Author Topic: 2014 Rally/Relay  (Read 97510 times)

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
Re: 2014 Rally/Relay
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 09:24:39 pm »
We will never do again what we accomplished in 2011: over 20,000 miles ridden on old Hondas.... :'(

Probably true, unfortunately.  2011 was a remarkable thing, and relatively unheralded.  Because it was so remarkable, it is probably unrealistic to expect to get it done every year, if ever again.  It takes a fair amount of commitment on the part of a lot of people.  Plus these bikes aren't getting any younger, hell even mine will probably wear out some day. ;D  I was a little disappointed at first when GZ ended up being shipped last year and ultimately was transported on non-SOHC4s, but it didn't take long to realize it isn't about moving a toy plastic lizard around, but about riding and meeting like minded people who have a thing for motorcycles.  For me from now on it will be just an excuse to go for a ride on my old 750 and meet new people (and hopefully meet a few I met on the other relays again.)  So whatever happens, I'll do my best to participate.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 09:38:56 pm »
it didn't take long to realize it isn't about moving a toy plastic lizard around, but about riding and meeting like minded people who have a thing for motorcycles.  For me from now on it will be just an excuse to go for a ride on my old 750 and meet new people (and hopefully meet a few I met on the other relays again.)  So whatever happens, I'll do my best to participate.
Well said. The best part of the relay for me has always been meeting fellow riders, face to face. It seems like when we do meet, we already know each other from the planning threads. BTW, did you know that Coke is really Santa's alter ego during the off-holiday season? ;D ;D
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 06:44:49 am »
Stev-o, yes when it's time to start planning for 2014 I will be a captain.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline Mooshie

• Expert
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 09:00:40 am »
I like the idea of a mass SOHC-4 meet up.  That would be something to see all these bikes in one place :)--plus I would get to meet people outside of the my usual GZ rally route.  But whatever it ends up being count me in.
1976 CB550F
Standard disclaimer: Remember I am just a girl--so be nice fellows!

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2013, 09:40:04 am »
Danny, first and foremost thanks for trying to coordinate some of the GZ routing this year along the Northeast. I wish things would've gone differently and a stop could've been made in Boston, but like you said, schedules were ever-changing and timing perpetually off.

I think having this conversation now is very important if we want a 2014, which I absolutely do. The biggest issue is knowing when to expect GZ as dropping plans at a moments notice to ride is not a luxury many of us have. Ultimately I think Ofreen said it best:

...it isn't about moving a toy plastic lizard around, but about riding and meeting like minded people who have a thing for motorcycles.  For me from now on it will be just an excuse to go for a ride on my old 750 and meet new people (and hopefully meet a few I met on the other relays again.)

So as much as I would love to re-create 2011 (I wasn't around then, but sounds awesome) or only allow SOHC4's to transport, I think we have to find a way to move GZ on a more organized timeline.

Reservations and FedEx is definitely the "easiest" way to go if we want to reach as many people as possible. I'd like to think we could get him moved around some different regions (without FedEx) if timing/coordination happens somewhat organically (i.e. using FedEx as a last resort to make sure timing stays on point). Plenty of regional events and landmarks are around to make this method interesting.

I love the idea of a giant rally descending upon the unsuspecting town, as Mooshie so eloquently wrote. I've been itching to ride a bit further out of the Northeast and meet a lot of you guys and gals. I don't know how great of an idea this would be as the only GZ event due to people having to commit to traveling, but I like it for an additional event...

-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600

Need a better, newer points cover gasket? How about rubber washers for the headlight bucket? Click the link below:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=122308.0

Offline Bankerdanny

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 11:20:42 am »
We do of course have 2 prior versions of GZ available too. If a coast-to-coast riding event can again be organized that shouldn't prevent us from setting up GZ V1 or Lefty with his own banner and logbook that can accompany a group of SOHC4 club members attending various motorcycle events around the world.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 11:35:29 am »
Danny, first and foremost thanks for trying to coordinate some of the GZ routing this year along the Northeast. I wish things would've gone differently and a stop could've been made in Boston, but like you said, schedules were ever-changing and timing perpetually off.

Crush, you never even posted on the Team 5 planning thread!? Did you expect GZ to be delivered to your front door?
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2013, 12:17:15 pm »
I like the idea of a mass SOHC-4 meet up.  That would be something to see all these bikes in one place :)--plus I would get to meet people outside of the my usual GZ rally route.  But whatever it ends up being count me in.
This, would be COOL!
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline Mooshie

• Expert
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2013, 12:23:00 pm »
Wikipedia says the following:
"From the time of the 1912 additions of New Mexico and Arizona, until the 1959 additions of Alaska and Hawaii, the NGS placed the geographic center of the entire United States at a point near the town of Lebanon, Kansas."
We should have a mass meet up in Lebanon Kansas--Do we have any members there? ;)
I will coordinate a ride from CA to Kansas and pick up those in the in between states.... ;D
I am only kind of kidding!
1976 CB550F

Offline brooze72

• Talk to my friends here at SOHC4 if you need an
  • Expert
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2013, 03:05:31 pm »
Wikipedia says the following:
"From the time of the 1912 additions of New Mexico and Arizona, until the 1959 additions of Alaska and Hawaii, the NGS placed the geographic center of the entire United States at a point near the town of Lebanon, Kansas."
We should have a mass meet up in Lebanon Kansas--Do we have any members there? ;)
I will coordinate a ride from CA to Kansas and pick up those in the in between states.... ;D
I am only kind of kidding!

Hmmm, 1936 Km, 18 hours riding = 3 days, that's doable, when do I need to book a week's vacation?  Michigan guys, where do we meet up?  We'll ride in an SOHC pack cause I know there are a ton in MI (Yes I'm a bit of a dreamer, but damn, it sounds like fun!)
2011, 2012 & 2013 Godzilla Relay Rally Rider
"Hold on loosely...don't let go
 If you cling too tightly...you're gonna lose control"
1972 CB500K1 - restored rider
1981 CB650C - new project

Offline dave the welder

• dave the welder
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2013, 04:29:12 pm »
sounds like fun however I have to stop every 60-65 miles for gas
don't buy it build it

Offline brooze72

• Talk to my friends here at SOHC4 if you need an
  • Expert
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2013, 05:24:31 pm »
sounds like fun however I have to stop every 60-65 miles for gas

You better get some saddle tanks Dave :)
2011, 2012 & 2013 Godzilla Relay Rally Rider
"Hold on loosely...don't let go
 If you cling too tightly...you're gonna lose control"
1972 CB500K1 - restored rider
1981 CB650C - new project

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2013, 06:01:13 pm »

Crush, you never even posted on the Team 5 planning thread!? Did you expect GZ to be delivered to your front door?

Errr, I thought I was Team 6...that's where I was posting. Maybe that's my screw-up, but Danny contacted me about riding to NYC last weekend. I was there by chance anyway but GZ was tied up in Baltimore and not on schedule. So that was my reference to Danny trying to coordinate, Scott.
-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600

Need a better, newer points cover gasket? How about rubber washers for the headlight bucket? Click the link below:

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2013, 06:15:35 pm »
So I looked back to see if I could understand better your reference to Team 5 and I see now that I totally botched consistent communication there. Nonetheless I think my comments about some of the proposed changes are valid based on how this years rally is going.
-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2013, 06:51:29 pm »
Crush, GZ is currently in Gap, PA. The next available rider is in Albany, NY.
Danny, I suggest Team 6 does some planning for this year's relay, before diverting your attentions to next year. ;) 

Offline Bankerdanny

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2013, 07:06:13 pm »
No worries on that, at least for the Michigan to Wisconsin leg. Old School is staying on top of Michigan and I will coordinate getting GZ to Wisconsin as soon as I know the dates for Michigan.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2013, 08:22:37 pm »
What about MN?
Each of the "cat herding" segments, which have occurred all three years, were due to lack of participation AND communication, rather than the fault of team leaders. If you aspire to be a team leader, this year should be a good learning experience. ;)

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2013, 08:44:58 pm »

Not that I know of; My dad was born there, and the family moved west to Colorado Springs in the '30s. Something about dust? ::) The last time I talked to my grandmother in the late '80s, she showed me some pictures she had taken of the farm on a recent trip. One picture was of an out-building completely overgrown by a green plant. Gramma leaned in closer, and whispered "That's marajewanna!"

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2013, 08:59:43 pm »
Kansas?    No offense to our fine KS members, but I think we can do better than that.

Heard Santa Barbara is a friendly place to visit.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Mooshie

• Expert
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2013, 11:16:45 am »
Kansas?    No offense to our fine KS members, but I think we can do better than that.

Ha ha, I can't help Kansas seems to be the geographic center of the US...I was trying to pick somewhere for a mass meet up that wouldn't have any one person riding 3000 miles.   Dash however will go anywhere to meet other fine SOHC-4 members 8)
1976 CB550F

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2013, 12:11:57 pm »
If you were going to have a central meet it should be the Godzilla Gathering with the three or four Gozillas being brought together from the 3 or four regions..

Lefty would be coming from California or somewhere on the left coast...
Pimpzilla/Flyzilla coming from New Orleans and Florida...
etc.

Get the idea?

Start with one or two and pick up riders along the way. If someone has a big toy hauler they could help  with having more complete toolset and spares for commonly needed parts to affect any repairs in the evening for bikes that might develop a problem that could be easily solved or at least get the bike to a populated spot where repairs could be made... They would be running sweep...
Just a thought...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 12:18:25 pm by RAFster122S »
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2013, 03:26:33 pm »

Ha ha, I can't help Kansas seems to be the geographic center of the US...I was trying to pick somewhere for a mass meet up that wouldn't have any one person riding 3000 miles.   Dash however will go anywhere to meet other fine SOHC-4 members 8)

I always thought Texas was the geographic center of the universe?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2013, 03:52:07 pm »

I always thought Texas was the center of its own universe?

FTFY.... 8)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2013, 09:09:50 pm »
Texas revolves around itself while the rest of the world revolves around the polar axis and the sun...

David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Proto

• Enthusiast
  • 1976 CB750F
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2013, 11:04:46 am »
+ 1 on Ofreens post.

I found this site shortly after the 2011 relay passed through here so I missed participating in that epic event.  I did read all the posts and marvelled at the lengths some of the riders went through to see that the chain was unbroken, be it snow, rain, wind or distance (Jcarthel, ofreen and coke are my heroes!).  I wanted to be part of this group and I eagerly signed up and played on the next two relays.

I too was disappointed last year when the chain was broken and the lizard was boxed and/or carried on a non-sohc/4 bike, but at the time seemed necessary.  This year, with the looser format, people seem to be quicker to box the guy or put him on the wrong bike, even if an sohc/4 was available.

If there is a 2014 relay next year, I would like to see a return to a more scheduled route, maybe starting earlier in the warmer south states and working its way across the country in time so that our northern friends can get a chance at a decent ride.  I just got in last night from a 1893 mile loop (on my Harley, sorry!) down through NM and AZ and it is already starting to get cold in the evenings and mornings in some spots.  I see the lizard is still bogged down back east and it is nearly September.  Might be some cold rides for the northern guys this year!

I like the idea of a big centralized meet next year, in addition to the relay.

Ok, I am done ranting.  Sign me up for the next one.

1976 Honda CB-750F1
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic