Author Topic: Aftermarket frame - group purchase  (Read 26035 times)

Offline gschuld

• Master
Re: Aftermarket frame - group purchase
« Reply #125 on: November 22, 2018, 03:49:30 am »
Tony Faole also had a clean monoshock design.

George

Offline westfieldandy

« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2018, 03:53:10 am »
At www.good-bits.co.uk we have been quietly working on new chassis for the smith honda F750 race bike. The new chassis is awaiting final approval for UK championship status etc, and we intend to have complete bike ready for some races next year.

The frame is available to order now. if anybody would like one. we have jigs already manufactured

For F750 rules the frame has to look the similar to original road frame, so it is twin shock etc, but the tubing used is lighter and more rigid and slightly larger in dia. we also took the opportunity to change the geometry of the chassis, and use a period looking box section swing arm in conjunction with new magnesium front and rear hubs to get rid of as much weight as possible.  This will be the best way forward to create a competitive machine, the std chassis/running gear is just not good enough to cut it with the rob north framed triples fully developed in todays championships

The frames are made here in uk by an established race frame manufacturer and are a real thing of beauty.

Frame and swing arm kit is £3600

I would love to get some out there running in f750 classic racing. and would consider some kind of support package if a good rider commits to a full championship.

andy

Offline westfieldandy

« Reply #127 on: November 22, 2018, 04:10:14 am »
sam green.

I restored the darvill bike for alex. and took it to reims and ran it before it went back to darvill HQ in IOM.  I had the other darvill frame here for repair too, always wondered what happened to the others.  I would really like to have one to go with my other special framed honda's.

is the one pictured yours ???????

what are you going to do with it.

andy

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #128 on: November 22, 2018, 04:57:03 am »
sam green.

I restored the darvill bike for alex. and took it to reims and ran it before it went back to darvill HQ in IOM.  I had the other darvill frame here for repair too, always wondered what happened to the others.  I would really like to have one to go with my other special framed honda's.

is the one pictured yours ???????

what are you going to do with it.

andy

No Andy, that's the #2 bike and belongs to Julien Charnoll in France.
Julien is the guy that built the six Honda 6s for George Beal.
He does ride the #2 bike in endurance races and parades.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline livefast_dieold

• Hot Shot
« Reply #129 on: November 22, 2018, 05:12:27 am »
As mentioned, I doubt any inspector here would know the difference between a stock frame and a banana.

If it's a one-off frame for personal use cut out the stamped VIN # from the stock steering head and tack it on the new head. Likewise carefully remove the alum plate and glue/rivot on.

Yep, that's how it works in Italy too. They won't care much about the frame (they don't have a clue on how an original frame looks like) but mostly about lights, indicators, horn, etc...

My experience here in Italy is that they (i.e. inspectors and police) don't care much about choppers, cafe racer and the likes, as they know the riders of those bikes won't be likely to drive fast or recklessly. I never heard of a Harley rider being stopped by the police and having his bike confiscated because of an aftermarket non-homologated exhaust... If you get stopped while riding a modern supersport bike and may help you God even if you have one non-original bolt

Which means I have to export my bike to Italy! And I need someone to register it for me and sell it back to me afterwards  ;D

Doable, but you need to sacrifice an original frame with papers in order

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #130 on: November 22, 2018, 08:02:58 am »
At www.good-bits.co.uk we have been quietly working on new chassis for the smith honda F750 race bike. The new chassis is awaiting final approval for UK championship status etc, and we intend to have complete bike ready for some races next year.

The frame is available to order now. if anybody would like one. we have jigs already manufactured

For F750 rules the frame has to look the similar to original road frame, so it is twin shock etc, but the tubing used is lighter and more rigid and slightly larger in dia. we also took the opportunity to change the geometry of the chassis, and use a period looking box section swing arm in conjunction with new magnesium front and rear hubs to get rid of as much weight as possible.  This will be the best way forward to create a competitive machine, the std chassis/running gear is just not good enough to cut it with the rob north framed triples fully developed in todays championships

The frames are made here in uk by an established race frame manufacturer and are a real thing of beauty.

Frame and swing arm kit is £3600

I would love to get some out there running in f750 classic racing. and would consider some kind of support package if a good rider commits to a full championship.

andy

Andy,

Nice to hear about your frame project.  I’d love to see pictures of your work at some point.

George

Offline livefast_dieold

• Hot Shot
« Reply #131 on: November 22, 2018, 08:15:26 am »
BTW, there's a free CAD model of the frame here: https://grabcad.com/library/honda-cb-750-frame-1

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #132 on: November 22, 2018, 01:52:18 pm »
some good stuff in your site andy, compliments of taking on the task of doing better "stock" frames.
just in case it helps to know, davies motorpsorts did something similar with 500/4 frames, i.e. redone with proper tubing but stock design and got them approved for racing in UK. You might want to have a word with him. 

Offline Leino

• Not much of an
  • Expert
  • in drag racing since 2005
« Reply #133 on: November 23, 2018, 10:08:06 am »
Racing use only frames?

Offline Medyo Bastos

• Master
  • Gusto mo titi ko?
    • project
« Reply #134 on: November 23, 2018, 10:39:58 am »
well i got it !    sam i thought peter darvil died about 10 years ago .

Yes Simon but before he did, a friend of mine who like you, I met on here married his daughter and resurrected the team.
It was Darvill Racing who set up that Electric Land Speed Record that I set a few weeks before my big accident.
Of the two frames he had, he sold one to a friend of mine in Texas who is also a member of the forum, as is the owner of the #2 bike.

Sammy, your friend married his daughter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #135 on: November 23, 2018, 02:39:40 pm »
pretty normal behaviour in the isle of man 

Offline Leino

• Not much of an
  • Expert
« Reply #136 on: November 25, 2018, 01:55:20 am »
If the answer to my previous question is "yes", have you contacted JL-Meccanica for a quote?

Offline livefast_dieold

• Hot Shot
« Reply #137 on: November 25, 2018, 12:49:21 pm »
If the answer to my previous question is "yes", have you contacted JL-Meccanica for a quote?

Totally forgot to ask them, I even followed them on facebook.
Will drop them a line, thanks for reminding!

Offline Leino

• Not much of an
  • Expert
« Reply #138 on: November 26, 2018, 05:01:11 am »

Totally forgot to ask them, I even followed them on facebook.
Will drop them a line, thanks for reminding!
Janne is running a one man show so he might be busy but worth asking anyway.

Offline livefast_dieold

• Hot Shot
« Reply #139 on: November 27, 2018, 08:15:30 am »
Folks, it seems we have a winner: it's JL Meccanica

backbone egli style frame at 900 € +300 € for swingarm
trellis martin style frame at 2500  € (including swingarm)

Really hard ot say no to the egli frame

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #140 on: November 27, 2018, 10:26:25 am »
it depends how good the frames are , if you cant win a race on it its worthless .

Online calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #141 on: November 27, 2018, 11:21:31 am »
Folks, it seems we have a winner: it's JL Meccanica

backbone egli style frame at 900 € +300 € for swingarm
trellis martin style frame at 2500  € (including swingarm)

Really hard ot say no to the egli frame
Those are very good prices indeed. Runs about $1350 USD as of today's rates.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #142 on: November 27, 2018, 02:15:46 pm »
really is price the biggest factor ?

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2018, 04:21:03 pm »

I've been asking myself that question since this tread started Simon.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Online calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2018, 05:47:03 pm »
Well, for an Egli frame or a Martin Trellis style, one would comment on the price. Given these frames already have a pedigree, what's to decide beyond whether the price is within reach of the average club racer?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Online calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #145 on: November 27, 2018, 05:48:22 pm »
I believe the thread was started to survey interest for a "Group Purchase" in order to defray costs. Duh...

Offline livefast_dieold

• Hot Shot
« Reply #146 on: November 28, 2018, 03:02:29 am »

I don't understand the sense of this comment.
Price is definitely a factor, as it varies widely without much explanation from one manufacturer to another. I got quotations for backbone egli-style frames from 10.000 €, to this one of 900 €. So what is driving this massive difference? It's not the quality of the steel, nor the cost of labour, as the lowest quotation comes from Finland, not exactly a cheap labor country.

My understanding so far is that the difference is driven by experience: a manufacturer that regularly does frame is able to offer them at the lowest price (as JL Meccanica and George Martin himself) as it has already cover its tooling cost (jig, welders and so on) and he also knows how to do it efficiently.

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #147 on: November 28, 2018, 10:23:56 am »
do you think all replica frames are the same?  do you think they all have the same geometry ? do you think the builders all have the same skill ?
do you think they have all been tested the same ? do you think they all can lap at the same speed?   .... no you dont and that is the sense of that comment .   in racing i have found that the people only sell things cheap because they know its not very good . price should be a factor but a long way behind quality and function .

Offline slikwilli420

• Master of Disaster
  • Master
« Reply #148 on: November 28, 2018, 10:35:29 am »
Agreed, performance is the top consideration. Having said that, there are already world class frames available with the price tag to match. If I can already buy world class at X price, then this other option (which may be better, the same, or worse than known builders) needs to have a price to match. CMR for example, has a long track record of world class performance and without that factor included, the price needs to reflect the chance I am taking on an unknown builder.
All you gotta do is do what you gotta do.

Vintage Speed Parts Mashup: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=133638.0
Rickman CR Parts Kit Refresh: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,154837.0.html
AHRMA CB750 Racer: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,158461.0.html
AHRMA Superbike Heavyweight Racer: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173120.0.html
'76F CB750 Patina Redemption: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,174871.0.html

Offline eli

• Life is hard if you cannot work on your bike...
    • Seeley-Honda
« Reply #149 on: November 28, 2018, 11:26:44 am »
As many over here, I moved from Europe to this (US-) forum because of reasons like size of community, collective experience and competence of many members and, I must add, the polite and friendly ways of conversation over here at SOHC4.net.
This discussion begins to lack one of the three.
Obviously, there are some arguing from the point of "racing" and others from the point of "high performance" or let's say "higher performance as stock". I understood that this part of the forum is for both. Maybe I'm wrong with thinking like that and what for example I'm doing is only "amateurish tinkering with a bike for the good looks and a few mph more" or "cafe-racer-building" or something like that. I personally admit that I will never race a bike in my live. But I know that the information I'm looking for can be found in the "High Performance and Racing Forum" and not in "SOHC/4 Bikes" or somewhere else.
Which brings me to the point. From what I read I get two ideas what is possibly happening:
A) People are arguing about two different things (a nice performance aftermarket frame vs. the one best racing frame). Why argue then? The thread was started with the first idea in mind (correct me if I'm wrong).
or
B) People that are simply interested in performance and trick knowledge for the bike should not comment here, because they are not competent enough/they are no racers.
As a humble (relatively new) member of the forum I would like to know what the intention of the "High Perfomance And Racing" forum is, so that I know where to comment.
eli
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 11:29:56 am by eli »
Will my patience hold till the thing is finished???

Seeley build:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171911.0.html