Author Topic: Little kids and women were running away from it.  (Read 3140 times)

Offline jrrobertsjr

• Enthusiast
  • If you aren't scared, your not going fast enough.
Little kids and women were running away from it.
« on: March 27, 2007, 07:50:36 am »
So I come back from a spending a great weekend down in McAllen with Kghost. I returned back to Houston with a freshly painted tank and freshly painted headers.

The old tank had a pinhole leak that has defied repair and the MAC headers have been an eyesore since I pulled them out of the box and the original paint was butchered up through a lack of padding and shipping.

Kghost painted a new tank while I bead blasted the original paint off the headers and laid down new grill paint on them. 750 miles round trip later and everything is at the house.

While the tank was continuing to cure, I decided to be productive and get the headers mounted up. It looked good and it was time to put on the muffler. Then it happened.

“I wonder what it sounds like without the muffler and just the headers?”

WOW! Nobody told me what these CB750K8 motors sounded like without mufflers.

Stuff is vibrating off my workbench and the dog hauls ass into the house.

“If it sounds this good in the garage, I wonder what it would sound like at 5000 RPM?”

So I back it out of the garage and off I go.

Little kids and women were running away from it. I managed to set off about 30 car alarms and get people off their couches to come outside to see what was going on.

Overall, a damn good time and needless to say, the muffler still hasn’t been put on the bike.

I have had the muffler apart and there is no packing on the inside so there is nothing to take out so I could have a louder pipe and keep the muffler.

Here is my question.

Has anyone modified these MAC 4-1 mufflers to get a bit more howl out of them? If so, how?

It would be great to have 2 of the mufflers. One I could gut and get rid of all the sound cancellation and have the noise and still have a full muffler canister to hang from the rear peg mount so the headers are supported and one that was stock.

Anyone out there have one of these that they decided not to use? Let me know.

Thanks,

Johnny
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 07:55:02 am by jrrobertsjr »

Andoo

Re: Little kids and women were running away from it.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 08:56:08 am »
Take the baffle out and drill larger/more holes to make it less restrictive.
This will make it louder but won’t necessarily make the sound much different.
If you want a deep howl you'll have to make the exit diameter of the baffle larger.
The only way to do that is make your own... or you could just take the baffle out all together and piss off everyone.
Also check your plugs because with less restriction in the pipe your jetting may have to change.

I took automotive muffler tips and made my own baffle with much less restriction and some packing to give a good meaty sound but retaining a quiet rumble at lower rpm.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 08:59:12 am by Andoo »

Offline nteek754

• Hot Shot
  • 1973 K3/750/836/70 1970 750 chopper 1973 cafe
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 09:47:08 am »
HEY all I made my sisters 74 750 K mac 4 into 1 sound really good  I put a KERKER on it cant beat that sound or performance  she did already have the kerker megaphone on her Mac pipe so put on a hand me down  from one I bought and  had abused off roading grrrr no more of that  we run just the cone piece in it no baffle  tuned perfect and  kicks ass  you can keep them quiet  and you can make them bark. have fun seven fifty four ever Craig in Maine
seven fifty four ever its not the destination its the journey Ive been collecting these old dinasours for 33 years . they are quite an ICON

Offline MrFry

• Enthusiast
    • T-Fry.com <--Under Construction
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 09:54:09 am »
i completely stripped out my Kerker 4-1. Yes... it's loud! >:D

no muffler:

Cored Kerker with End-Cap

Kerker "shell":

Corded Kerker with End-Cap and flames

i'm thinking of throwing a competition baffle in it only cause it's quite annoying at 3k rpm warm-up
and i imagine my neighbors wouldn't be to happy when i take it out for an early ride.

Andoo

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 10:06:05 am »
You think thats loud? This is loud!  :P

Offline jrrobertsjr

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 04:22:04 pm »

I disassembled the muffler.

Below is what it looked like. I cleaned it up a bit.

Suggestions more than welcome. Heck - Thats why I am here.

Offline MrFry

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 04:34:24 pm »
cut off the welds - making it 2 pieces. slide one piece into the other and bam! straight-through exhaust.

orrr you could buy some perforated tubing, weld it to those caps, and wrap with fiberglass exhaust packing.

suzukisam

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 06:39:52 pm »
You think thats loud? This is loud!  :P

That is just plain beautiful! I run 4-2 header with tiny mufflers and i like that sound.  I ran with open headers for 1 week and I think I lost 20% of my hearing.

Offline paxtonpony

• Hot Shot
  • Up the Irons!
    • My Pics
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 09:53:40 am »
Is there a trick to getting the cone out of the Kereker?  I undid the screw on the side but the cone won't budge.  I was thinking of using a pulley puller but I'm a little worried I'll damage the cone in the process.

I really liked those sound clips.  My bike definitely needs some more bark.  After riding my VFR for a few weeks, I noticed my CB sounds more like a moped, I need to uncork some noise.
1969 CB750K - Wrecked
1978 CB750K - Sold
1992 GS500 Streetfighter - Sold
1975 CB750F - Sold (sniff, sniff)
1994 VFR750F - Sold
1990 GSXR 750 - Sold
1999 CBR1100XX - Sold
2000 Triumph Legend TT - Bike of the week for me?
1992 Mustang - Paxton powered (12.02@115mph on street tires) and For Sal

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 10:40:53 am »
They sound even better running that open header when it's cammed up! Why not just cut off the whole front of the baffle?!
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Chris Liston

• Expert
    • http://christopherliston.com
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 10:44:19 am »
Is there a trick to getting the cone out of the Kereker?  I undid the screw on the side but the cone won't budge.  I was thinking of using a pulley puller but I'm a little worried I'll damage the cone in the process.

I'm in the same boat with the MAC 550 system I bought.  Got it used on Ebay and removed the bolt but the baffle section wont budge at all.  Looking at the pic posted it looks like the header side is at alittle angle and probably alittle rusted in there too. 

Any ideas?
2008 Triumph Speed Triple Black and NASTY
1976 CB550F Cafe in progress
http://christopherliston.com
http://gallery.sohc4.net/main.php?g2_itemId=2402

Offline jrrobertsjr

• Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 11:26:15 am »
Chris,

It is definitely at an angle.

Not what I would call the highest fit and finish on the MAC pipe.

I used the handle of a hammer to push the baffle out after I had the muffler off the bike.

It was NOT easy.

Offline MrFry

• Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 11:34:30 am »

I really liked those sound clips.  My bike definitely needs some more bark.  After riding my VFR for a few weeks, I noticed my CB sounds more like a moped, I need to uncork some noise.
hmm after a bit of wiggling mine came right out. Perhaps put a handle down the end and wiggle it back and forth - it probably just needs to break loose.

Offline jrrobertsjr

• Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 05:27:57 am »

I figured I would try this before I started the fabrication of a glass pack muffler.

Obviously much quieter than the open pipes but definitely louder than it was before.

I started off with 1/4 inch holes and tried it. It would howl when I really got on it hard.

Like most Americans, I decided if a little was good, more would be better and I opened them up to 1/2 inch.

10 holes on the pipe close the the header and 12 on the other.

I will probably keep it like this for a while.

Can anyone pint me to pipe that is better quality than these MACs?

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 09:02:54 am »
Baffles are for women and people who want to get hit by cagers..
Run the thing no baffle, and you wont look back !
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

Offline Jinxracing

• It's hot shit, not
  • Hot Shot
  • '70 CB750 K1
    • The Hairy Nickel
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 09:08:05 am »

Damn Teal, you sound like one of those feet-forward-with-fringe fellas! You sure you're not a dentist?  ;D ;D ;D

Jinx
"Each of us can find a maggot in our past which will happily devour our futures."

–Captain Horatio Hornblower

www.thehairynickel.com

Offline paxtonpony

• Hot Shot
  • Up the Irons!
    • My Pics
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 09:10:12 am »
Kerker.

But, you already have the headers.  My suggestion would be to just pick up a slip on pipe and throw it on there.  Look around e-bay for pretty much any pipe someone has taken off their bike.  You could probably throw a stock pipe on there from a busa or something and it'll probably sound pretty good.
1969 CB750K - Wrecked
1978 CB750K - Sold
1992 GS500 Streetfighter - Sold
1975 CB750F - Sold (sniff, sniff)
1994 VFR750F - Sold
1990 GSXR 750 - Sold
1999 CBR1100XX - Sold
2000 Triumph Legend TT - Bike of the week for me?
1992 Mustang - Paxton powered (12.02@115mph on street tires) and For Sal

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 09:28:36 am »

Damn Teal, you sound like one of those feet-forward-with-fringe fellas! You sure you're not a dentist?  ;D ;D ;D

Jinx
I do come from the HD/V-twin world.
It shows it's head once in awhile  ;D

Offline kuyarico

• Hot Shot
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 11:34:38 am »

I had problems getting the cone out of my Kerker. I took the handle off of my floor jack, situated it on the ground, slid muffler onto the handle and forcefully whacked it out from the inside. It should pop out with a few good blows. My cone was fully intact.

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 11:37:14 am »

I had problems getting the cone out of my Kerker. I took the handle off of my floor jack, situated it on the ground, slid muffler onto the handle and forcefully whacked it out from the inside. It should pop out with a few good blows. My cone was fully intact.
Thats exactly how I got the baffle outta my MAC 4 into 1.
A slide hammer would prob. also work well , with lots of WD40 !

Offline kuyarico

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 11:40:05 am »

Thats exactly how I got the baffle outta my MAC 4 into 1.
A slide hammer would prob. also work well , with lots of WD40 !

Oh yeah, I also soaked it overnight with PB Blaster.

Offline jrrobertsjr

• Enthusiast
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 11:47:48 am »
ProTeal has me wanting to ditch the whole thing.

It is one obnoxious beast without it but honestly, I don't think it will bother me that much.

He definitely practices his own gospel. I think our pipes are the same and after checkin his gallery, no baffles there.

Proteal, do you have the baffle out of the pipe you are running.

Gimme a call, I sent you a PM.

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2007, 11:58:17 am »
Proteal, do you have the baffle out of the pipe you are running.
I knocked the baffle outta my MAC 4 into 1 before I even put it on my bike !

The bike is def. loud, and has a nice high pitch/rasp to it right before I shift to the next gear.
I still want to cut/weld the "cannon" so it is alittle closer to the bike, but that has nothing to do with the sound (more the overall look). I was thinking about cutting down the cannon, but that is gonna change the pitch of the exhaust tone (smaller cannon-less echo-etc)..

User STEVEF has a wicked little cannon on his yellow bike, and that thing friggin Screams as it goes down the road  ;D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 12:19:38 pm by ProTeal55 »