Author Topic: Machine Shop  (Read 7155 times)

Offline innovativems

• Expert
    • Innovative MotoSports
Machine Shop
« on: January 04, 2017, 01:04:18 pm »
I'm about to send my cylinders out for boring on my cb400f.  They are getting a 466 big bore and have one cylinder fin on the bottom row that needs welded and cleaned up.  I'm fine with shipping it out and wanted to see who people recommend.  I don't feel good about the one local shop as they typically only do cars and their prices are high.

Thanks!
2007 KTM 990 adv
2003 Honda RC51
2000 Yamaha YSR50
1978 Honda Express
1975 Honda CB400f
1974 Honda CB350f
1974 Kawi H2
1974 Honda CB550f
1971 Kawi h1
1973 Kawi h1
1974 gt 550
1974 gt550

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: Machine Shop
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 01:45:53 pm »
I use a shop local to me, and have had numerous members ship their cylinders to them/me for boring. Runs about $150 for boring/honing and decking.

Let me know if you'd like their info (Richmond, VA).
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Rocketman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 04:09:39 pm »
Two shops I trust with my Honda and Suzuki Roadracers cylinders:

Bore Tech Engineering  https://bore-tech.com/

Millennium Technologies  http://www.millennium-tech.net/serviceInfo.php?id=1

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 04:12:59 pm »
subscribed
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 08:43:29 pm »
Nothing wrong with Big Jay at APE either :)
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Haybus

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 09:19:23 pm »
Or CycleX, they're top notch folks.
75 CB750
76 KZ900

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 10:26:56 pm »
Be sure to send your pistons along. When I use Millenium, they mark each piston to a designated hole. I don't know about other shops.
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline slikwilli420

• Master of Disaster
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 06:52:58 am »
Two shops I trust with my Honda and Suzuki Roadracers cylinders:

Bore Tech Engineering  https://bore-tech.com/

Millennium Technologies  http://www.millennium-tech.net/serviceInfo.php?id=1

I cannot speak to quality of work, but those two places are substantially more expensive than APE or CycleX.
All you gotta do is do what you gotta do.

Vintage Speed Parts Mashup: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=133638.0
Rickman CR Parts Kit Refresh: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,154837.0.html
AHRMA CB750 Racer: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,158461.0.html
AHRMA Superbike Heavyweight Racer: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173120.0.html
'76F CB750 Patina Redemption: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,174871.0.html

Offline Jim F

• Need a bigger house for more toys
  • Master
  • go baby go
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 06:04:16 pm »
Millenium Did my cylinders for my turbo and do send your pistons
Great job according to Brian Livingood.
Jim
2002 RC51 1000 (SP2)
1983 GS1100EC Suzuki
2002 998 Dukati (Customers Bike)
1992 KTM500 2 stroke
1975 CB750/836 Honda
1978 GS750/840 Suzuki

Offline innovativems

• Expert
    • Innovative MotoSports
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 06:03:14 am »
Thanks for the information everyone!
2007 KTM 990 adv
2003 Honda RC51
2000 Yamaha YSR50
1978 Honda Express
1975 Honda CB400f
1974 Honda CB350f
1974 Kawi H2
1974 Honda CB550f
1971 Kawi h1
1973 Kawi h1
1974 gt 550
1974 gt550

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 07:29:13 am »
I moved into this apt. and lived in this area now for about 3yrs.,most folks have lived here all their lives and not many 'outsiders' move here..
I've been looking locally in about a 10-20 mile radius from where i live for a small,friendly(open to anyone in 'the general public') machine shop service person to do 'powersports machine work' for me:crankshafts,heads,cylinder bore jobs,etc. I certainly don't mind extending that radius further out to where I can still drive to the persons shop,this way I can still go pick up my parts just in case he puts me under the bottom of the pile..it's happened before.  ::)
I've found a few here locally that I had do different work for me but they eventually get strange about stuff even though they do good machine work..  I'd like to call up a person who does this work w/o being asked that same old question up front "Who sent you"  ???  ::) I want to bring my parts to a good machinist who answers their phone when you call them and they say "How can I help ?" and then proceed to care about starting to do business w/ a new customer and doesn't mind answering their telephone(some only answer their phones if you're one of their long-time 'buddies'  ::)) plus gives me a fair price,does the work soon if it's just one part at a time and when their done they call me and say "it's done,come pick it up"  No drama please. There are a few full time machine shops here who are automotive and tend to keep a mindset of 'automotive' machine tolerances and that just doesn't work too well w/ Powersports parts(especially cylinders/pistons)as they need tighter tolerances and need to be done 'by the book',plus they charge upwards toward $100hr..

I presently have a 4-stroke air cooled dirt bike cylinder on it's stock 65mm 1st orig. bore-size that needs to be bored to 65.5mm and I have the new piston but so far haven't found a machinist who will answer their ph. w/o asking me "Who sent you?",etc...
I would prefer to pay somewhere around $50 to have someone not far from me(if possible or just a little further out-of-the-area is ok) here in PA. bore-out this cyl. that has a good eye to fit this piston to it's correct clearance;the factory spec. for this bike is .0006-.0018in.
I've called a couple local dealerships(not many Japanese dealerships around here,mostly 'Harley Country')in the past 3 yrs. and that's how I found contact #'s on a couple folks.
I live in an apt. and I work outside of my storage locker in the country about 5 miles from my apt. where all my tools are presently and there's no electricity;I have a hone and cordless tools but you can only go so far w/ that.

I remember in the past when things were much simpler and I would bring my parts to someone w/ no worries  :)
What ever happened to the sincere question asked by a business man to a prospective customer "How can I help you" ?  Yeah,I'm looking for a machinist too  ;)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 08:14:26 am by grcamna2 »

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 11:48:09 am »
Grcamna2................I feel your pain about the storage 'shop' with NO electric power :(

As we ease into full retirement and plan to travel most of the next few years, I decided to keep my projects (5 or more) plus the race-bikes and a few complete bikes with all of the associated stash of parts in Plymouth, Wisconsin, because of my established contacts with local machine shops and a good painter. After moving everything to storage and renting an apartment until we begin to travel more or less full-time, a friend from our church offered me more than 4000 SF of shop space with electric. It even has an office with a fridge and A-C. The rent is VERY low because he just wanted someone to cover his basic electric cost to keep all of the meters running on a former rural industrial facility. He uses part of the building for farm equipment storage and is looking for another tenant. I plan to return from time to time and work on one project at a time. While we are traveling, the paint will get done and two motors will get bored and partially rebuilt. Both of those contacts will have a key to my shop so the parts don't get in their way. My landlord likes it that I prepay for 6-months and have committed to stay for 3 or more years.  I get my boring jobs back in less than 2-weeks, paint in a week or so, and everything else within days or according to a pre-planned schedule. Having a good shop-contact who understands your needs is a valuable asset ;) ;) ;)   
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 04:47:02 pm »
Grcamna2................I feel your pain about the storage 'shop' with NO electric power :(

As we ease into full retirement and plan to travel most of the next few years, I decided to keep my projects (5 or more) plus the race-bikes and a few complete bikes with all of the associated stash of parts in Plymouth, Wisconsin, because of my established contacts with local machine shops and a good painter. After moving everything to storage and renting an apartment until we begin to travel more or less full-time, a friend from our church offered me more than 4000 SF of shop space with electric. It even has an office with a fridge and A-C. The rent is VERY low because he just wanted someone to cover his basic electric cost to keep all of the meters running on a former rural industrial facility. He uses part of the building for farm equipment storage and is looking for another tenant. I plan to return from time to time and work on one project at a time. While we are traveling, the paint will get done and two motors will get bored and partially rebuilt. Both of those contacts will have a key to my shop so the parts don't get in their way. My landlord likes it that I prepay for 6-months and have committed to stay for 3 or more years.  I get my boring jobs back in less than 2-weeks, paint in a week or so, and everything else within days or according to a pre-planned schedule. Having a good shop-contact who understands your needs is a valuable asset ;) ;) ;)

That's 'Golden' Old Scrambler  :)

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 12:37:29 am »
You would be surprised how many parts we get in that were first sent to an automotive machine shop, then sent to us to see if we can salvage it.

http://www.aperaceparts.com/machining.html

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 07:08:06 am »
Well,I found a 'local' machinist who comes highly recommended.. and specializes in Powersports within a 20 mile ride to me. I dropped my cylinder off last Sat. & spoke w/ the man when I met him for the 1st time and the 1st question out of his mouth? "Who sent you" ?  ::) Here we go again... He has a full-time job and then tries to come home and do a Huge work-load of good quality machine work for many other folks in his spare time: Way 'too many irons in the fire'.  Guess how long it will take to get my 'little job' done?  ::) He probably already has my small box buried underneath his bench somewhere..

We spoke about replacing 1) exh. seat in a Honda single head I plan on using very soon and he told me that he has someone he will send it to that will do that.He told me he would have my cylinder done this past week;I called him twice and only got voicemail w/ no return calls and now when i call it goes straight to voicemail..not a good sign.
I went to a buddy of his a yr. ago who does the same machine work in the same town and I had to have the local State Police call him after he didn't return my calls after 3 weeks.. A name for these guys could be 'Primo-donna'  >:(
I think I've about had-it w/ local Westmoreland county Powersports machinists. I don't mind driving a little bit further locally if i could just find a person who is good w/ customers and tells them what they will do and then Does it.
I don't need this b*llsh%t stress,I'm just trying to get 2 small jobs done for a fair price.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 07:10:12 am by grcamna2 »

Offline innovativems

• Expert
    • Innovative MotoSports
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 07:14:41 am »
Well,I found a 'local' machinist who comes highly recommended.. and specializes in Powersports within a 20 mile ride to me. I dropped my cylinder off last Sat. & spoke w/ the man when I met him for the 1st time and the 1st question out of his mouth? "Who sent you" ?  ::) Here we go again... He has a full-time job and then tries to come home and do a Huge work-load of good quality machine work for many other folks in his spare time: Way 'too many irons in the fire'.  Guess how long it will take to get my 'little job' done?  ::) He probably already has my small box buried underneath his bench somewhere..

We spoke about replacing 1) exh. seat in a Honda single head I plan on using very soon and he told me that he has someone he will send it to that will do that.He told me he would have my cylinder done this past week;I called him twice and only got voicemail w/ no return calls and now when i call it goes straight to voicemail..not a good sign.
I went to a buddy of his a yr. ago who does the same machine work in the same town and I had to have the local State Police call him after he didn't return my calls after 3 weeks.. A name for these guys could be 'Primo-donna'  >:(
I think I've about had-it w/ local Westmoreland county Powersports machinists. I don't mind driving a little bit further locally if i could just find a person who is good w/ customers and tells them what they will do and then Does it.
I don't need this b*llsh%t stress,I'm just trying to get 2 small jobs done for a fair price.
I feel your pain there.  In Phoenix I had a shop recommended to me by numerous people.  Said he would have my cylinders done in a week.  Three weeks later I get a call from a shop I never heard of saying they were done.  Turns out he stopped doing cylinders and farms it out.  I don't mind that but tell me.  I had to drive another 15 miles further to pick them up. 

Now that I'm in Iowa, It's slim picking.  The one people have used was about $150 more then the quality shops that specialize in our bikes. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 KTM 990 adv
2003 Honda RC51
2000 Yamaha YSR50
1978 Honda Express
1975 Honda CB400f
1974 Honda CB350f
1974 Kawi H2
1974 Honda CB550f
1971 Kawi h1
1973 Kawi h1
1974 gt 550
1974 gt550

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 07:20:39 am »
Yes,
I only ask that they pick-up their phone when i call and tell me truth.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 07:29:12 am »
Epeatedly calling shops every day or two to inquire about your job is often considered off-putting. The more time they spend answering the phone and returning calls and saying, "it's in the queue" is less time they have to spend doing the actual work.

Bear in mind, your project may be a priority to you, but it is another billable project to them. And just because you want it done now, doesn't mean they have the cycles to do so. And emergency jobs come in all the time for professionals or long time clientele that need something fixed to service others.

A little perspective goes a long way with small shops.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 08:19:42 am »
Epeatedly calling shops every day or two to inquire about your job is often considered off-putting. The more time they spend answering the phone and returning calls and saying, "it's in the queue" is less time they have to spend doing the actual work.

Bear in mind, your project may be a priority to you, but it is another billable project to them. And just because you want it done now, doesn't mean they have the cycles to do so. And emergency jobs come in all the time for professionals or long time clientele that need something fixed to service others.

A little perspective goes a long way with small shops.

There are other issues at work here that you might not understand,a bit more positive feedback would help sir.

Offline 01Thomas

• Hot Shot
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2017, 10:48:35 am »
I don't understand what's wrong with "who sent you"? Everything else you say makes sense but that.

Cheers,
Thomas
1971 Honda CB750 Four K1 [Engine: CB750E-1113521 / Frame: CB750-1113838]
1977 Seeley Honda CB750F (F1) [Engine: CB750E-2551214 / Frame No: SH7-655F]

'96 Yamaha YZF750SP & '81 Moto Guzzi SP1000 & '80 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans II & '82 Bimota KB-3 [Frame No 49] & '66 Ducati 50 SL/1 & '53 Miele K-50 & '38 Miele 98

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 10:51:28 am »
I played the local 'yeah I can do that' game and it didn't get done. These are car guys but no other local options. I picked up the cylinders and shipped them to APE. Jay cut his teeth on these bikes and does us a great service. I knew they'd be done properly and I'd get them back quicker. Got tired of fighting the game and only use people I know can do it even if they are far from me.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 11:29:26 am »

I played the local 'yeah I can do that' game and it didn't get done. These are car guys but no other local options. I picked up the cylinders and shipped them to APE. Jay cut his teeth on these bikes and does us a great service. I knew they'd be done properly and I'd get them back quicker. Got tired of fighting the game and only use people I know can do it even if they are far from me.

That makes sense Jerry.

Thomas,I have had some folks say "who sent you? in the past w/ a welcome look on their face toward me but around here so far they have a suspicious,cynical expression and that doesn't endear me toward trusting them either. I guess there's been a Lot of 'water under the bridge' w/  me and machinists in the past few yrs. and I can sure understand why lot's of folks who can afford it buy their own milling machines,boring jig,etc. and go to school or apprentice under someone else for a short while to 'get it down' enough to do their own work.
Powersports dealers should be able to do 'in house' machine work for walk-in customers,at least that has been the way it's worked for a long time in MA. where i used to live.
I have had automotive machine shops do it for me but they are more used to auto tolerances and even when i give them a page directly out of my oem Service manual they make the cylinder/piston clearances too loose which causes the pistons to 'rock' in their bores and wear-out prematurely.
I imagine i'll just pay the shipping to a powersports,qualified person who won't mind a small job once in a while.

I must admit I have moved a number of times from one state to another and tend to always be looking for a new barber,dentist or powersports machinist;I'm going to stay-put soon enough and then things should settle-down once I'm a full-time,long standing resident.  :)
Plus I've been needing to let go of past experiences,decide to trust when I find a good workman and just be patient.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 11:59:03 am by grcamna2 »

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 07:33:38 pm »
Bump

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2017, 11:24:56 am »
I'm fortunate to have an old school funny bike racer/machinist in my neck of the woods to do all of my machine work. This includes boring blocks/cases, installing sleeves, O-rings, valve jobs, hand porting heads, transmission work. He's even helped me set up a few chassis along the way as far as wheel spacers, fabricating brake hangers, raking frontends, wheelie bars. He's always laughing at me saying I never stop thinking because I come up with some strange projects all the time. We put our heads together and make it happen in 95% of the cases. I used to spend time helping him but can't seem to get there much anymore except to drop parts off and pick them up. I've probably referred 25 or more people to him for business, so he looks out for me on pricing and turnaround time. He'll put other peoples stuff aside to get mine out, since he knows I race a lot with multiple bikes and he wants to keep me going down the track. I also locate parts and material for him when he can't find what he needs himself.

Yeap, he's one of those that asks the infamous question; Who sent you? Its a way to connect people and sets the tone in some cases on what you'll pay for a job. He looks out for my racing friends.

I also have a car machinist right around the corner from my house that I've used for light porting and valve jobs. He's a back up for me. He stays busy with automotive stuff so his lead time is longer than my normal guy.

Nothing like being able to do a walk in but there are a ton of competent shops that handle mail order business. Its all about preference and luck of proximity.

Offline innovativems

• Expert
    • Innovative MotoSports
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2017, 11:52:31 am »
If that machinist still have your items I'm not sure what answer you are looking for.  Maybe just pop in and say something along the lines, hey I know you have a lot going on, just wanted to check in so I can plan for assembling my motor. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 KTM 990 adv
2003 Honda RC51
2000 Yamaha YSR50
1978 Honda Express
1975 Honda CB400f
1974 Honda CB350f
1974 Kawi H2
1974 Honda CB550f
1971 Kawi h1
1973 Kawi h1
1974 gt 550