Author Topic: Cross Drilling Rotors  (Read 35548 times)

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
Re: Cross Drilling Rotors
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2014, 03:40:30 am »
Shavings are rather nasty, sharp and hard.

Offline Bru-tom

• Hot Shot
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2018, 11:30:54 am »
I made sure that each row of holes overlapped the next as to not wear grooves in the pads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2023, 01:15:12 pm »
 I've drilled rotors before and am aware that the cutting oil makes a big difference. I was 12- 3/8" holes from being done and ran out of one type of cutting oil, as soon as I changed oil the bit went dull and it was trouble after that. I quickly ruined a second bit and stopped there.
 I got a new cobalt drill and it drilled well but kept catching on the edges as it went through, I think it had to do with the split point and angle. Anyway, I ended up with three work hardened holes that nothing would touch.
 I went out this morning and punched through them with a 1/4" masonry bit, then I used the best 3/8" cobalt bit from the opposite side with a new cutting fluid (blue gel from Lowes) and what I think is the oil I started with, to re-fill the squirt bottle and I used both. At any rate, that worked well enough to finish it.
 I reamed the holes with a 1/2" masonry bit and that worked great.
 Next up was a wheel on an axle that could spin to slip the rotors on the rotors on to sand on a nice finish with an air sander. A used 80 grit with a hard scotchbrite type pad to finish them.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 01:16:57 pm by Don R »
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.