Author Topic: Replacement Camshaft & Timing Chain  (Read 3586 times)

Offline wpomeroy11

• Turning a $400 Bike into a Housewife
Replacement Camshaft & Timing Chain
« on: January 13, 2016, 02:22:18 pm »
Hello all,

I recently pulled the motor in my '74 CB750K to replace the head gasket due to oil weepage. When I removed the valvecover, I noticed that one end of the camshaft was broken off, underneath the far bushing. In testament to the venerable SOHC engine, the engine was running completely fine other than the mist of oil coming out of the head. As you all know, failure is the perfect time to upgrade, as always. I'd like to put a cam in it that helps her breathe a little better on the top end, without upgrading any valves or springs. I understand that this will probably only yield a modest performance increase. My list of things I will have to procure are as follows:

-New camshaft. Can anyone recommend a good place to find one? Everywhere I look has brands that I've never heard of, and I don't want to put crap in my engine. I'd like to spend less than 200 bucks on that.

-New valvecover and head gasket. pretty self explanatory. However much it costs for a good multi layer head gasket

-New jets for the carburetors due to the hotter cam

-New cam chain, preferably with a removable master link so I don't have to separate the crankcase. I saw a post with one of these listed for like 30 bucks, that sounds good to me.

-New tensioner? I don't know if that's replaceable without splitting the case. If not, I guess I'll end up splitting the case, as my tensioner is NG.

-New clutch plates as well. Will I also have to replace the clutch springs, or will a fresh clutch pack do the trick?

In the event that I have to get my head decked, Is there any history of anyone milling the head down to increase compression? I know you can do that on car engines, but I'm not sure if it's possible on a carbureted engine.

Sorry for the laundry list, and thanks in advance for the quick replies!

-Will

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
Re: Replacement Camshaft & Timing Chain
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 02:36:43 pm »
Hello all,

I recently pulled the motor in my '74 CB750K to replace the head gasket due to oil weepage. When I removed the valvecover, I noticed that one end of the camshaft was broken off, underneath the far bushing. In testament to the venerable SOHC engine, the engine was running completely fine other than the mist of oil coming out of the head. As you all know, failure is the perfect time to upgrade, as always. I'd like to put a cam in it that helps her breathe a little better on the top end, without upgrading any valves or springs. I understand that this will probably only yield a modest performance increase. My list of things I will have to procure are as follows:

-New camshaft. Can anyone recommend a good place to find one? Everywhere I look has brands that I've never heard of, and I don't want to put crap in my engine. I'd like to spend less than 200 bucks on that.

-New valvecover and head gasket. pretty self explanatory. However much it costs for a good multi layer head gasket

-New jets for the carburetors due to the hotter cam

-New cam chain, preferably with a removable master link so I don't have to separate the crankcase. I saw a post with one of these listed for like 30 bucks, that sounds good to me.

-New tensioner? I don't know if that's replaceable without splitting the case. If not, I guess I'll end up splitting the case, as my tensioner is NG.

-New clutch plates as well. Will I also have to replace the clutch springs, or will a fresh clutch pack do the trick?

In the event that I have to get my head decked, Is there any history of anyone milling the head down to increase compression? I know you can do that on car engines, but I'm not sure if it's possible on a carbureted engine.

Sorry for the laundry list, and thanks in advance for the quick replies!

-Will
Many people here have suffered a broken camshaft including me. One of the oiling holes becomes clogged and starves one side or ta other of oil, the cam seizes in the bearing and breaks. If you continue driving, as I did, you're essentially a 368cc twin with an air compressor on the side.  :D
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline wpomeroy11

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 04:49:19 pm »
Does that mean I currently have a oil passage blocked? Not trying for a repeat cam snapping.

Also, some other advice would be much appreciated!

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 06:25:38 pm »
with stock pistons you would have to watch how much you decked the head so the valves do not hit the pistons,cx1 camshaft from cycle x is supposed to be drop in,you will have to remove the barrels to replace the tensioner,have no personal exp with a master link camchain,prefer endless.billp
1978 CB 750K ard and webers
another anfob

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 06:40:46 pm »
Used cam 20-50 bux most of the time.. Sold a NOS 72 cam for 110.00 about 15 months back..
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 06:42:20 pm by 754 »
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline wpomeroy11

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 06:45:00 pm »
I think I'm trying to get a slightly hotter camshaft. Any leads?

Offline wpomeroy11

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 06:46:36 pm »
The Cycle X stuff looks pretty nice. Is that a pretty standard price for a cam? It seems odd, I can get a racing cam for a mustang for less than 200 bucks but this stuff is well over it.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 06:50:00 pm »
Our cams are very cheap.. At 250 ish
Cant get one for my Honda twin or single any cheaper.. Harley twin cyl cams, same thing.. Cannot compare our stuff to mass produced car stuff..
 Used hipo 750 cam. Usually 125-175..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline wpomeroy11

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 06:53:50 pm »
Thanks for the information, I thought about the economies of scale but didn't think that it would be that significant. Where can I source a used hipo cam?

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 07:20:02 pm »
you could post in wanted section for a later 77,78 f cam,or hipo cam for stock engine,if you are looking for a little bit of power,cant put anything big with stock engine.billp
another anfob

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 11:49:05 pm »
Cam broken due to no oil? Open the entire engine is minimum for me. You need to clean it and verify all parts.
The primary chains with tensioner is most likely garbage if you have not done a complete repair. Good idea to verify crank with bearings too.
It is no problem to open the engine completely. The worst thing is to take it  out  from frame and in again.

You can still find cheap internal parts on eBay sold by US sellers. If you live in USA the shipping is almost free. For me higher shipping costs than the parts. It's not that much anyway. I have bought 3 sets of cam holders the last year just for sure when they all were from low mile bikes and cost just a little. The last set costed $25US. Other sets complete with rocker arms and everything, cam included.
I'm currently waiting for a complete K6 clutch with primary hub that costed 50 bucks, shipping >$70... VAT and customs will add +30%. Despite that around 160 Euro in total.

Clutch: Use std clutch with barnett springs or similar. Racing clutch can be a problem when plates stick together over night. I had to replace my Cyckle X plates, replaced with plates from cruzinimage. Works really well in my engine with +80 rwhp.

Old clucth: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CB750K1-CB750K2-CB750K3-CB750K4-CB750K5-SEVEN-CLUTCH-PLATE-SET-CD-1133-/141432925416?vxp=mtr&hash=item20ee0f2ce8

Newer as to my K6 (the outer plate has wider ears)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/76-78-HONDA-CB750K6-CB750K7-CB750F2-CLUTCH-FRICTION-PLATE-1145-/161408453864?vxp=mtr&hash=item2594b18ce8
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 06:10:29 am »
Does that mean I currently have a oil passage blocked? Not trying for a repeat cam snapping.

Also, some other advice would be much appreciated!
Yes, the offending passages are between the head and the cam bearing stand. The oil is forced up the 2 studs in the rear, either side of the chain tunnel. It usually only happens after a rebuild when a piece of dislodged debris finds its way into a passage, travels up the stud cavity. Near the top, there is a passage allowing the oil to divert to the orifice in question where it gets stuck and dams up the oil flow.

You will uncover the orifice when you pull the trashed cam bearing stand.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 07:33:44 am »
Used cam 20-50 bux most of the time.. Sold a NOS 72 cam for 110.00 about 15 months back..
Actually $150, but that is still wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy cheaper than the $900+ on ebay for NOS ones. Thanks again for it, its one of the best things running on my JMR head 8)

Offline wpomeroy11

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 05:34:59 pm »
You guys are some of the most helpful people on the planet. Props around to all of you.

I have so much information to digest, and I'm going to definitely post a wanted ad in the forum for some go faster parts.

When I opened the valvecover, there was some sharpie on the cam towers indicating which cylinder is which. I reckon some guy rebuilt it fairly recently... maybe 5 years ago.

Here's a little treat for you guys to see what I'm working with!

The bearing cap has what I will choose to call "Seriously good hone." Should be able to slap it back together right? Right?  ;)

The cam tower is equally as sad. That's gonna need replaced too.

If you look at the cam, all is well... until the last cam bearing.

Finally, there's a lot of burnt and hardened oil in the valley on the valvecover where the cam snapped. On the healthy end, the oil was as happy as Larry.

In other news, the cam chain looks excellent. I will be replacing the tensioner, but I reckon the chain itself should be good to go, pending further investigation.

My list is expanding to a new cam tower, as well as the clutch springs and fresh clutch discs.

Offline wpomeroy11

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 05:40:06 pm »
http://imgur.com/a/Y0CTu

Pictures really did not want to post on the native uploader, had to use imgur.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 05:42:52 pm »

Here's a little treat for you guys to see what I'm working with!
If you look at the cam, all is well... until the last cam bearing.

Uhh, I can't see anything? ???
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline wpomeroy11

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2016, 05:45:45 pm »
http://imgur.com/a/Y0CTu

Pictures really did not want to post on the native uploader, had to use imgur.

@Scottly, check this! It's an imgur album. Pictures refused to upload natively on the forum.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2016, 05:59:29 pm »
Ok, I see them now. That is very unusual to have only the very end of the cam break off!!
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2016, 06:11:42 pm »
900 bux.. For a cam.  Wow , i should list my unobtainium NOS oil pump starting at 600..

Was you engine still running? 
 Mine looked like this and still ran, the last hour going over a mountain pass at 60-70 mph.. But it seemed sluggish..

I do have a cam somewhere that looks like yours just before yours broke

I think mine was seizing a bit after stopping, or it felt tight, but electric starter broke it free and started.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 06:13:27 pm by 754 »
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2016, 06:21:21 pm »
900 bux.. For a cam.  Wow , i should list my unobtainium NOS oil pump starting at 600..
Yep, NOS only and I saw two different listings in the past couple years. Don't sell off that oil pump! It HAS to be the last new one ;D

Offline wpomeroy11

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2016, 07:15:35 am »
Shockingly, it ran like a top! all 4 cylinders were running great with no issue, even all the way up to redline. The only reason I even took the engine out was to replace the head gasket. Seeing a snapped cam was a shock.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2016, 08:01:15 am »
Shockingly, it ran like a top! all 4 cylinders were running great with no issue, even all the way up to redline. The only reason I even took the engine out was to replace the head gasket. Seeing a snapped cam was a shock.
Yes, yours was not the full cam snap like others have had. IT usually seizes in both bearings of one side or the other, and breaks on that side of the cam sprocket, silencing 2 cylinders. Still, same problem. Oil passage plugged up.

Was it ever opened up before? Rebuilt?
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline wpomeroy11

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 10:31:20 am »
Yeah, it's definitely been rebuilt before, but not by me. This is my first experience in rebuilding a motorcycle engine. My entire experience of engine work has been on cars, but it's pretty transferable.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2016, 11:29:18 am »
Yeah, it's definitely been rebuilt before, but not by me. This is my first experience in rebuilding a motorcycle engine. My entire experience of engine work has been on cars, but it's pretty transferable.

That explains it. I've never seen a cam twist that wasn't a result of a rebuild where some loose debris is not cleaned out and it clogs the orifice.  Often, its the use of a silicone gasket sealer that gets hard. Sealer squeezes to the inside as well as the outside of the engine. You can clean the outside off, but the inside goop gets hard and breaks off and clogs the orifice.

Lesson: always use non-hardening gasket sealer.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline wpomeroy11

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2016, 06:34:07 am »
Lesson learned.

Unfortunately, I have to track down the clogged passage now.

When I find it, will it be apparent, or is it one of those things that you have to clear every passage and pray you got it? Hoping for the former.  :-\

Offline wpomeroy11

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2016, 06:35:45 am »
Another update: thanks to you all, I've sourced a cam from a '78 super sport and 2 towers. Got em from Bill Benton.

Offline wpomeroy11

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2016, 09:57:26 am »
Hey Guys, It's been a little while since my last update, but it turns out that the head is really curiously messed up on that bike. It appears that it was cracked and rewelded at one point. Really interesting , but I sourced a new cylinder head just last week.

My question for this post is regarding the cylinder head: It's out of a 1976 750F. It appears that it'll bolt up perfectly, but I'm concerned that I'll miss an added o-ring or something small that is gonna result in issues down the line. Thoughts?

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2016, 11:23:58 am »
might want to get the new head surfaced before install,post a pic of the two heads to confirm what they are.billp
another anfob

Offline wpomeroy11

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2016, 12:41:09 pm »
I have a straightedge and feeler gauge to check flatness. If it's in spec I won't bother. Ill throw up a couple pics tonight or tomorrow

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2016, 01:44:31 pm »
Use case sealer on the 6 rubber pucks and be sure to use 2 o-rings for the oil orifices and TWO MORE for the other 2 'holes' where 2 more might have gone but don't exist. If you take out the cam tower studs be sure to use sealer on the lower threads going into the head.

As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2016, 05:22:53 pm »
I have a straightedge and feeler gauge to check flatness. If it's in spec I won't bother. Ill throw up a couple pics tonight or tomorrow
put the head on the barrels with no head gasket,and then see if you can see light between them,use a flashlight from behind if you have to,both heads I tried this with had bow in the centre,confirmed by the machine shop.billp
another anfob