Author Topic: International Tag Team Project 750 K6  (Read 33133 times)

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
International Tag Team Project 750 K6
« on: June 03, 2012, 12:23:01 am »
The story: My wife and I moved to Melbourne Australia and I wasn't able to bring any bikes with me. In fact, I had to sell my cb750 before we left AR. Lucky for me I asked Terry if he could help me find a bike to build while I'm here. Being the nice guy he is, he gave me a 750 K6 to build! He's doing the engine, and I have free roam of the rest of the bike (as long as I don't cut the frame).

The deal: I build the bike and ride as long as I stay. I give it back when I leave. I'm sure there would be some fine print issues if my wife and I decide to stay here for good.

The project: I didn't have much of anything to get started when I got here. The house we rented doesn't have a garage, so I bought a greenhouse and built it in the back yard. Terry and Cliff brought some parts over and this is the start.

Terry's such a nice guy he even gave me Frankenbike covers for the bike!

It took me a bit to get some tools so I could get this project started, but I finally got the basics and now it's go time! I started today with cleaning the carbs a bit. The insides look like they've been recently re-built, so I cleaned up the outside some. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Carbs before

After

I did have one mishap. Sorry Terry.  :o

I got started on the swingarm too.
Before

Is this going to be a problem?

After/where it's at now

I haven't gotten any power tools yet, so I was just using a wire brush by hand to clean up the swingarm. I'm ready to get some power tools.

I've never started a bike from the beginning like this, so it's been a little hard for me to decide where I should start. I think after I get some stripper and finish the swingarm I'll get into the wheels because they seem like they need some TLC. If anyone has any suggestions I'm happy to hear them. Cheers!

Offline Godffery

• Godffery's Garage
  • Expert
  • Wisdom brings a realization of how little we know.
    • Godffery's Garage hosted by VinMoto.org
Re: International Tag Team Project 750 K6
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 07:43:55 am »
   Man, What a deal!
I'd say your off to a good start.

It looks like that swingarm has been modified with some "reinforcement" strips of steel..?

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 08:06:34 am »
Sweeeeeet!  It's the Aussie/American K6 Combo Bike ;D

maduncle

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 03:45:47 pm »

Excellent - I have been waiting for this thread to start, now I can sit back and watch what gets built in the little greenhouse.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 07:44:07 pm »
Wow - Terry really is a nice guy! 
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 07:57:49 pm »
Looks good adam. If your open to advice, I would clean and paint everything to get a rolling chassis. Rebuild.forks.if needed. That will.clean up your shelves as.well. Cant wait to see you and abby on it

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 12:43:22 am »
Brad, that's my plan. I think the forks are good to go. Maybe Terry will chime in if he remembers. They look good. I may have to delete the deal we have. Not sure if he wants people to know he's a nice guy.  ;D What all needs powder coating? The frame is already done (I forgot to uncover it before taking the pic). I know most people do the swingarm, but it seems like it could be expensive just for that. I'll have to talk to Terry about that too. Maybe he has an oven we can use. I'm not even asking my wife about that! I guess my next step will be buying a drill and wire wheel for it. The rear wheel is going to need a lot of work. I'll get some pics when the sun's up.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 01:11:57 am »
   Man, What a deal!
I'd say your off to a good start.

It looks like that swingarm has been modified with some "reinforcement" strips of steel..?

Yep, i would just put an almost closed "shifting spanner" over that brace and bend it back straight, finish it off with a hammer and a flat edge on something.
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 01:38:26 am »
Looking good Adam, don't worry about the busted drain plug, I've got heaps of CB750 carb sets, so no biggie, and I've got some rebuild kits here if you want to make 'em like new inside too? The swingarm was on a race bike I bought, you can leave the bracing on or remove it, it's only brazed on, I had to bend it out to remove the brake plate brace bolt, if you straighten it as Mick suggests, you might want to file a notch in it so you can get the bolt in or out. Don't forget to make me up a list of what parts you need, I'll be glad to get them out of my garage! I bought those forks on EBay "as is" from the US, so I'll bet you a slab of Coopers Sparkling Ale that they'll need a rebuild. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 03:22:58 am »
The inside of the carbs already look nice and new, so I didn't see any point in taking them apart more than I did. I'll make sure I make a list of parts needed as I go. For now I think I just have a lot of cleaning to do.

maduncle

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 05:03:54 am »
Bye the way - that first photo on the thread?

Your bike has some wicked antlers.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 01:24:04 pm »
Bye the way - that first photo on the thread?

Your bike has some wicked antlers.

A newly discovered breed!  The Australian 736cc Longhorn ;D ;D

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 03:27:04 am »
I know it's been a while, but I put down the beer and stepped away from the coast long enough to do some more work. I even got a light for my shop....err greenhouse! It adds some extra warmth too.

I finished cleaning the swing arm.

I got started on the rear wheel.

I'm not sure if the rim is too bad or not. What do you all think? Terry said he has another, so I just haven't started on the rim yet. I just knocked some of the rust off to take a pic.

I started thinking a little wild about the color scheme for the bike since paint shouldn't bee too far away. I'm thinking of a copper color for the wheels, hubs and maybe swing arm, and match the tank with that copper and put a blue stripe on the tank to tie in the side covers. Sounds kinda crazy, but I think it could work. I'll just have to see what happens.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 03:41:54 am »
Nice work Adam, I love your "shed" (and I'm glad it hasn't blown away yet.......) and the color sounds interesting too. That rear rim looks a bit dodgy though, I'll see what else I've got here, you don't want a 16" rear do you? I've got at least one of them, and a matching Harley front rim, if you want something a little different? Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 03:52:18 am »
I'll take whatever I can get, but if it makes it any shorter I'd rather not go smaller. I raised my old F3 up a couple inches, but really, anything you don't mind getting painted copper works for me. I'm mean, for the price I can't really #$%*. ;D

maduncle

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 03:57:00 am »

You know, you could get the raw parts plated in copper - it is the first step in getting parts re-chromed, and then Terry could always get the chrome plating finished later on...

... or just use paint!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 04:02:32 am »
No worries mate, I've got a few different wheels here, so you've got some options. I'm not trying to sway you either way, but I do have a new set of chromed custom spokes for the 16" rim................... ;D

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 04:13:29 am »
Less work always sounds nice. I'll take whatever you decide to bring me. Toss a coin if need be. Just let me know if you're bringing a different front wheel too so I don't cut the nice rubber off and clean up the one I have so you can let it sit in your garage and get dirty again. ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 05:13:59 am »
Okey Dokey, I'll bring over a couple of options  and you can decide what you'd prefer. Cheers, Terry. ;;D

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 02:58:33 pm »
After doing a little cleaning on the new HD wheels I've decided to get them powder coated or copper plated. I called a place in Footscry about pc and they said it would cost $200 per wheel?! I also talked to a chrome plating place about copper plating, and they said it would cost about $150 per wheel. So, Terry and Cliff, I may need help with your contacts for pc and plating. I'm thinking of at least doing the rims and hubs in copper plating, but I'm still on the fence. I guess if I do wheels and hubs I should go ahead and do the swing arm too.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 03:52:23 pm »
After doing a little cleaning on the new HD wheels I've decided to get them powder coated or copper plated. I called a place in Footscry about pc and they said it would cost $200 per wheel?! I also talked to a chrome plating place about copper plating, and they said it would cost about $150 per wheel. So, Terry and Cliff, I may need help with your contacts for pc and plating. I'm thinking of at least doing the rims and hubs in copper plating, but I'm still on the fence. I guess if I do wheels and hubs I should go ahead and do the swing arm too.

Gday Adam, i would ring around mate, thats a stupid price for powder coating a wheel, i used to do powder coating and know how easy it is....  Talk to Terry, he knows some powder coaters...
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 01:47:12 am »
G'Day Adam, those prices are just silly, I get all my powdercoating done at ADA Powdercoating in Thomastown, not far from my place, and to give you an idea of their pricing, they blasted and coated the K6 frame for around 200 bucks from memory.

http://www.adapowdercoatings.com/

Cliff got a really good deal on his chrome plating, I use Preston Plate also in Thomastown and they're good, but I think Cliff's chromer would be cheaper, and probably faster too. Cheers, Terry. ;D

maduncle

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 03:35:59 am »

Here is who I used,

http://www.sterlingplating.com.au/?page=

They would do copper plate on those rims easy.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 04:59:29 am »
Ah, I know those guys, they de-chromed an exhaust system for me years ago, it was amazing how nice and new that pipe looked once the rusty chrome was removed! Don't forget though, if you get 'em copper plated and polished, you'll either need to get them clear coated to preserve the shine, or buy a lot of metal polish and rags! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 05:22:00 am »
Thanks for the info guys. I'll probably call them both tomorrow to see what the price difference would be. I'm still really liking the idea of copper plating over paint (other than the polishing part). I unlaced the front hub and cleaned it up a bit today. I can't be bothered to upload the pics right now. Maybe tomorrow.