Author Topic: Temporary fix for cut frame tubes.  (Read 5056 times)

mgood

Temporary fix for cut frame tubes.
« on: April 11, 2010, 10:51:28 am »
This is a temporary fix, for safety reasons get tubes welded back in. I learned that a couple of the old motorcycle shops use to cut the frame tubes so they didn't have to pull the engine to do head work, they are no longer in business ( I think I know why! ) I discovered that the the CB750f I bought had the frame tubes cut. That's my luck...lol well an old motorcycle guru shared this temporary fix with me. Turnbuckles you can get them at your local hardware store. Like I said this is a temporary fix. I'm having tubes welded in mine next week. here's a couple of pics.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
Re: Temporary fix for cut frame tubes.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 11:25:30 am »
This is a temporary fix, for safety reasons get tubes welded back in. I learned that a couple of the old motorcycle shops use to cut the frame tubes so they didn't have to pull the engine to do head work, they are no longer in business ( I think I know why! ) I discovered that the the CB750f I bought had the frame tubes cut. That's my luck...lol well an old motorcycle guru shared this temporary fix with me. Turnbuckles you can get them at your local hardware store. Like I said this is a temporary fix. I'm having tubes welded in mine next week. here's a couple of pics.
Its not as odd as you might think. MANY of us non-shop mechanics have done this. APE sold a tube replacement kit by the thousands (I have 2) to allow the removal of those tubes and install removaable tube instead.

I see your relatively new. On this forum is the now famous "Gordon's Frame Tube Kit" which is a robustly engineered kit to allow one to remove those pesky tubes and replace with removable tubes. I'll try to get the link.

So yes it was done, is still being done, and is a popular modification. DOn't poopoo it.

PS: Link: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64333.0

There have been thousands of bikes with those tubes cut out and no attempt to replace with anything. No known documented frame failures. But the replaceable tube kit solves the problem completely.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 11:29:08 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 07:25:38 pm »
If the tube is under compression that wont help.. I am not sold that it actually helps..

They did it cuz the owners WANTED it done...
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

mgood

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 07:43:42 am »
Thanks MCRider for the link definitely something I'll look into. 754 as for not helping when I got this bike if you took your hands off the bars it would start to shake with the turnbuckles on I can be going 40 mph and let go and there's no shake and it's straight as an arrow, so I would have to say it helps a lot. I shared this trick/tip because it was an inexpensive fix, something I could do easily and quickly and it help the handling  of my bike greatly until I could find a more permanent solution. And now I have another solution. Thanks again MCRider.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 07:55:42 am »
Thanks MCRider for the link definitely something I'll look into. 754 as for not helping when I got this bike if you took your hands off the bars it would start to shake with the turnbuckles on I can be going 40 mph and let go and there's no shake and it's straight as an arrow, so I would have to say it helps a lot. I shared this trick/tip because it was an inexpensive fix, something I could do easily and quickly and it help the handling  of my bike greatly until I could find a more permanent solution. And now I have another solution. Thanks again MCRider.
You're welcome.

As to the head shake, its more likely due to bad steering head bearings. Putting the turnbuckles in firmed things up for sure, but a bike with the bars cut out AND good steering head bearings wouldn't shake. I don't think so.

The stock steering head bearings are usually only good for about 10,000 miles in the best of conditions. Raise the front end off the ground. with one hand lightly on the end of a handlebar, turn the fork lock to lock. If you feel it drop into a "detent" when you reach nearly straight ahead, its the steering head bearings.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 09:02:57 am »
I cant let go on the bars on this one, but I know the back rim is bent swingarm needs work, needs steering bearings. I can get rid of some of it by lwering air pressure in front tire.. frame is intact..

I have ridden bikes with the frame cut out, even 2 up with 6 over forks..1200 miles on a weekend.. It rode pretty good actually..

Point I was making, a turnbuckle only holds one way, the overlapping sleeves and bolts are probably stiffer.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way