Author Topic: '71 750 custom cruiser style ive been building looking for some feedback  (Read 3554 times)

Offline horning88

• Hound Dog
I have more pics of the work i did if there is anything anyone wants more info about. Hope you like it.
With my hobart in hand and a pile of scrap metal at my finger tips I feel I can rule the world!

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
Re: '71 750 custom cruiser style ive been building looking for some feedback
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 04:29:09 pm »
Interesting..  Frame has been konged and hard-headed, swingarm looks to be a DOHC arm, I see a big-twin oil tank and fuel tank, comstar in the rear, unsure what rim that is up front (harley?), MDI dual rate shocks, custom forward controls, relocated ignition...

Lots of work there for sure, let's see some more pics.

Something looks awkward, though, about that rear fender and wheel combo.  Can't quite put my finger on it.

Also, looks to me like you need a longer brake torque arm.  Get a longer throttle cable too, that sharp kink just below the elbow will cause problems. 

What seat is that?

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline horning88

• Hound Dog
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 06:17:52 pm »
The oil tank is hand made using the internal vent chamber off the original. I also made a battery box that is mounted between the oil tank and pod air filters. The swing arm is the oem i welded in a tab 3/8" thick to lengthen the bike another 4 1/2" inches and get a better angle on the suspenion for a better ride. Another frame mod was i cut out the frame between the fuel tank and shock towers and welded in new ones 4 1/2" lower in the rear.(as im really short any extra i can get i'll take haha) The fuel tank is a dyna 1 piece. The rear fender is off a shovel head i removed the tail light mounts and made one off the side.  the seat i made using a '05 sportster seat, I made a glass pan cut and added foam as needed to make it fit the sportster cover. The front end is a off a '84 750 shadow. The forward controls are using the stock hiway bars just put tubes the fit over and made hym links to bolt to the stock shifter and brake clamps i cut off leaving 2"of the lever to drill. I think i mounted the fender a little high maybe thats what your seeing, the throttle cable is plenty long its just pulled up under carbs are not on it in this pic i was soaking them Ill post more pics soon

With my hobart in hand and a pile of scrap metal at my finger tips I feel I can rule the world!

Offline horning88

• Hound Dog
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 12:11:00 pm »
cut the frame

Offline horning88

• Hound Dog
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 12:14:03 pm »
new tube cut notched and welded in

Offline horning88

• Hound Dog
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 12:19:15 pm »
moving the swing arm back 4 and 1/2" i made the leveling stands out of an old bed frame and some 1/2" allthread and a few nuts and i aligned the swingarm using a craftsman laser line

Offline horning88

• Hound Dog
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 12:22:38 pm »
battery box and oiltank i made from 16 guage sheet metal

Offline horning88

• Hound Dog
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 12:24:10 pm »
i cut the fillneck off the stock tank and took the vent chamber out of it also and made to fit this tank

Offline horning88

• Hound Dog
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 12:28:14 pm »
fender struts were made from 1/4" steel plate and cut out on my table saw that i installed a chop saw blade on. Worked Great!

Offline horning88

• Hound Dog
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 12:32:46 pm »
making the seat using sportster foam and cover (i did have to add foam in some places and had to cut the sportster foam to get a smoth flowing look) I love tearing apart harleys to build a honda hahaha  ;D

Offline Spikeybike

• when planting C4 at your enemy's base make sure you don't use a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • member #1150
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 01:00:56 pm »
 different for sure  8) 8)   

i would push the forks through the trees a little to level out the frame with the ground ,

and i take it the comstar wouldn't fit on the new front end

Offline horning88

• Hound Dog
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 01:07:50 pm »
I bought the comstar on e-bay its the closest wheel i cold find to match up with the shadow front ( wich i like cause it has dual disk ) I have the spoke rear wheel but it looked way worse than the comstar.   Thanks for the input mystic and spikey

« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 01:14:05 pm by horning88 »

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 01:19:34 pm »
You may want to add gussets where the seat rails meet the rear (shock) rails, I've read that konged bikes tend to crack in that area due to the shock pushing forward on it.

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline horning88

• Hound Dog
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 01:35:24 pm »
I added some on top when i made the seat plust the fender struts are also gussetts welded to the inside of them.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 01:37:52 pm by horning88 »

Offline horning88

• Hound Dog
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 10:46:49 pm »
took it out today for a round the block test ride all is working great