Author Topic: ARD Magneto  (Read 117732 times)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
Re: ARD Magneto
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2007, 11:19:21 pm »
Bump.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 04:34:46 am »
Bump.

I'll see your bump, and raise you another! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2007, 08:49:51 pm »
Bump.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2007, 10:56:07 pm »
No Sam,,

It should have been BUMP BUMP..............Terry raised you one..... ;D

Ben

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2007, 02:50:40 pm »
Hi All,

This looks to have been solved but just wanted to add something. I am not sure about the ARD mags, but other magneto ignitions I have seen (including a PVL I have on my cb350 Twin) have no timing marks, or only basic timing marks. I would recommend that as  matter of course timing be checked with a degree wheel and a top dead centre tool (or dial gauge). It will save you worries in the end and then you KNOW that it is dead on where you need it.

Cheers,

Ben.

Offline puppytrax

• Expert
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2007, 04:21:43 pm »
Thanks Big Jay, I found a website for dirt track bikes where they're still selling new ARD magnetos for Yamaha 650 based racers and such, but I can't find an actual website for ARD.

Terry - What website is it that has the 650 yamaha ARD magnetoes?? I might be tempted to try The Dark Side...   ;D
...stock 1972 CB500 '500 Four' undergoing re-assembly...
...Stock 1972 CL450 'Scrambler' also being re-assembled...

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2007, 02:17:58 am »
Thanks Big Jay, I found a website for dirt track bikes where they're still selling new ARD magnetos for Yamaha 650 based racers and such, but I can't find an actual website for ARD.

Terry - What website is it that has the 650 yamaha ARD magnetoes?? I might be tempted to try The Dark Side...   ;D

G'Day PT, sorry mate, I didn't save the site, but it was a dirt track racing site, from memory? Get on to Jim French, he's a member here, he's recently bought some belts and stuff from ARD, so he can give you their contact details etc. Cheers, Terry.  ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline puppytrax

• Expert
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2007, 06:17:23 am »
G'Day PT, sorry mate, I didn't save the site, but it was a dirt track racing site, from memory?

If it was Toad Town Racing (http://members.tripod.com/dyn2sr5/toadtownracing.html), I've been trying to reach them but their email address is bad.   :'(

They do seem to have a lot of services for Honda though...

(OK on Big Jim - heh, this is his thread!)  ::)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 06:33:26 am by puppytrax »

Offline puppytrax

• Expert
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2007, 08:26:33 am »
Just got an email from Big Jim on the ARD shop address/phone (which he also posted here)...Thank You, Sir!   ;)

I had an ARD magneto conversion fitted to my old Triumph -

It did indeed use a Fairbanks Morse magneto, with the ARD conversion made of aluminum, using a cog belt. IIRC, points and belts were available from just about any auto/farm parts store. The old farm tractors used them. The whole setup cost about ~$250USD, back in the '70's. The magneto itself was the same one Joe Hunt used in his conversions, although the BSA A65 is the only one I examined. The basic farm tractor mag polished up nice.

On the Triumph, ARD made a special timing cover with a drive enclosure for the belt drive, with the mag fit in front of the cylinder, and cog belt drive wheels. IIRC, timing was 40* BTDC. Measured with degree wheel, and TDC indicator. (My memory might be off...that was a long time ago...)   ::)

I came across the ARD instruction sheet not long ago, but have no idea where it went...although I still have the Glenn's Triumph manual (go figure!)...   :P

Offline treetrimmer

• 72 CB750 Hot Rod Styled
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2007, 09:22:21 am »
So,
With all this talk about ARD magnetos for a CB750 does anyone have an instruction sheet they can scan. i have an ARD that I am going to put on my 72 as soon as i start putting it back together(cafe conversion time). The bike is now sitting in several plastic containers waiting for the frame to get refinished. Motor is done other than magneto installation which I will do after I install it in the frame.
Thanks for your help,
Jeff ???
More Honda Fun All The Time!

Offline puppytrax

• Expert
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2007, 09:43:58 am »
i have an ARD that I am going to put on my 72 as soon as i start putting it back together...

Can you post a pic??? I've never seen the 4-cyl conversion...I'd like to see where ARD put the mag, whether in front or in back or alongside...   :P

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2007, 12:12:37 pm »
i have an ARD that I am going to put on my 72 as soon as i start putting it back together...

Can you post a pic??? I've never seen the 4-cyl conversion...I'd like to see where ARD put the mag, whether in front or in back or alongside...   :P

Here you go PT, here's a pic of the one I sold Big Jim. I've got 4 more (Mk2 's) sitting on my garage floor, i must get back around to installing one, ha ha! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline puppytrax

• Expert
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2007, 12:22:35 pm »
Here you go PT, here's a pic of the one I sold Big Jim. I've got 4 more (Mk2 's) sitting on my garage floor...

... :o...If one will fit a 550, I'd be more than happy to help you clean up your garage...  ;D

That is sweet!!! I gotta get me one!!   ;)

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2007, 10:37:19 pm »
Here is the magneto story. We used to be an ARD distributer. At the time, it was thought that firing one cylinder at a time would provide some sort of power gain.  Besides the ARD, there was the RC Eng unit that used a Vertex mag, and Rotofaze made a belt driven distributor which we sold also.

We got deeply involved with a leading pro stock racer back then, and he had Vance and Hines motors that were built and tuned by Byron Hines himself. We had an ARD CDI mag on this bike. Byron did a test on the dyno by taking off the mag and installing a Dyna S and coils.  IT MADE MORE POWER!!!

That is when we quit selling the mags. Wasn't going to sell someone something for $375.00 when a $125.00 product would make more power.

Today, no gasoline burning race bikes use a magneto. Battery powered electronic ignitions simply make more power.

Now as for the cool factor, those ARDs hanging off the side of those Hondas do give them that very 70s race bike look.

Jay

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2007, 12:24:42 am »
Agreed about the "cool factor," Jay.  Especially when they're hung in a Rickman CR chassis...  Or a Seeley.  Or an Egli.  Or a Rau.  Or...   ;D   RR
I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2007, 01:11:10 am »
Agreed about the "cool factor," Jay.  Especially when they're hung in a Rickman CR chassis...  Or a Seeley.  Or an Egli.  Or a Rau.  Or...   ;D   RR

That's a nice looking jigger mate, maybe I shoulda kept them Dellorto's? Oh well, Big Jay will probably tell me that my Keihin CR's are much better, and they're certainly much lighter................ Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline puppytrax

• Expert
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2007, 03:35:18 am »
Here is the magneto story. We used to be an ARD distributer...That is when we quit selling the mags.

... :'(... You don't offer them anymore?? Does anyone??   ???

juanclos

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2007, 01:11:52 pm »
Here you go PT, here's a pic of the one I sold Big Jim. I've got 4 more (Mk2 's) sitting on my garage floor...

... :o...If one will fit a 550, I'd be more than happy to help you clean up your garage...  ;D

That is sweet!!! I gotta get me one!!   ;)

Hi Terry, I have that exact one on my bike.  How do you remove the cover (the one over the old points).  I have a busted bolt at the bottom of the housing and that is all I see.  I can take the belt cover off easily but I'd like to remove the whole magneto setup for now..

Thanks much.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2007, 02:34:13 pm »

Hi Terry, I have that exact one on my bike.  How do you remove the cover (the one over the old points).  I have a busted bolt at the bottom of the housing and that is all I see.  I can take the belt cover off easily but I'd like to remove the whole magneto setup for now..

Thanks much.

G'Day Mate, well there are two 6mm screws that secure the unit to the engine, (the old points cover mounting screws) probably allen key type (cap-head) screws, there's a "grub screw" that holds the bottom pulley onto the 6mm shaft (or bolt)that comes outta the end of the crank, (where your OEM ignition advancer normally sits)and there's three 5mm screws that hold the timing plate onto the engine. Cheers, Terry. :)

juanclos

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2007, 03:32:09 pm »

Thanks much.

G'Day Mate, well there are two 6mm screws that secure the unit to the engine, (the old points cover mounting screws) probably allen key type (cap-head) screws, there's a "grub screw" that holds the bottom pulley onto the 6mm shaft (or bolt)that comes outta the end of the crank, (where your OEM ignition advancer normally sits)and there's three 5mm screws that hold the timing plate onto the engine. Cheers, Terry. :)

I'll go home tonight and take a closer look.  I must have missed those 6mm screw..the only thing I see is the bolt at the bottom of the cover that goes over the timing cover of the engine.,

Thanks for your help....Mate.. 8)

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2007, 04:24:09 pm »
I have a second drive setup missing the mag itself, does anybody know where I can pirate a mag from? (like a VW beetle for example?) I was told the Joe Hunt Mags were the same as ARD in some instances, can anybody confirm?
Maintenance Matters Most

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2007, 05:20:40 pm »
Geety, a Joe Hunt mag would cost heaps, plus they're rarer than ARD's for jap bikes, as most Joe Hunt mags (but not all) were for Harleys or Triumphs.

The mags themselves are available cheap on Ebay though, do a search for "Morse Fairbanks" or "Fairbanks Morse" and you'll find some, they were common on 4 cyl Ford tractors years ago, although the shafts will need to be shortened and threaded, and the housings may need to be machined down too.

I bought a couple thinking that I might get some housings cast for them, so I've got them sitting on a shelf in my garage, If you get stuck, send it to me and I'll fit one for you. Cheers, Terry. :)   

Offline puppytrax

• Expert
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2007, 07:05:02 pm »
Does anyone know what model FM mag ARD used?? Was it an FM-J, FM-X, or what??   ???

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2007, 12:51:09 am »
I posted ARDs address and phone number in this thread. Has anyone contacted them to see if parts are available?

Jay

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2007, 08:11:30 am »
Hi Jay.  I tried unsuccessfully last week and finally left a VM.  I'll give it another shot later today.  If anyone reaches them, please let us all know.  Thanks!  RR
I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!