Author Topic: Sandcast 4286 Project  (Read 148554 times)

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
Sandcast 4286 Project
« on: March 02, 2013, 02:47:09 pm »
I've always wanted a '69 or '70 CB750 ever since I got into this whole thing, and I found one.  It's a mid-number sandcast, and it's been off the road 15 years.  Unfortunately it has a K1 motor :-\ so I'm on the hunt for a 4xxx sandcast motor, or cases.  It's a running bike, and I paid a fair price for it.

I have a great set of 4-cable carbs thanks to Bill Benton, a gold/black stripe tank, and a set of HM300's off my K6.  I'll probably use the Corbin until I find a nice ducktail seat.

(The K6)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 09:01:55 pm by Greggo »

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
Re: Sandcast 42xx Project
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 02:56:16 pm »
My list so far:

K0 side covers...probably buy them from FrankenStuff
K0 air box...might grind down the ridges on a later one
New 18" rear hoop, spokes to re lace what's hopefully the original two-hole hub
4xxx Sandcast motor or cases
Ducktail seat...Yamiya is damn expensive, but looks the most original
Fork ears
Wrinkle tank...only if I find a decent one for $300 or less - I've seen it happen

It has:
One smooth oil hose
Black kill switch
Unpainted caliper
Small taillight, and I think the original rear fender
K1 gauges...I'll rebuild them into sandcast style with parts from Lecram

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 03:15:20 pm by Greggo »

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 04:10:24 pm »
Nice find Greggo.

Edit:  it has the small tailight, sorry, misread it.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 08:12:30 am by Stev-o »
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Prospect

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 05:40:29 pm »
Great find!  How did you find it? 

Are you planning to do a full restoration or just good enough to ride etc.  Is it possible to covert the k1 gauges to sandcast by just buying his plastic cases and faces or is there more involved.  I'm asking because my sandcast came with the same k1 gauges.  If you get a chance can you post a pic of the brake fluid reservoir.

I've seen k1 and later air boxes shaved down to look like k0 air boxes and have to admit it's difficult to tell the difference from 6 feet away.  It's a lot of work though. 
Current Bikes

1969 CB750  Sandcast #256
1971 CB750K1
1972 CB750K1
1975 CB400F
1975 GL1000 Goldwing
1954 Harley Davidson Panhead
1957 Harley Davidson Panhead

Toronto Canada

Offline markb

• When I finish my current project I might be a
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 07:26:38 am »
Repro airboxes are available from several sources, LPM, Yamiya, to name two.  I've used both and I think they are plenty good.  The Yamiya one is better but costs more.
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Offline toytuff

• "watching the pinheads"
  • Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 07:30:32 am »
Nice project. I've been running across stuff myself so I'll keep an eye open out here.

Ya just never know.

Subscibed.

tt

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 07:51:58 am »
Nice find Greggo.  Tews has a taillight for you, I was going to buy but have no immediate need.

I think it has the right taillight?  I have a few small ones from my 500's anyway.

Great find!  How did you find it? 

Are you planning to do a full restoration or just good enough to ride etc.  Is it possible to covert the k1 gauges to sandcast by just buying his plastic cases and faces or is there more involved.  I'm asking because my sandcast came with the same k1 gauges.  If you get a chance can you post a pic of the brake fluid reservoir.

I've seen k1 and later air boxes shaved down to look like k0 air boxes and have to admit it's difficult to tell the difference from 6 feet away.  It's a lot of work though. 

I found it on Craigslist, and when the seller called me back he liked what I had to say.  It's in the DMV system, but not titled because it needs a VIN verification.  Since I'm pretty savvy with the California DMV and could make it easy for him, he chose me over the dozen or so other guys hawking him for the bike.  And, he even let me negotiate a good chunk off his asking price when I made it clear I wouldn't part it, or flip it.  He had wanted a bike to chop up for a bobber, and someone at one of the shops thankfully told him he should find a less-special bike to modify, and that this one was worth about $3K as it sat.  He was asking a little less, and needed it gone, so I got it for a fair price I think.  He may even end up buying one of my other bikes to chop.

Repro airboxes are available from several sources, LPM, Yamiya, to name two.  I've used both and I think they are plenty good.  The Yamiya one is better but costs more.

I found the LPM site through the SOOC forum, and I think I'll go with that one.  I wouldn't be able to justify the Yamiya piece. 

Nice project. I've been running across stuff myself so I'll keep an eye open out here.

Ya just never know.

Subscibed.

tt

Thanks TT!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 08:14:17 am »
Now I have to find one to try to keep up with Greggo?!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Garystratos201

• I have never been a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 08:26:43 am »
Nice find , This will be an interesting project. Im in.........Gary
Visit my build project;
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=111620.0

Current ride; Bass boat.... 2005 Ranger 521VX,250 hp Mercury Verado, super charged and direct fuel injected. Not a bass on the lake can out run me !!!

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 06:10:12 am »
Ordered a set of K0 covers from FrankenStuff.  Already primed, and he gave me a great deal.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 06:13:40 am »
Ordered a set of K0 covers from FrankenStuff. 

I believe the originals had some type of screen in the louvered area. We will need to figure out what to use and how to secure. I bought set too, for my upcoming '70 project.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 06:21:19 am »

I believe the originals had some type of screen in the louvered area. We will need to figure out what to use and how to secure. I bought set too, for my upcoming '70 project.

Yes, it's kind of like screen door material.  If I find something appropriate before you do, I'll send you some.

Offline gonzobrian

• Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 06:57:49 am »
Look at your office supply stores for the screen.  They sell desk organizers for pens and stuff made out of wire mesh that is a great match.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 07:31:08 am »
I bought set too, for my upcoming '70 project.

Stev-o, I didn't know you had a K0 project coming up.  What shape is it in, and what parts is it missing? 

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 04:34:30 pm »
The plot thickens a bit...Frame 4286 was registered at some point on the SOOC site with Sandcast engine 4491.  My seller tells me he bought the bike, almost as is from a wrecker/towing guy who had had it sitting since '98, the last year it was registered.  It seems at some point before '98, someone snagged the sandcast motor, and probably some of the rarer parts.  Why the K1 parts were put on....who knows.  Maybe it was never that complete to begin with, and they grabbed the few parts they needed for another restoration, then filled in the gaps to make this one a rider again.   ::) ::)  It's a mystery I will probably never solve.

In other news, I've found a way to circumvent the DMV...no more appointments with grumpy fat ladies ;D  Thank you car lot lady ;)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 05:16:42 pm »
My '70 is actually a K1 but will be a K0 wannabe. It's one of the bikes I bought from NY along with my K2, just been collecting parts for it. Hope to start it this summer.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 06:19:23 am »
My '70 is actually a K1 but will be a K0 wannabe. It's one of the bikes I bought from NY along with my K2, just been collecting parts for it. Hope to start it this summer.

Post up a pic Stev-o! 

Bill Benton is THE MAN!  Now secured K0 forks, seat latch mechanism, and a spare unicorn top bridge.  Hoping to pick up the bike this Saturday if the wx is playing nice :D

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 02:04:55 pm »
Okay, picking it up Saturday, but I walked down to the shop it's at (PO was having work done) and snapped a few more pics to see what I'm getting. No cut fender, a three hole rear fender, the wrong starter/kill switch, wrong oil tank,  but the frame is solid, and I think it has the correct headlight bucket...and that's a short list of what I noticed today. I do have some Sandcast stuff that doesn't belong, like the Very early smooth rubber oil hose, so I may be able to trade for some stuff on the SOOC site.

Is that the very early smooth oil hose?

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 02:58:58 pm by Greggo »

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 07:58:38 pm »

Post up a pic Stev-o! 

Ok, heres a bad pic of it in the batcave, built 7/70. Clean 22K mile motor, check. Nice light bucket/forkears, check. Good unicorn/guages, check. Good small tailight, check. Excellant Orange Sunrise tank and seat, check! Boxes and boxes of spare SOHC parts, check.
Ape Hangers---WHA??

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 08:02:43 pm »
Frankenstuff has some screen for those covers. I think anyway?

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 06:00:20 am »

Post up a pic Stev-o! 

Ok, heres a bad pic of it in the batcave, built 7/70. Clean 22K mile motor, check. Nice light bucket/forkears, check. Good unicorn/guages, check. Good small tailight, check. Excellant Orange Sunrise tank and seat, check! Boxes and boxes of spare SOHC parts, check.
Ape Hangers---WHA??

That's a good lookin K there Stev-o! 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 06:42:13 am by Greggo »

Offline Garystratos201

• I have never been a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 06:20:34 am »
Side covers for sell? Hmm which ones are they? I might be interested....Gary
Visit my build project;
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=111620.0

Current ride; Bass boat.... 2005 Ranger 521VX,250 hp Mercury Verado, super charged and direct fuel injected. Not a bass on the lake can out run me !!!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 06:23:12 am »
Thanks.  Yes, the gold side covers came from the Mother Lode, remember? We traded, you sent me the black tank and covers (no badges).  That tank is now at the paint shop getting new Poly Blue paint work. 

I'll be using K0 side covers on this, already bought some from Franky.  Not sure what color yet. 
Why you selling the gold covers?

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 06:24:57 am »
Side covers for sell? Hmm which ones are they? I might be interested....Gary

They are the gold ones on the K6 in the first post...

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 06:27:33 am »
Thanks.  Yes, the gold side covers came from the Mother Lode, remember? We traded, you sent me the black tank and covers (no badges).  That tank is now at the paint shop getting new Poly Blue paint work. 

I'll be using K0 side covers on this, already bought some from Franky.  Not sure what color yet. 
Why you selling the gold covers?

That's what I thought, but you know...So many parts man ;)  I bought some Franky K0 covers (he already had them primed) and will match the gold from the tank, and those ears.  That gold tank on the K6 is going to live on this Sandcast, so I won't need the matching covers anymore.