Author Topic: Joint Cafe Project - Western Colorado  (Read 2078 times)

Offline DennyK

• Just kill the one with the sword first. R. Shaftoe
Joint Cafe Project - Western Colorado
« on: November 29, 2017, 07:15:12 pm »
Folks,
   For some people a joint cafe project in Colorado mean something different than a possible build of a left for dead '71 750 by two Forum members that live in Grand Junction.  That's right Rocket Johnny and Denny K are teaming up to see if we can salvage this bike.  Johnny has a 1976 CB750 that is a daily rider and Denny K sold his 1974 build. 
   Several years ago, I posted that my son and I had acquired two CB750's.  This is the '71 that has a seized engine.  As you can see from the picture that there was not too much left after we parted it out.  We think there is enough for a cafe bike provided the engine can be saved.  The engine is now out of the frame and we will be digging into the engine to see what we can find.  I am pretty sure we are going to need a replacement head and at least one piston is stuck.  FYI we have been soaking the engine in ATF and acetone for several months.

Offline DennyK

Re: Joint Cafe Project - Western Colorado
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 08:07:43 am »
Folks,
Well John and I took this engine down to the lower case.  It was difficult getting the cam chain sprocket unbolted since we could not turn the engine; even with the cam chain tensioner completely out.  We ground down a box end wrench to get to the lower bolt but the bolt would not clear the head.  After a lot of wiggling and getting the cam loose we were finally able to clear the bolt and start to work the cam out and then the chain came off the sprocket and things got easier and we were able to remove the cam shaft holders.

The head came off pretty easily once we found that one last bolt.  Pictures will show that the #4 cylinder was where the engine was stuck.  The broken fins and some damage to the stator cover are evidence that this bike went down, and whenever that was, it was likely the last time the engine ran.

So then we decided to pull the barrels.  We could see a large puddle of standing ATF/acetone fluid on top of the #4 piston.  #1 looked like it has been seized but it was “loose”, no problems with #2 and #3.  We tried all sorts of persuasion on the #4 piston, and eventually resorted to a large hammer and drift pin.  Ouch!  Anyway, it finally came loose.  Bottom line, the engine is no longer seized and easily turns over. Dah!

The rest of the bike is now disassembled and the frame and swing arm both look solid.  This frame has a valid Colorado title.  We do have the original tank, oil tank, carbs, air box, headlight and a lots of bits and pieces.  Earlier I sold the gauges and top bridge to a Forum member doing a full restoration.  Going forward, we still need to evaluate the condition of the engine and figure out if we have the energy and money to make this into a nice project.  We will have a little fun this winter cleaning up parts, planning and looking for deals.  Let us know your thoughts and if someone out there has some parts that might help us send me a PM.  Also, thanks for all the views.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 11:08:49 am »
Damn, I just got back from the joint cafe and wasn't very excited until you explained this is about a bike! Good luck with everything and keep us posted.  ;D
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline DennyK

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 10:10:23 am »
Thanks MF.  I think you would fit right in with Rocket Johnny and me. 

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 10:42:49 am »
 ;)
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Online HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 10:16:25 pm »
Wow, nice save!
I have some heads that would work. A whole engine, too, already rebuilt!
There's more to your bike than the one I started my book with. ;)
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline scottym

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 01:57:03 pm »
So awesome to see more cafe projects around Grand Junction. i am also in GJ! keep posting pics of the build
here is a pic of my 70 CB 750 project that i am building maybe you can get some ideas.

Offline palepainter

• Hot Shot
    • Mike Learn custom paint and airbrush.
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 04:27:07 pm »
Bunch of us crazy mo fos here in CO.  Looks like a solid project.

Offline DennyK

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 07:41:24 am »
We are making some progress on the project.  Here are some of the parts that have been bead blasted and primed.  The valves are out of the old head and we will have to determine if the valves can be reused.  John has lightly blasted the barrels as well as the oil pan cover and the oil filter cover.  The cam and the rockers look good.  After the holidays we are going to give this project a GOOD THINK.