Author Topic: CB750 - Evelyn  (Read 6832 times)

Offline Dream750

• Hot Shot
Re: CB750 - Evelyn
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 06:55:37 pm »
Also, does anyone know where I can source a new metal strip that lines the bottom of the gas tank?
There’s probably some other aftermarket tank trim strips out there, but I have personally used three sets (so far) from from David Silver Spares (UK) and the overall quality, fit and finish is nearly identical to the original Honda trim:

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB750K4-FOUR-1974-USA/part_125412/

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 06:25:03 am »
There’s probably some other aftermarket tank trim strips out there, but I have personally used three sets (so far) from from David Silver Spares (UK) and the overall quality, fit and finish is nearly identical to the original Honda trim:

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB750K4-FOUR-1974-USA/part_125412/

8)

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 06:27:42 am »
I'm not a pro, and I don't think that they sit high enough on the tank, but I like how the decals turned out.  Putting on the brand new emblems today or tomorrow.

I fixed a binding issue with my pads and rotor only to discover that the rotor is ~1 inch too small in diameter.  It had some a three letter/number code etched into it, but I can't recall off the top of my head.  I'll report back just in case anyone wants it.  It has fresh gloss black powdercoat on the inside of it.  Looks sharp.  I went ahead and pulled the trigger on an EBC slotted piece. 

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 07:56:03 am »
I bought pads from VintageCB750 for my specific model year (75), and they didn't fit.  Also, the inner piston seal was too small in diameter.  This leads me to believe that the caliper is from a different bike.  Can anyone verify which year model this caliper came from so I won't have to go through a process of trial and error?

Crossed posted from another thread I just updated:

We fixed the binding issue.  I did have the piston in upside down, but I decided to replace it anyhow.  I figure I might as well since there is more pitting on there than I'd like.  I was looking at a build thread earlier for a 74 CB550, and I noticed that the calipers are remarkably similar looking.  When I did research on sites that sell OEM parts, they actually accept the same pads, bleeder screw, and hard pipe, but they have different piston seals and possibly pistons altogether as they are still available for the 550 but not the 750.

Before I stumbled across that build thread this morning, I purchased a new piston on eBay for what I thought was the 77-78 CB750K caliper that I have.  How easily should it slide in with the caliper seal in?  I purchased a new 77-78 piston seal, and althought it seems to fit pretty snug, the old piston would not press in fully just by hand.  I used a large socket and mallet to gently tap it in.  I just want to make sure I have all the correct parts!

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2013, 06:54:40 pm »
First ride tonight in a couple of months.  Will be looking into a 520 chain/sprocket set from Cyclexchange soon.

Offline racinchase

• Enthusiast
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2013, 08:05:39 am »
looks great!!! Love the front rotor too.
“The right bike, the right day, the right road, I just pretty much feel at one with the universe. When I feel like I don’t fit anywhere or I’m lonely or I’m all screwed up in the head, I get on my bike and go for a ride and it’s like all of the sudden, I’m fixed.” – Indian Larry

1975 CB750 K
2009 R1

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2013, 08:13:11 am »

Thanks, dude.

I ran out of gas like a pro on the first ride.  Petcock wasn't secured well enough, so I had to push the bike to a nearby gas station.  I'm going to enjoy the bike for a little bit, and then I'll start looking into rear fender and seat upgrades.

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2013, 10:58:22 am »
Looks great !     Love the red.   Honda and red just go together.
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline Viktor.J

• Breaking in the forum
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2013, 02:39:06 pm »
Nice job with the tank strip. Mine is also red, and since i bought it i had the thought of maybe puting on one of the gold strips.. how did you do ?

Viktor
Please ! Take a look and give me feedback in my project thread, its much needed :)
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=112745.0

Honda CB750 K2

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2013, 04:27:33 pm »
Nice job with the tank strip. Mine is also red, and since i bought it i had the thought of maybe puting on one of the gold strips.. how did you do ?

Viktor

Basically, I put the decals onto a cardboard box and cut an exact template out.  From there, I put the cardboard on the tank with double-sided tape after measuring things out to make sure both "stripes" were even.  I outlined the tank with dry erase marker where the cardboard was, removed cardboard, then applied the decals.  I thought I did a pretty good job, but I'll probably try the soapy water/squeegee method next time. 

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2013, 04:29:37 pm »
More or less same with the emblems, too.

Offline racinchase

• Enthusiast
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2013, 11:15:56 am »

Thanks, dude.

I ran out of gas like a pro on the first ride.  Petcock wasn't secured well enough, so I had to push the bike to a nearby gas station.  I'm going to enjoy the bike for a little bit, and then I'll start looking into rear fender and seat upgrades.

Thats funny. Seems these older bike give you tons more cool storyes to tell! Enjoy it!!!
“The right bike, the right day, the right road, I just pretty much feel at one with the universe. When I feel like I don’t fit anywhere or I’m lonely or I’m all screwed up in the head, I get on my bike and go for a ride and it’s like all of the sudden, I’m fixed.” – Indian Larry

1975 CB750 K
2009 R1

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2013, 09:47:05 am »
Got the CycleXchange chain and sprocket set installed.

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2013, 10:46:06 am »
She sure is pretty  ;)

Offline eelliiss

• Enthusiast
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2013, 10:48:15 am »
She sure is pretty  ;)

Thanks!  Nice to finally really enjoy her now that she's back together and the weather is getting better.   :D

Offline stuartni

• Enthusiast
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 04:38:14 am »
bike looks great nice work

Offline Garystratos201

• I have never been a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2013, 12:15:48 pm »
Beautiful color and really looks good with the gold stripe..........Gary
Visit my build project;
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=111620.0

Current ride; Bass boat.... 2005 Ranger 521VX,250 hp Mercury Verado, super charged and direct fuel injected. Not a bass on the lake can out run me !!!