Author Topic: Wisconsin to Bonneville leg  (Read 3566 times)

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Wisconsin to Bonneville leg
« on: July 09, 2014, 08:09:13 pm »
This is the planning thread for the Wisconsin to Bonneville leg of the relay. Dennis, please post your time-table and route here.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
Re: Wisconsin to Bonneville leg
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 12:35:56 pm »
My plan is to leave Cascade in the early AM on Wednesday, August 20..........head west on Hwy 33 from the West Bend area to Hwy 151 at Beaver Dam.  Then its Hwy 151 through Madison to Dubuque, Iowa, and take Hwy 20 west into Nebraska (overnight stay) then into Wyoming.............to Shoshoni ..........then 789 south and connect with 28 to 191 and continue south to Rock Springs at I-80.............stop someplace for overnight.............and head west on I-80 through SLC to Wendover, Utah.  Its about 1700 miles.

If Grasshopper is up for it..............we could change the route to make the first-overnight in Omaha..............then either I-80 ............or 34 into Colorado to 40 (more scenic) overnight in Colorado and into SLC area on Friday. We have 3 hotel rooms reserved for Saturday -Wednesday..........but flexible if changes needed.

Because we have driven I-80 several times in the past few years............we were thinking of taking the time to see something besides the pavement. I am traveling in a full-sized conversion van with a top and a bed in the back.............pulling an 8 x 10 enclosed trailer. 
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline Old Scrambler

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 05:18:27 pm »
Same plan to exit Wisconsin on the 20th............then across Iowa mostly on 151 and 20..........but then down to Omaha and meet Grasscutter (Zak) ...........then across Nebraska and into Colorado to Steamboat Springs on the 21st.................then all day Friday across the rest of Colorado for a late arrival in Wendover, Utah.

Saturday is set-up and tech inspection on the salt. Jerry will arrive on Sunday. Zak and his Dad will be joining us. If anyone needs a place to sleep (and/or shower) we could make room at the Best Western or you can use the bed in my van. Please talk to Jerry about your plans. I will be kinda busy..............Take a look at the Classic Bonneville Racer page under High Performance.......... 
Dennis in Wisconsin
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'77 750F2 Cafe Project

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 09:44:20 pm »
I'll post here to try to make sure I don't miss nuthin.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 10:03:04 pm »
I was hoping to make it to the salt this year; it's always been on my bucket list, even before it was called a bucket list, but the stars aren't aligning. :( Take lots of pictures and videos, so those of us stuck working can share vicariously. ;D   
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 10:30:38 pm »
Good BBQ joint in Steamboat. Right side of the main drag before you get through downtown. Look for the concrete pig out front  :)

Scott, would have been great to finally meet up  :(
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Old Scrambler

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 07:01:42 pm »
We got the CBR started and running today ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The Pimp-Lizard will have a very different experience strapped to this bike.  Now we just need the salt to dry :(
Dennis in Wisconsin
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'77 750F2 Cafe Project

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 07:31:06 pm »
My tentative plan is to arrive in Milwaukee via ferry saturday morning.  I think everybody is busy all day saturday?...so I will chill with non-mc related Milwaukee friends til sunday.  Then me and Tews(and who else?) will ride up to you Old Scrambler...hoping for a healthy romp through the Kettle Moraine...need to get that Michigan squareness off of my tires!
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 06:29:12 pm »
Josh and Greg................Jerry plans to arrive on Sunday PM with the original banner............It looks good for Pimp-Lizard to have a ride-around in Michigan and then connect to Wisconsin through Indiana and Illinois. We begin our trip to the salt-flats on the 20th and still plan to arrive late Friday or early Saturday, the 22nd-23rd. Let Jerry know your plans for a GRAND HAND-OFF at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Old Scrambler, is this ETA still good?  I am restricted to the weekend at this point.  Too much going on at work to weasel out of there.  I can make the 22nd through the 24th work, though Friday or Saturday would be best, so let me know.  Then once I have it, what's next?  Dave Voss and Mooshie up for a ride to central Oregon?  Tlbranth rides down from the Puget Sound area to meet up somewhere in between?  Wags, any ideas about what you'd like to do?
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline Dave Voss

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 08:50:52 pm »
[Then once I have it, what's next?  Dave Voss and Mooshie up for a ride to central Oregon?  Tlbranth rides down from the Puget Sound area to meet up somewhere in between?  Wags, any ideas about what you'd like to do?

Central Oregon may be too far for me, as I'm not sure I can swing two long distance motorcycle trips in such a short period of time.  Is the general plan for GZ to travel up to the PNW first, and then back down toward California?  If so, I'll be up for a stage then, perhaps as far north as Ashland or Medford and then south from there, any members near there or extreme northern California?
-Dave Voss
(past) '78 CB550K4
(past) '75 CB550K1
(now) '95 R1100RSL