskets on the following:valve cover, breather cover, side tappet inspection gaskets, starter cover, points cover, dyno cover, and valve adjustment tappets. Everything's torqued back down to spec. Painted the parts and engine with Duplicolor High Temp Engine Paint and am curious to see how it holds up. Looks pretty good for now. Wish I had access to a better work area and parts cleaner/blasting cabinet, but for spraying everything under tarps  5 feet from my bed and 10 feet from the kitchen, I'm happy with the results. Still high on paint fumes, but happy nonetheless.

Before:

During:

And After:

I have to finish cleaning up and painting the frame next and am hoping to reinstall the engine this weekend.  Just ordered new tapered steering bearings and rear shocks as well as a ton new replacement bolts and screws for the rest of the bike, fork seals, headlight ears, etc...

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 06:59:33 pm by DKB »

Offline Simpson

• I ain't no
  • Expert
  • Aged to perfection
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 06:16:08 pm »
This thread is a great read. The paint must have really smelled great in the apt.  ;D
Windows must have been open.
Looking foeward to seeing you progress.
1970 CB750 K0
1975 CL/CB 360 Mix

Offline DKB

• E3
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 09:14:31 am »
Yeah...the paint fumes and chemical smell has been a bit to deal with but bearable if timed properly. I've been cracking the windows and running an exhaust fan while working but it's still kind of toxic. I try and time it where I paint parts then split for a while so the place can air out. I was shaping and glassing surfboards in a make shift bay in the apt last year and by comparison- this is heaps cleaner. Should have the apt back in living condition come spring:)

I've got to prep and sand the frame and a few other smaller parts but past that should be done with most of the dirty work and on to reassembly and tuning.

On a parts note- UPS just showed up with a new set of rear shocks, Tapered Steering bearings, Fork Seals, Fork Oil, Healight Ears, a bunch of misc bolts and nuts from Z1 to replace the old junk. The last parts I need to order are sprockets/chain and a set of clip on bars and I should be all set. I also just picked up a NOS Jardine 4 into 2 exhaust kit for the CB500/CB550 that looks pretty nice. Super heavy chrome and seems to be well made. Curious to see how it sounds...

Does anyone have any suggestions for removing the old steering bearing cases from the frame without a brass drift? Trying to avoid buying more tools at present and was wondering if I could use something else I had lying around as an alternative without damaging any parts. I'm hoping to get around to painting the frame this weekend and install the new bearings and shocks.

Offline dagersh

• "A country attempting to tax itself into prosperity is akin to a man standing in a bucket attempting to lift that bucket by its handle. - Winston Churchill"
  • Expert
    • Photos
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 11:26:56 am »
DKB,

Sorry I have been away myself.  I am at 13th and University, so in the neighborhood.  Love what you are doing with the bike.  Very funny that you sold your couch to make room. 

On the races in the steering head, if you have a heat source, heat up the head, and use whatever you can to knock out the races.  You are not reusing them anyway.  Just make sure you are banging on the race and not part of the steering head.  I used a steel drift, but the Honda manuals say to use a wooden drift, so anything should work.  I think the heat is what really gets things moving.

Gersh
1962 CA95
1966 Black Bomber
1966 CA77 Dream
1967 Superhawk
1970 CB750K0
1972 CL350
1972 CB450/500 Custom
1972 CB500K1
1975 CB550F
1976 CB400F
1975 CB750 Future Restoration
1976 CB750K6
1976 CB750F
1976 GL1000

1968 Suzuki T500 Cobra
1990 BMW K1
2001 'Busa
2003 RC 51
Bunch of Guzzi's

http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/dagersh/

Offline SHELLFISH

• Enthusiast
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 02:26:32 pm »
The bike is looking good! It amazes me that you are doing all this in a NYC apartment!
Kudos sir!
I want to die like my grandfather did...in his sleep and not screaming like the passengers in his car!

Offline elquenada

• Hot Shot
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 03:35:58 pm »
your paint job looks great! i have to say im pretty jealous.  I wasnt planning on painting my ratty cases but after seeing the pics of your low-tech paint job im reconsidering.  My engine is currently living on my apartment floor too and im sure my wife is just as anxious to get it back on to the as I am.
1975 CB 550

"A veces lo que es contra lo justo
por la misma razón deleita el gusto" 
Lope de Vega