Poll

What color should I go with for my 750 K2 restoration?

Candy Gold
28 (59.6%)
Candy Ruby Red
11 (23.4%)
Silver
8 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: July 31, 2014, 10:01:50 am

Author Topic: Need Opinion: Help me decide what color to go with  (Read 8439 times)

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
Re: Need Opinion: Help me decide what color to go with
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 08:42:03 am »
Ed- i am bias to the candy gold paint (since I have it on my K1).  Love the paint and the way it pops in the sun is amazing.  Since you have done such an amazing job restoring the bike I lean toward period correct paint.  That being said it's your bike and you have to be happy with the paint color.  I know I am not in the majority but I don't like the red and prefer the silver out of those two because it's unique.

IMO you can't go wrong with any of the Yamiya colors, pick one and go with it.
Tige, your K1 GT is the only bike where I can genuinely say I liked the gold. It was well done, especially with all the chrome and aluminum wet blasted flat look, that gold really stands out. Probably also the bike which sorta has started letting the gold grow on me a bit, seems like its an all round fav (at least in the choices above)...

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 11:14:23 pm »
Why no love for brown?

Well, there's actually 2 Browns, I have pictures of them somewhere in my fading snapshots of the heydeys of the 750. The one called "Garnet Brown" was on mine, the other was the "Briar Brown" listed in the official color scheme that Dream is able to keep for us. (Great info, too!). The difference: the Garnett color was green sprayed over red, while the Briar was opposite. A Honda rep once told me (over alcohol, so figure how true it may have been?) that this was Honda trying to save as many tanks as possible in production, and they were really behind the 8-ball in production in those days. If a Candy Red had a flaw, it was polished or sanded out and Valley Green sprayed over: mine was absolutely this one. The original Sales Ticket listed it as Garnet Brown. I have also seen (locally) the flip of it: an early K3 with the Briar Brown that has a scratch on the tank that reveals plainly the undercoat is Valley Green and a Red layer over. This one is a duller brown than mine was, lacking the metalflake sparkles of the Valley Green that mine had when new.

There is one further color + stripe variant that I have only seen in photos, and which I cloned on mine: since the decals were Candy Gold with Black stripes and no white stripes on the old-factory K1 and early K2, there were bikes that had the "black pinstripe" look instead of the swoop-banner decals. The decals were there, but they matched the paint perfectly, so all you saw was the black pinstripe look. Some of the bikes also had the heavier all-black swoop decals over the black: this was more common. Mine today still has the pinstripe-on-gold: maybe if the rain stops long enough tomorrow I'll make a pic of it?
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2014, 12:55:18 am »
Check out this website for the colors by year....htpp://www.motorera.com/honda/ho750/four.htm#y-1975.
I've gotta go with Hondaman on the Blue Green...absolutely beautiful color but only came 69-70. I would rock the silver tank (I'm a Raider fan!) but it wasn't available in the states. I agree with Gordon that you should limit it to the colors that came for your year since you went through all the trouble of keeping it correct to your year. Another thing I agree with is that you can paint it any color you like if you are gonna keep it but if you're building it to flip stick with an original color.
My bike is a 75 and I don't plan on letting it go so I have different parts all over my bike but haven't butchered anything so that it could be put back to stock. My bike is the flake Apricot red but I am running an older right side petcock tank that is painted black with a silver stripe down the top that I got from a member here awhile back. I am currently soaking my red  tank in vinegar because it was rusted pretty bad and I kinda miss the stock tank! I also have a blue one that I bought for a project bike but I got rid of the bike so I'm selling the tank. One of my project bikes was a green 74' (trashed tank) and a brown 71' (also trashed tank). I just bought new side badges and red diamonds for a 72 because I like the script writing better than the newer style. Those are going for sale also. Whatever you decide I'm sure it's gonna turn out nice.
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2014, 02:27:21 am »
Ed, how many of these colors have you seen in person in their all original glory?  You might want to beg Ekpent to show you what they look like.  I think you are only like  2 hours away...and I think he has every K2 color...
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2014, 08:23:27 pm »
Sean, as much as I'd like to, I'm too tied up this month, but maybe someday for sure!

Looks like gold is winning by miles, and the two incredibly inspiring K2's I've seen here are both gold as well, and there's always tige's K1 GT. Hate to admit it but it is starting to grow on me...

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2014, 01:20:54 pm »
Gold won the poll, order it up!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline goldarrow

• one day, i'll be an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2014, 01:58:31 pm »
If you can't decide. Just get them all! And switch the colors every other seasons!
Life Is Full Of Challenges - And My Backyard Is Full Of SOHC4's

CB550 K0
CB750 K0, K2, K23 JDM, K45, K5
And the little ones z50r, xr50r, st90

750k5 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=114817.0

Offline jaytee-nz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2014, 10:04:21 pm »
I have a New Zealand new 1974 K4 and it's candy ruby red. I think Mr Honda was geting rid of some earlier parts and made NZ model's (and maybe Australian ones as well) up from these. In addition to the paint, the frame number is 2095*** and the engine is 2357***. I thought the frame had been replaced at some stage but when I checked the registration documents it was the original alright.
I'm restoring it at present and it will be repainted candy ruby red.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2014, 10:31:31 pm »
Sean, as much as I'd like to, I'm too tied up this month, but maybe someday for sure!

Looks like gold is winning by miles, and the two incredibly inspiring K2's I've seen here are both gold as well, and there's always tige's K1 GT. Hate to admit it but it is starting to grow on me...

I do have to admit: the gold is easier to paint than the reds or the blues. The flaws don't show up as well in the gold. :D
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2014, 10:43:46 pm »
@Stev-o  work hours are down to 40 this month due to personal committments, so can't quite pull the trigger just yet, perhaps by mid August (need to get the engine painted and buttoned up first).

@goldarrow if I had that kinda dough, I'd be building a different K2 for each colr just to have them all :)

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=rsg5lfk12nrl4ascddmre9vuv7&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2014, 03:08:31 am »
here are the brown 550 k3..not shure it vas the same as 750 brown
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 03:10:13 am by strynboen »
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords