Author Topic: bare steel gas tank... coating options?  (Read 29963 times)

Offline strawhouse

• Enthusiast
bare steel gas tank... coating options?
« on: January 22, 2011, 07:01:19 am »
Just wondering about what type of coating should be used on a bare steel gas tank to prevent it from rusting?  Also the coating would have to be gas resistant in case of a spill.  Is clear coat an option?  Or what else might work?
Pacifist with a gun

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
Re: bare steel gas tank... coating options?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 07:07:53 am »
I have sprayed Dupont 380's clear over lots of items,love that stuff.

Offline Kong

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 07:10:39 am »
All bare metal should be sanded with 80 grit (for tooth), cleaned, and immediately shot with epoxy primer.  Use no substitutes and for goodness sakes do no use an "etching primer"  Epoxy, nothing else. 

On edit: Once you've got it sealed you can use anything you want on top of that.  It its a bare-metal-looking finish you want you can get a better looking and much more durable one by painting it on rather than coating the bare metal itself.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 07:18:09 am by Kong »
2002 FXSTD/I  Softail Deuce
2001 Acura (Honda) CL Type-S
1986 Honda Rebel, 450
1978 Honda CB550K
1977 Honda CB550K

nomad

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 07:16:19 am »
I've recently started considering a product called Gun Kote to use on my frame/ engine when I get to that point in the build.  This stuff is suppose to be tough as nails, easy to keep clean and resistant to all kinds of chemicals.  HOWEVER... like I said, I have yet to reach that point in my build so I have no first hand knowledge of the product that I can share.  All I can tell you is that so far, I've been impressed with what I've read about it.

http://www.kgcoatings.com/protective-coatings/2400-series-gun-kote/

From what I've seen, it may work well in your situation.  It comes in a gloss clear (2409), a satin clear (2409S) and a flat clear (2409F) finish.  You'll find these under the "choose color" option below the product picture and description.  You might want to give them a call, tell them what you're wanting to do and see what they say.  If it won't work, you've only wasted a phone call.  But, I have a feeling it probably will.

Here's a link to the other thread where I brought this stuff up...

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=82505.0
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 07:21:28 am by nomad »

Offline nickandkristy02

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 07:23:23 am »
i know this sound crazy but alot of the 2stroke guys that have bare metal pipes coat them with mop-n-glow........yes mop-n-glow

this a pic of one from a 2t forum i get on

« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 07:27:52 am by nickandkristy02 »

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 07:33:05 am »
Bare polished metal tank:

I used POR-15 Glisten PC to coat it and ended up with rust forming underneath the clear cloat (my fault no doubt when applying it). I have gone back to just polished and its fine. Just needs to be polished now and again.

good luck
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline strawhouse

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 12:48:30 pm »

I used POR-15 Glisten PC to coat it and ended up with rust forming underneath the clear cloat (my fault no doubt when applying it). I have gone back to just polished and its fine. Just needs to be polished now and again.

good luck
Andy

Awesome looking bike!  That is the look that I was trying to get

Pacifist with a gun

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 02:41:59 pm »
Clear satin powder coat!
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline gane

• Gane
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 07:34:53 pm »
 If you've sanded to bare metal & are going to paint over, zinc chromate is the deal. provides a good "footing," & your'll never have to worry about external blistering. (ps, I did proly a dozen paint jobs before learning old paint & some one elses bondo regardless of age were no win propositions) G

Offline mrjuanch

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 10:03:57 pm »

good luck
Andy

Hi Andy,

You mean by just polished, keep sanding it until it gets to mirror like finish? Or applying some product and the polish with it? I just finish my tank and wanted to know how to protect it.

Offline 750K

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 11:06:38 pm »
i know this sound crazy but alot of the 2stroke guys that have bare metal pipes coat them with mop-n-glow........yes mop-n-glow

this a pic of one from a 2t forum i get on

Not crazy at all, liquid floor wax works well to seal bare metal. I know metal workers that used it years ago on projects, you do need to re apply it now and again but that's no different than polishing bare metal.
77 Cb750, 78 Kz1000

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 06:37:17 am »
Running a bare metal tank is a good idea, and waxing it certainly helps protect it. If I might add, you MUST remember to remove the tank periodically and treat the underside for rust prevention too. Else, you will take the tank off one day and genuinely kick yourself.

Some tricks for bare metal: after sanding it down, use ScotchBrite pads stroked in a straight line to provide a beautiful brushed finish. This can remove sanding swirls and provide a uniform finish. You can then apply whatever finish top layer (wax, clear, etc). Simply wiping the metal down periodically with WD-40 will also keep it protected. May make your pants messy if you ride too promptly afterwards though.

Lastly, nickel plating is an outstanding look. Hard as nails, won't tarnish, and produces a beautiful lustre without the shine.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 06:46:02 am »
Hi Andy,

You mean by just polished, keep sanding it until it gets to mirror like finish? Or applying some product and the polish with it? I just finish my tank and wanted to know how to protect it.

This is the tank 3 years later:

I dont even sand it anymore. I just use Autosol metal polish (http://www.autosol.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1820) every once in a while and buff it out by hand. Probably would be shiner with a buffing wheel but I dont have one. Probably not perfect up close but it looks good from 5 ft  ;). The underside is painted on mine so no rust there either.

Good luck
Andy
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 06:47:48 am by andy750 »
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline knowsnothing

• Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 10:28:09 am »

Hi Andy,

Initially it was just protected with a light coat of carnuba wax.  I guess he is using autosol now to keep it looking pretty.  I would still wax it every once in a while if it was me.....*cough* Andy *cough*.....
1978 CB750k Green - 811 engine
1978 CB750k Blue - for sale
1974 CB375F Faded Black - had to have that 6th gear
1976 CB400F Red - in many pieces
1973 CB350F TBD - in many pieces

Offline mrjuanch

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 10:46:11 am »
Wow awesome buddy, thanks so much. Here's mine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 03:15:29 pm »

Hi Andy,

Initially it was just protected with a light coat of carnuba wax.  I guess he is using autosol now to keep it looking pretty.  I would still wax it every once in a while if it was me.....*cough* Andy *cough*.....

Maybe it really needs a repeat buff to match the shiny chrome airbox waiting to go on it  8)
Current bikes

Offline atm cycles

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 04:47:32 am »
On my f3 I had few years ago I used wax on a 0000 steel wool. Did try wd-40 once but didn't care for it because it left a rainbow look to it. Most people would think it was aluminum.  Don't know where this bike is now. Last I knew it was in PA
Only one I truly miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ncstatecamp

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 01:18:26 am »
They've come a loooong way with powdercoats. The brush with scotchbright the PC clear, or they make polished aluminum PC that looks hella good too.

Offline Powderman

• Master
    • Creative Candy Powder Coating
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 08:57:45 am »
I did this one in a gloss clear powder coat for a member on another forum.

Offline atm cycles

• Hot Shot
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 09:12:54 am »
Now I know why you are powderman. Great looking work!! Wondering ? Do they make PC that would look like color anodized?

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 09:09:54 pm »
Now I know why you are powderman. Great looking work!! Wondering ? Do they make PC that would look like color anodized?
The finish of anodize is wholly dependent and the finish of the metal before anodizing. If you part is brushed aluminum your anodize will be brushed in that color. If the part is polished it will be a polished anodize look. We have some flat anodize colors in red and blue. I think the sample pic could be brighter if the aluminum bottle were polished first, but it would still be a flat color:

If they ever develop a powder that looks like the Gold anodize we see on so many bikes I'll be able to make some serious money. :D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:11:45 pm by Powderman »

Offline atm cycles

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 08:03:13 am »
The finish of anodize is wholly dependent and the finish of the metal before anodizing. If you part is brushed aluminum your anodize will be brushed in that color. If the part is polished it will be a polished anodize look. We have some flat anodize colors in red and blue. I think the sample pic could be brighter if the aluminum bottle were polished first, but it would still be a flat color:

If you could do polished Gold you would get some of my $$. On the flat colors if you did gloss clear over it would it make color gloss?

If they ever develop a powder that looks like the Gold anodize we see on so many bikes I'll be able to make some serious money. :D

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 09:47:33 am »

If you could do polished Gold you would get some of my $$. On the flat colors if you did gloss clear over it would it make color gloss?

Took me a minute to find your message in here because you put your reply in the wrong spot. But yes, if you clear coated it it would be glossy. I'd have to run a test sample to see what shading difference it might make. We also have Flat Anodize Purple.

Offline atm cycles

• Hot Shot
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 10:12:16 am »
I'm a stick & stone kind of guy. Been member here for like 3 yrs & just figured out how to post a week ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Chachi

• Hot Shot
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 02:38:12 pm »
I have not done it, but I've seen most guys strip with aircraft stripper and then just maintain with Boeshield T-9. And some just maintain with WD-40.
73 CB750 K3
72 CB500 K1 - Sold
75 MR50 Elsinore K1