Author Topic: Combo rec/reg decreasing voltage?  (Read 905 times)

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
Combo rec/reg decreasing voltage?
« on: September 20, 2019, 08:02:04 am »
Could you lower the voltage coming out of a sealed combo rec/reg unit with a resistor or something before it hits the battery?   I have one that charges at 14.7 volts.  Using a new lithium battery that only wants to be charged at 14v.    Possible?  Or, is a new reg/rec in order?

Curious
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
Re: Combo rec/reg decreasing voltage?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 01:01:29 pm »
Resistor would have to be large power capacity to dissipate the power and it would get very hot. In another life I was a ceramic power resistor product engineer. Not practical as you would have to find a place to put it to prevent accidental burns and its performance is going to vary a little with extremes of ambient temp. The resistance value should not vary but it will see a swing in temp that varies with the heat of summer.
You would be better off buying the correct rect/reg unit than trying to jerry rig something.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 10:19:29 pm »
No, you can't simply add a resistor to change the regulated voltage. Rick's has a lithium specific regulator/rectifier, and Oregon Motor Parts has an adjustable solid state regulator.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 11:33:07 am »
You guys guessed.  We were hoping to reuse an old rec/reg combo I had for a buddy's bike.  I'll relay the news.  Thanks fellas
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.