Author Topic: I'm cranky.. can we have a new rule...?  (Read 5060 times)

Offline phil71

• Master
I'm cranky.. can we have a new rule...?
« on: June 07, 2011, 09:53:06 am »
Don't post a question whose correct answer and/or procedure will be completely over your head or skill set.
       I learned this while cruising the brain surgeon forums. A guy was trying to walk me thru a simple home lobotomy (sorely needed after reading most of the electrical questions here), and I got stuck. I didn't know the frontal lobe from the hippocampus, and try though they might, none of those surgeons on there could explain to me how to get it done.
      I'm currently on to this rocket science forum... some guy is trying to convert a retired space shuttle from liquid to solid propellents, but man, everyone's making fun of the poor bastard. He also put pods on.

Offline c(b)hris

• Enthusiast
Re: I'm cranky.. can we have a new rule...?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 09:55:36 am »
gotta learn somehow.
75 CB550
74 CB750

Offline gnarlycharlie4u

• Far from being an
  • Expert
  • two steps forward, two steps back :-/
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 10:26:10 am »
I lol'd pretty hard at this.

I don't mind the stupid questions. I do mind when people don't search.
or they do search and don't like the answers they get so they post the same question AGAIN hoping someone will tell them what they want to hear.

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 10:28:05 am »
How do you know if the correct answer and/or procedure is above your ability until you ask the question? 

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 11:01:04 am »
I lol'd pretty hard at this.

I don't mind the stupid questions. I do mind when people don't search.
or they do search and don't like the answers they get so they post the same question AGAIN hoping someone will tell them what they want to hear.

Having posted my fair share of stupid questions (with more to come) I'm pretty tolerant of that.  ;)
What I find really annoying are vague thread titles like "77 550 carbs", "cb350f clutch", or "spark plugs".
Yeah? What about them?   >:( ::)
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline gnarlycharlie4u

• Far from being an
  • Expert
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 11:22:42 am »
How do you know if the correct answer and/or procedure is above your ability until you ask the question?

like I said. they researched it but didn't comprehend the answers that were found. So they ask again hoping the solution will be something like "oh just connect the blue wire to blue wire, or make sure your ground wire is connected"
Having posted my fair share of stupid questions (with more to come) I'm pretty tolerant of that.  ;)
What I find really annoying are vague thread titles like "77 550 carbs", "cb350f clutch", or "spark plugs".
Yeah? What about them?   >:( ::)

I agree, I usually click hoping for the best. Occasionally if I can give a pretty straight foreward answer I do, especially if there's a ton of other info posted.
"Biek won't start no idea wut?!" threads bother me a lot though, especially when it's apparent that no effort has been put forth on the OP's part to figure out what the problem could be.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 11:24:49 am by gnarlycharlie4u »

Offline phil71

• Master
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 12:33:57 pm »
my personal favorite is the " I reject the advice without trying it". Or "I already checked that and have power there. What do you mean by a 'test light'? "

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 12:46:16 pm »
Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

Offline ieism

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 12:56:43 pm »
I reject your new rule. Lighten up.
---cb550---

Offline Skunk Stripe

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 01:29:02 pm »
So let me ask this. What if the bike is new to you? A person has to learn somewhere. Maybe some are lucky enough to have fathers to show them things like this but some have to learn it all themselves.
"Biek won't start no idea wut?!" threads bother me a lot though, especially when it's apparent that no effort has been put forth on the OP's part to figure out what the problem could be.
What if they do not know where to start?
ike I said. they researched it but didn't comprehend the answers that were found. So they ask again hoping the solution will be something like "oh just connect the blue wire to blue wire, or make sure your ground wire is connected"
Maybe they DID search, or maybe they did not know what to search for or did not put in the proper key words. What then? Should they just shut up because someone thinks the answer is there?

And if you do not find your answer, how do you know the procedure is over your head unless you ask?

This attitude is pretty elitist and does less to forward motorcycling than shows like american chopper.

I see no one twisting your arm to read the post, or is that some sort of upgrade a person can get?

Offline gnarlycharlie4u

• Far from being an
  • Expert
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 01:51:51 pm »
So let me ask this. What if the bike is new to you? A person has to learn somewhere. Maybe some are lucky enough to have fathers to show them things like this but some have to learn it all themselves.
What if they do not know where to start?
ike I said. they researched it but didn't comprehend the answers that were found. So they ask again hoping the solution will be something like "oh just connect the blue wire to blue wire, or make sure your ground wire is connected"
Maybe they DID search, or maybe they did not know what to search for or did not put in the proper key words. What then? Should they just shut up because someone thinks the answer is there?

And if you do not find your answer, how do you know the procedure is over your head unless you ask?

This attitude is pretty elitist and does less to forward motorcycling than shows like american chopper.

I see no one twisting your arm to read the post, or is that some sort of upgrade a person can get?

Speaking of reading posts did you read mine? I'm saying "stupid questions" are to be expected, but questions with an obvious lack of effort or information really irk me.
There are a ton of "bike won't start" threads already that give a pretty good checklist of things to go over. If they searched "cb750 k won't start" they've got a pretty good place to start and a lot of info to work with.

As for it being over their head. I said that maybe they researched it but didn't like the answer they got so they went looking for a different answer to the same question. I have friends that do this. They ask me why their car is knocking, I run the codes and get a "misfire cyl1" code. I tell them and the response I get is, Well new plugs and wires are expensive there has to be another way.
It's really annoying when people ignore your advice and start blindly pointing fingers at other potential (but  non-existent) problems instead. This kind of approach doesn't exactly encourage me to want to help other people.

I started like most other people. No prior knowledge of these bikes at all. I knew a little bit, like what spark plugs and pistons were. But for the most part I made sure to read up a whole lot and understand what I was dealing with so I could ask the right questions.
I feel like there would be a whole lot fewer threads in this forum if everyone at least read the FAQ page before posting.

Offline Skunk Stripe

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 02:21:15 pm »
I agree if a person got info and didnt like it. I am talking about purely new people who have no idea where to start.
If someone has a history of re-asking a question trying to get a different answer, or should know enough by now to have a manual and have been told how to search, well I completely agree. They are just being lazy.
Again, I am only standing up for new people, such as those with only 10 posts if that.

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 02:38:57 pm »
Now we're really getting grumpy!  ;)
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline gnarlycharlie4u

• Far from being an
  • Expert
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 02:53:09 pm »
I agree if a person got info and didnt like it. I am talking about purely new people who have no idea where to start.
If someone has a history of re-asking a question trying to get a different answer, or should know enough by now to have a manual and have been told how to search, well I completely agree. They are just being lazy.
Again, I am only standing up for new people, such as those with only 10 posts if that.

Yea I usually cut them some slack, but I feel like most people should know that the first place you look is the FAQ's.
I'll usually reply (although not so much on sohc4) with a link to my search results, the post that answers teh question, and the question+answer from the FAQ.

I'm just a big advocate of teaching a man to fish rather than giving him your dinner.

Offline phil71

• Master
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 03:28:10 pm »
I was trying to make light of something, but you know.. since it's going down this road..  I have only a passing idea of string theory. I don't go up to a physicist and ask for a detailed explanation of dark matter, and why its discovery is important because it will be a waste of his time on this planet.  I also suck at calculus.

Offline vames

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 03:44:22 pm »
I kinda agree with Phil, but not just for over your head stuff. This site is a huge brain trust, massive in scope and ingenuity, highly giving and sharing and friendly. I understand that this is the web and it's public and there is no knowledge barrier to entry but from time to time I get a little bit galled at how little respect people have for the community. This site helps us understand our motorcycles and the experience and theories of our fellow riders. It's about thinking, so it's a little disconcerting to see people barking out questions and demanding answers when it's clear they didn't give it any thought or effort. It does help to search and read and think before posting a question. You should only go to the oracle if you can't answer your question on your own. I think there are a lot of lazy people attracted to the "free brain trust" aspect of the site, totally unaware and unrespecting of the immense value they're getting for their money ($0). Some of the categories:

Not using search. The search sucks compared to what it used to be, but you can still find stuff. Try before you post. You'll be surprised.

Not even giving a hint of interest that you're interested in how things work. You're not willing to look at your carburator and really think about how it works, but you demand that someone tells you what jets to use with the pods you just bought at the swap meet. Remember the guy who said that he wants to get velocity stacks because his air filter was getting too dirty? Not thought about what the bike needs or how it works.

Not listening. When TwoTired tells you what you need to look at to determine why your bike isn't sparking and you go on and on about how you changed your rectifier and cleaned your carbs and it's still a mystery, you aren't listening. I get it -- you want to be the unique guy that stumped the forum, but you're basically just a guy with a broken bike that won't listen.

Talking out your a$$. It's your first CB. You're asking why your carbs seem to be dripping, why you can't idle under 5000 and your pipes are getting red hot and your bike turns sharply to the left if you let go of the handlebars. They you say how you're going to get clubmans and velocity stacks and a hot cam  and 3 ohm coils and 160 back tire because you need to go faster.

You're cheap. You say you want to build the bike of your dreams, but when you find out that a decent set of tires costs a minimum of $150, you just ask everyone where you can get them cheaper. You want your head ported, bored, valves ground but you only want to pay $100. You're aspirations are bigger than your wallet.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:48:49 pm by vames »

Offline 74cb750

• Old Timer
    • old japanese parts and bikes
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 04:21:47 pm »
Heck, I'm cranky now. I come online to relax, laugh and share.
Sometimes the people I communicate with are a little dense, but
I usually will give someone the benefit of the doubt.

Me thinks the number of posts that are duplicated can't really be all that high, right?

My only beef is when I see a post in the wanted section that states "sidecover"
and then the poster fails to list the year, make and model of his mount.

If a person has a difficult time understanding an explanation....well I say
different strokes for different folks, just be patient and attempt to explain the
solution to the problem from a different starting point.

peace,
michel
Laugh at least once a day.
Life  $ucks, then you die.
You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.
God forces us to live with  non-believers to test our resolve.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 05:30:52 pm »

Sounds like most of the current POD threads .......Some posters just ignore what they don't want to hear...... :o
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Skunk Stripe

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 07:26:24 pm »
WHAT???? Pod users don't want to hear the truth?  ;D

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 07:46:41 pm »
I like to reply stupid answers to stupid questions! [I mean real stupid questions...]

Example that I just saw:  "Can I sell the old parts on my project bike that I don't use?"

Told him he needs to give them away!!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 07:54:46 pm by Stev-o »
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline 333

• Time for change
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Mail List Member #162 - Call me Stan
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 07:51:17 pm »
But really!  Who doesn't know the difference between the frontal lobe and a hippo campus!
Go metric, every inch of the way!

CB350F0  "Scrouching Tiger"
CT70K0    "Sneezing Poodle"

www.alexandriaseaport.org

Offline rklystron

• I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 08:02:19 pm »
Hippocampus
1970 CB750 K0 (Bought in 73)
1972 XL250 (Bought new in 72)
1973 ST90 (Free)
1975 XL250 (Free)
1975 Rickman CR750
1982 CBX1000 Pro-link
1975 CB750 DRAG BIKE
1977 Custom Built CB750 Sturgis Bike (GL front end).
1977 CB750 F2 (Big Resto)
1977 CB750A (Auction Buy)
1978 CB750 K8 (My San Francisco ride)
1984 VFR750 (Bought New)

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 08:25:30 pm »
Yes there are stupid ?'s but what gets me not are a$$holes that feel compeled to open them and #$%*.  No one is forcing you to open a thread.  Especially if you dont like the topic!!!!!! 
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 09:02:13 pm »
Yes there are stupid ?'s but what gets me not are a$$holes that feel compeled to open them and #$%*.  No one is forcing you to open a thread.  Especially if you dont like the topic!!!!!!

How the hell are you supposed to know what's in the thread if you don't open it..?  And its a forum mate, everyone is entitled to their opinion whether you like it or not.....
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 09:12:27 pm »
Maybe from the topic. :o     And if you open it and dont like shut the F up and ignore it.
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker