Author Topic: Starter Advice Needed  (Read 1859 times)

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
Starter Advice Needed
« on: October 25, 2014, 02:34:02 pm »
So, I started working on my starter. Took the two long screws off to get under to clean the case and obviously the end caps came off. Wasn't expecting to see black powder. Looking for advice on what I can do...

- Is this thing rebuild-able? I see some interior parts can still be ordered and have also come across rebuild kits?
- How do I go about cleaning it? Can I use pb blaster to loosen up the side screws to clean interior?
- How do I replace the main wire? I doubt this thing can carry current.
- If it is a goner what are the options for replacing?

Any help would be appreciated.

75' CB550K -- Still in pieces but it rolls again!!!!

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: Starter Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 02:39:49 pm »
I believe Ricks offers rebuilt starters....
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 07:00:05 pm »
Is there a problem with this starter, ie does it work?
The black dust is normal. The carbon brushes wear down, that's them.
1) How much brush is left? The brushes push in with springs and if worn too far the motor stops working so well and the commutator gets seriously scarred: yours looks quite good so that hasn't happened yet. There should be at least a cube of carbon brush left, hopefully a rectangular bar.
2) What main wire? I don't see anything that looks bad in the pictures.
3) The commutator can be cleaned and polished. Chuck the stub in a drill press and use 600 grit then 1000 grit paper on it at low RPM. Scrape the carbon out of the dividing grooves, that stuff shorts out the power and robs efficiency.
4) Clean the rotor and brush assembly with brake cleaner spray or similar, I wouldn't use anything water based. Do not use any oil or grease on the brush units, the shaft bearing should be lubed though: if there's a felt pad behind the bushing it should be wet (not saturated and dripping) with motor oil.
If the gearbox opens up (I think all starter motors have a planetary gear set), clean the gears and grease liberally before reassembling.

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 08:44:04 pm »
@Cal, I am not familiar with Ricks. Are you referring to this:

http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/starter-motors

If so, then I will have to keep that in the back pocket.

@Bodi, Thanks for all that info. Very much what I was looking for. Quite a bit of brush left. Black cable I am referring to is the 10 or 12 gauge coming out the side. It is a bit cracked. Looks like it is soldered in? Wondering how to replace that. Any recommendations for loosening up the screws on the side of the main housing?

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 09:13:51 pm »
use compressed air to blow all the gunk out aswell,no reduction gearset in these they are direct drive,the reduction is after the starter shaft.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 09:26:04 pm »
Yep, that Ricks.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 01:20:19 pm »
The screws on the main housing hold the field coils in, and there are few good reasons to ever remove those. The wiring is going to be very stiff now and unless you want to chrome the barrel (?) the coils should not be disturbed. An impact driver will be required to remove the screws. They probably have threadlocker on them, as it is very bad to have one come loose - they carry the motor torque back to the barrel... the starter motor will be torn to bits inside if one comes loose.
I'm not sure how that wire is attached, I would guess it's resistance welded though. Get some black heat shrink tube to fit the cable and it will look pretty nice, plus add extra insulation.
I've never seen a CB starter motor actually wear out. I did replace one with stripped gears (CB77), probably the (failing) starter clutch had caused that.
Since the brushes are good I would suggest you just clean it up, dress the commutator a bit, lube the bearings, and it's good to go for another 40 years.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 01:25:32 pm by Bodi »

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 01:29:54 pm »
Thanks Bodi, on board with what you are selling. Started cleaning the commutator last night. Also got one of the end caps cleaned up. Gonna impact those screws out and clean the case real good and will torque them back one. Going to paint the barrel. I'm a little OCD that way.

Just gonna order new springs and brushes from bike bandit and clean it all up.

Decided to leave the cable on. Going to strip the sheathing off and put new heat shrink on it and then cover with some flexco pet for extra protection.

Thanks again for all the info. Super, super helpful!!

Offline Garage_guy_chris

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 07:00:51 pm »
I have a starter i was gonna use but the main wire is messed up the insulation has fallen off and the wire is all frayed and de-twisted. If you have yours still apart could you get a picture or two of the wire attachment into the motor from the inside. As i think im gonna have to replace my wire.
1971 Cb450 Cafe  (on the road)
1974 Cb750 Restomod (on the road)

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 07:02:20 pm »
I have a starter i was gonna use but the main wire is messed up the insulation has fallen off and the wire is all frayed and de-twisted. If you have yours still apart could you get a picture or two of the wire attachment into the motor from the inside. As i think im gonna have to replace my wire.

Still apart. I will snap some photos tonight and post em up.

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 12:18:12 am »
Ok! hope these interior shots will do. Haven't gotten around to cleaning it all just yet. Let me know if I can snap any others. Not going to be buttoning it up for a bit (parts on order).

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 12:22:19 am »
good to have all sorts of photos,dont think ive seen many of starter internals?