Author Topic: Gear fabricating  (Read 1456 times)

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
Gear fabricating
« on: January 06, 2019, 11:24:56 am »
Has anyone had a gear (or gears) fabricated in North America? I need one for my gearbox.

Offline Captain

• Enthusiast
Re: Gear fabricating
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 12:58:01 pm »
Has anyone had a gear (or gears) fabricated in North America? I need one for my gearbox.

No but it's as easy as "down under" so if you run into trouble let me know as I can probably help you.

Captain

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 05:26:58 pm »
Thanks Brent, I'll let you know. I haven't heard back from Ellis in the UK so I'm "reaching out" closer to home first....just in case. Plus, this gearbox is all one-off stuff and it scares the #$%* out of me shipping anywhere, let alone across the world!!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 05:32:28 pm by bwaller »

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 06:26:27 pm »
My neighbor runs a machine shop that produces, among other things, blanks for gears. I sometimes help run parts for him if he gets behind. The shop two doors down then takes the blanks and cuts the teeth and/or splines, and from there they are sent out for heat treating.
One-off parts all always expensive!!! Reverse-engineering a part adds to the expense, compared to working from a toleranced blueprint.   
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 07:17:05 pm »
This was a gear that I had made with one extra tooth. Reverse engineering probably required.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 07:34:46 pm »
I see there is a chunk missing out of the tooth at the top. Was the mating gear also modified? The main shape of the gear and the dogs would be done at Mike's shop, before moving on to the gear/spline shop.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline teebee67

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 02:25:57 am »
bwaller, unfortunately I doubt you will hear from Ellis anytime soon. He had a really bad crash at the last Aintree meeting of the season. Sad to say he is very seriously injured with life changing injuries.
I'm only old on the outside.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 02:27:52 am »
Brent, to add to what Tony has just posted, sad news about Ellis, no more gearboxes due to a bad crash he had while racing at Aintree 15th Sep.
He sustained a spinal injury and can no longer walk according to the lady I spoke to, guessing it was his wife.
Sorry for the bad news my friend.

Sam.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 04:03:07 am »
That is horrible news, poor Ellis. He is such a great guy, I hate hearing this.

Offline Rocketman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 11:58:53 am »
Wow, that is awful news.  Not sure how to say this without sounding superficial, but wishing better days ahead for Ellis.