Author Topic: Performance alternators and starter motors.  (Read 4275 times)

Offline Gonzowerke

• I burn asses like a Bhut Jolokia, 'cause I'm a real
  • Hot Shot
  • Member #106, Owner of the ORIGINAL Frankenbike!
Performance alternators and starter motors.
« on: March 06, 2012, 06:35:34 pm »
Hey all,

I see aftermarket alternators, like the one at CycleX, and they say kickstart only. Why? What does the alternator have to do with the starter? It draws off the battery to start, not the alternator. What, if anything, am I missing?

Thanks,

Gonzo
1977 F2 "Highway Star"
1977 F2 "Bike-In-A-Box"
1978 K8 "Frankenbike"
1991 CRX Si "Buzz Bomb"
2000 Jeep Wrangler "UBoat"
2011 BMW S1000RR "TIE Fighter"

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Performance alternators and starter motors.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 06:55:03 pm »
What, if anything, am I missing?
The part where you pay Cycle x for the "performance upgrade".
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline cbr954

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 07:00:08 pm »
The aftermarket Cycle X alternator does not have the starter gear and clutch assembly.  There is noting for the starter to engage, thats why it is kick only.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 07:03:00 pm by cbr954 »
03 CBR954RR, 72 750 chopper(970cc
F2 head), 2017 CRF450R, 2001 CR250R, 72 CB500, 79 XR250, 04 CRF50,70's soon to be rebuilt cb750 drag bike.

Offline jonnycakes

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 07:29:25 pm »
I've got it so I can run my Chobber with out a battery........
'Matic-Fanatic

Offline Gonzowerke

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 07:35:01 pm »
The aftermarket Cycle X alternator does not have the starter gear and clutch assembly.  There is noting for the starter to engage, thats why it is kick only.

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Dammit! That never occurred to me, I was too busy thinking from the electrical side of things, and forgot how the starter engages on our bikes.

Thanks guys, for not calling me a dumbass! :D
1977 F2 "Highway Star"
1977 F2 "Bike-In-A-Box"
1978 K8 "Frankenbike"
1991 CRX Si "Buzz Bomb"

Offline jonnycakes

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 07:39:28 pm »
the moving part is light and tiny (rotating mass)
'Matic-Fanatic

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 07:46:23 pm »
The stock rotor can be made awful light, too light by some standards and still retain the elecric start hardware.

Another advantage for dropping the starter gear hardware is to narrow the overall package.

I think also the CycleX alternator produces less current and as a corrollary is less of a HP drag on the motor, (takes HP to make electricity)  to the tune of 2HP or so. I'm pretty sure this is in the promotional pieces about the alternator.  As such, it couldn't keep up the battery on a bike and an electric starter anyway.

OCICBW, electricity is not my strong suit.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Gonzowerke

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 08:19:30 am »
The stock rotor can be made awful light, too light by some standards and still retain the elecric start hardware.

Another advantage for dropping the starter gear hardware is to narrow the overall package.

I think also the CycleX alternator produces less current and as a corrollary is less of a HP drag on the motor, (takes HP to make electricity)  to the tune of 2HP or so. I'm pretty sure this is in the promotional pieces about the alternator.  As such, it couldn't keep up the battery on a bike and an electric starter anyway.

I have other plans in the works for a slimmer alternator, from a more modern Honda streetbike, so charging shouldn't be an issue. This is going on my F so I can fit a CR750 Fairing without cutting a hole for the stock protuberance. I was just wondering about the Kickstart issue.
1977 F2 "Highway Star"
1977 F2 "Bike-In-A-Box"
1978 K8 "Frankenbike"
1991 CRX Si "Buzz Bomb"

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 08:22:52 am »
Gonzo: Many have thought about it, none have done it that i know of. I would really like to hear if you have succcess grafting on a slimmer alternator.  Sans elect start of course.   :D
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 05:30:21 pm »

The stock system draws/produces less than 1/3 HP (746 watts= 1HP) ;)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 06:07:27 pm »

The stock system draws/produces less than 1/3 HP (746 watts= 1HP) ;)
I quickly defer to you.

Here's the link.
http://www.cyclexchange.net/Elec%20System%20Comp%20Page.htm

Comment on this claim?: (magnetic pull)  "Note: Honda's 3 Phase filed excited charging will create a magnetic pull when the regulator tells it. The magnetic pull call reduce horsepower. Reduced rotating weight and less magnetic pull makes the Cycle X Charging System the best choice."
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Gonzowerke

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 06:26:46 pm »
Gonzo: Many have thought about it, none have done it that i know of. I would really like to hear if you have succcess grafting on a slimmer alternator.  Sans elect start of course.   :D

I have some weird ideas, and they involve retaining electric start, and fabbing a custom cover out of one of the many stock covers I have sitting around. I need to visit a junkyard too, and see iff they have the bike I set my sights on for the donor. It will be a later model with no excitement coil, and a solid state rectifier if all goes well.
1977 F2 "Highway Star"
1977 F2 "Bike-In-A-Box"
1978 K8 "Frankenbike"
1991 CRX Si "Buzz Bomb"

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 06:39:47 pm »
I certainly agree with Scottly about the small Horsepower drain with the stock alternator.
The only saving grace would be the weight of the rotating mass.  Less weight in the flywheel effect does take less horsepower to change its inertial momentum.

I would suspect the most difference would be on a bike with minimum weight, that is just waiting for the engine RPM to pick up.

Seems like a waste for a street bike.  I can see it for racing/drag racing, etc. where people will trade money for extra margins in speed in tenths of a second.

Also note, that less flywheel can make idle speed, uh, less smooth and taking off from a stop require more throttle twist, as a lightened flywheel helps less at getting the bike to more forward smoothly.  Again, racers probably don't care about that.

Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 06:54:46 pm »
I certainly agree with Scottly about the small Horsepower drain with the stock alternator.
The only saving grace would be the weight of the rotating mass.  Less weight in the flywheel effect does take less horsepower to change its inertial momentum.

I would suspect the most difference would be on a bike with minimum weight, that is just waiting for the engine RPM to pick up.

Seems like a waste for a street bike.  I can see it for racing/drag racing, etc. where people will trade money for extra margins in speed in tenths of a second.

Also note, that less flywheel can make idle speed, uh, less smooth and taking off from a stop require more throttle twist, as a lightened flywheel helps less at getting the bike to more forward smoothly.  Again, racers probably don't care about that.

Cheers,
Thanks TT and Scottly, that clears things up about the drag and HP gain.  I readily admit my lack of knowledge on such things.

As to the other comments on weight, etc. I agree. Could be overkill on a streetbike.

I have seen a mild 836 that had an early weight rotor and the owner sheared off the end of the crank. Seen a few actually. I think the lighter K3 (CB750) OEM rotors probably are light enough to take care of that.

Lighter than that has tradeoffs with smooth idle, controlled launch etc.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 06:47:47 pm »
 Here's a website with other options to run......... ;)   8)

http://www.hpi.be/kits.htm
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 06:52:38 pm by BLUE71TURBO »
Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 08:02:51 pm »

I have some weird ideas, and they involve retaining electric start, and fabbing a custom cover out of one of the many stock covers I have sitting around. I need to visit a junkyard too, and see iff they have the bike I set my sights on for the donor. It will be a later model with no excitement coil, and a solid state rectifier if all goes well.

Already been done on the forum mate, its in one of the fuel injection threads, a VF800 rotor and stator were used and if done without spacing the rotor to fit the stock cover,  18mm can be shaved off the stator cover..... I am thinking of doing something similar...
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Gonzowerke

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 11:02:57 pm »

Already been done on the forum mate, its in one of the fuel injection threads, a VF800 rotor and stator were used and if done without spacing the rotor to fit the stock cover,  18mm can be shaved off the stator cover..... I am thinking of doing something similar...

Haven't been on in a while, just saw this. Thanks! I was looking at CBR parts, but will check into the VF!
1977 F2 "Highway Star"
1977 F2 "Bike-In-A-Box"
1978 K8 "Frankenbike"
1991 CRX Si "Buzz Bomb"

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 11:19:39 pm »
Hi Gonzo, i should have said VFR 800.... ;)

Its somewhere in this thread mate...

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=30624.0
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.