Author Topic: For people that say velocity stacks are bad for your engine....  (Read 44738 times)

Offline 750K

• Expert
Re: For people that say velocity stacks are bad for your engine....
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2012, 10:47:31 pm »
Stack.....or non-stack? :D
Haha, that would be like having a crotch rocket and a bagger. One built for speed, one for comfort, both would be great to ride.
77 Cb750, 78 Kz1000

Offline rhinoracer

• Hot Shot
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2012, 01:03:09 am »
Here's my experience running with an air filter that wasn't sealing correctly against the airbox.

Baja native.

Offline socalenduro

• Hot Shot
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2012, 09:42:15 am »
You can get by without filters on personal watercraft, but that's about the only piston engine I know of and have experience with no air filter.

and thats most likelty because the salt water will destroy it before anything else gets the chance!!!

Offline Rgconner

• Hot Shot
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2012, 09:47:21 am »
Here's my experience running with an air filter that wasn't sealing correctly against the airbox.

If that does not make people see the light... nothing will!
1975 CB550K aka "Grease Monkey"

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2012, 09:50:43 am »
 Some people just worry,,wayyyy too much...
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2012, 10:11:11 am »
Have you ever cleaned your bike and noticed all the grit, sand and / or pebbles that collect right beside  the starter cover( 750 )? Why not just scoop it up and funnel it into your carburetors. It's a perfectly acceptable place to dispose of gravels and such, and will keep the debris you clean off your motor from taking up unneeded space in your TRASH CAN!

Trash goes in the trash can. Not topside of your engine. C 'Mon guys, you know better than all that...
The darn fool didn't know it couldn't be done...so he went ahead and did it anyway.

My Hackjob build- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=106103.0

Offline cmonSTART

• Hot Shot
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2012, 12:57:54 pm »
Rhinoracer:  What is that??  (besides shot!)   :o
1981 GL1100 Interstate
1978 CB750F Project

Offline rhinoracer

• Hot Shot
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2012, 08:56:16 pm »
Belongs to my DRZ400.
Baja native.

Offline Dimitri13

• Not a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB550K
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2012, 09:13:27 pm »
Non-stack's body with stack's stack and face.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2012, 09:40:02 pm »
Here's another analogy - how many bugs will Frank's beard filter out on a spirited ride?  ;) (kidding Frank kidding)  :)

Steve, think in that case I'd go with non-stacks. Stacks are too distracting for business at hand  :D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 09:42:20 pm by Jerry Rxman Griffin »
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2012, 09:40:25 pm »
Non-stack's body with stack's stack and face.

Now...they aren't like Mrs. Potato Head.  You can't rearrange the parts. ;D

Offline Billy Bones

For people that say velocity stacks are bad for your engine....
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2012, 10:16:51 pm »
I cut the bottoms out of coke cans and used to run em as stacks on my CB750. I run stacks or pods on everything. Had to rebuild top end on my 350 because the butterfly in the choke broke loose, got sucked in and popped a hole in a piston. I bet running stacks isn't a great idea, but I do so many worse things it's way down the list. Every time I see My bike, I think to myself, "man that's a good looking bike" and as long as it stays on the road I'm happy.

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2012, 01:57:42 am »
What I always fail to understand in discussions like this: how can it look "cool" if obviously it's not doing good? How can imitational behaviour look "cool"? Since when can being stupid look "cool"?
Another thing. All means of transportation have so called fast moving parts. Things like oil, spark plugs, filters, etc. You know this in advance when you acquire a vehicle. Live with it! Best to have these from the manufacturer (warranty). Why is it so many here find it difficult to spend some bucks on the best filter available? I find them reasonably priced, they can be serviced in 10 seconds and Honda cannot be praised enough they're still on the shelf. You can contribute to this. You and and Honda are in this together.
Why always looking for the cheapest as the highest goal and even go so far to buy in a chain of stores that violates your own constitutional rights?
Has nobody read (New York Times recently) how far Walmart went in Mexico?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 02:26:23 am by Deltarider »
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2012, 02:50:46 am »
ive just put my bull#$%* filter on,,hey it works!!

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2012, 07:44:42 am »
OP has thoroughly convinced me with his winning argument and from now on I will go without filters of any kind on my vehicles from now on FOREVERS.

I mean, we are all gonna die some day any way, amirite, AMIRITE!?!?!?!?!?
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline Dyrden

• Hot Shot
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2012, 08:47:28 am »
I ordered the PJ Motorsports stack filters yesterday.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2012, 10:00:40 am »
  The reason I wasnt running them, my bugeyes filters started crumbling.. and rather than search for NOS replacements, that may do the same thing, I decided to build an airbox or filter housings.. for my Webers.. just never got to it..yet.

Part of the challenge was my carbs are splayed, but I do have straight manifolds to play with now. I founds stacks have bogging problems at times, but it was probably my manifolds leaking..

Then years and yrears went by, but that old 836 just kept running.. finally It blew something in 07 and got retired.. a good many years longer that it should have run..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2012, 12:40:30 pm »
OP has thoroughly convinced me with his winning argument and from now on I will go without filters of any kind on my vehicles from now on FOREVERS.

I mean, we are all gonna die some day any way, amirite, AMIRITE!?!?!?!?!?

Why do you shout at us?
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2012, 12:58:17 pm »
Oh, I could intarwebs shout if you really want me to.
I would rather not since I have taken all the filters off all my vehichles, I feel they were just being held back from their true potential as filterless machines.
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

Offline Lostboy Steve

• Old Timer
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2012, 02:00:12 pm »
What I always fail to understand in discussions like this: how can it look "cool" if obviously it's not doing good? How can imitational behaviour look "cool"? Since when can being stupid look "cool"?
Another thing. All means of transportation have so called fast moving parts. Things like oil, spark plugs, filters, etc. You know this in advance when you acquire a vehicle. Live with it! Best to have these from the manufacturer (warranty). Why is it so many here find it difficult to spend some bucks on the best filter available? I find them reasonably priced, they can be serviced in 10 seconds and Honda cannot be praised enough they're still on the shelf. You can contribute to this. You and and Honda are in this together.
Why always looking for the cheapest as the highest goal and even go so far to buy in a chain of stores that violates your own constitutional rights?
Has nobody read (New York Times recently) how far Walmart went in Mexico?

A few months ago I got really, really depressed about acquiring type 1 diabetes at a young age. Long story short my little brother put it all in perspective for me. In his words "Steve, the only thing that's going to kill you any time soon is that #$%*ing awesome looking but totally uncomfortable Buell that you ride." I realized that he's absolutely right in two ways. One, I worry way too much, and Two, my Buell is the most badass looking thing around but is completely uncomfortable, unreliable, and probably somewhat unsafe. Some because of its design, and some because of the aggressive riding position I have created. To answer your question, looking cool is usually unsafe or uncomfortable, lol thats probably what makes it "LOOK COOL".
1968 Honda Z50
1977 Honda CB550K
2018 Indian Scout

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2012, 02:18:35 pm »
LQQK COOL man, that is teh most important thing. I prescribe massive amounts of Ed Hardy, Affliction and Vad Douschel gear.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2012, 07:53:18 pm »
 I dug out those carbs today, pretty darn filthy..inside and out..

When I rode my ailing 836 to Bonneville in 07, a lot opf people seemed surprised that I would even ride it there.. I put that off to its general tired appearance and condition.. maybe it was the strutted rear, or the open carbs.. I dont know.. they couldnt have known the motor was 25 years..
 But I will say this.. I made it there and back.. and I did not see any of you guys there... except 1080 rode his K8 750 out there and we rfode back together..

At the end of the day, it dont matter what you run.. matters more if you rode it.... jmo...
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline 750K

• Expert
« Reply #97 on: May 04, 2012, 10:16:00 pm »

A few months ago I got really, really depressed about acquiring type 1 diabetes at a young age. Long story short my little brother put it all in perspective for me. In his words "Steve, the only thing that's going to kill you any time soon is that #$%*ing awesome looking but totally uncomfortable Buell that you ride." I realized that he's absolutely right in two ways. One, I worry way too much, and Two, my Buell is the most badass looking thing around but is completely uncomfortable, unreliable, and probably somewhat unsafe. Some because of its design, and some because of the aggressive riding position I have created. To answer your question, looking cool is usually unsafe or uncomfortable, lol thats probably what makes it "LOOK COOL".

I gotta agree with you, those Buell XB9's & 12's are some of the best looking new bikes out there. I've wanted one from the moment I saw one.
77 Cb750, 78 Kz1000

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2012, 10:36:02 pm »
"Man up"???   What does all this have to do with being "a man"? I hate that term man up. It just strikes me as childish to tell someone else to be "a man" about something just because they disagree with your opinion.

Man up? Ok,I'll bite.  Dirty air is bad for an engine.Period.No arguing that. Even a child would know that...or do you have to be a man to know that dirt scratches? Hold on,is that right? No,you are supposed to be a "man" and admit that you would only run filters...that was it. Wait...but filters aren't needed and it would take a "man" of experience to understand this. I'm confused.

Simplified version.Cliff notes,if you will...dirty air is bad and will wear out an engine,carburetor,etc faster then clean air. It's not opinion,its science. Abrasive material...uhm...scratches stuff...who knew?!?!

Speaking of manning up...(i still hate that term)I took out my frustrations at the wrong place.

Simply put,when I posted this I was being a d!ck.

My apologies 754.
The darn fool didn't know it couldn't be done...so he went ahead and did it anyway.

My Hackjob build- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=106103.0

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #99 on: May 04, 2012, 10:41:24 pm »
 Its all good, we are just trying to explain how we think about things..
dodogas99@gmail.com