Author Topic: Stock 79 CB650 Exhaust note  (Read 1655 times)

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
Stock 79 CB650 Exhaust note
« on: March 29, 2007, 11:03:59 am »
After a ride last night (about 95 miles) I got home and figured I'd play around with the video recorder on my cellphone. I recorded the exhaust note/throttle response of my bike. I'm running an open air cleaner (stock filter), 102.5 main jets, and everything else is stock. The mufflers still have the Honda PN stamp on them.

Since this is my first real bike, I don't know if the throttle should be more responsive, or if the exhaust should be louder/quieter/lower, etc. Any comments from my fellow SOHC4 owners??
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 11:13:34 am by Pinhead »
Doug

Click --> Cheap Regulator/Rectifier for any of Honda's 3-phase charging systems (all SOHC4's).

GM HEI Ignition Conversion

Quote from: TwoTired
By the way, I'm going for the tinfoil pants...so they can't read my private thoughts.
:D

Offline DammitDan

• Jedi
  • Master
  • Slowly returning to the Honda flock...
Re: Stock 79 CB650 Exhaust note
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 01:00:55 pm »
My 650 has about the same throttle response time.  Not super quick, but not slow either.

And I can't tell from the video cause the sound on it is pretty bad.  But I do remember the stock exhaust on my bike was pretty quiet.  The MAC 4-1 fixed that.
Signatures are for wimps!

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 05:58:49 pm »
Did the MAC 4-1 force you to re-jet? Did it help/hurt power any? I'm honestly considering some slip-ons for the stock headers (or maybe have someone weld some decent collectors for my 4-2's).

I need to get a decent digital recorder so I can make the vid sound a little better... I think it sounds pretty good.
Doug

Click --> Cheap Regulator/Rectifier for any of Honda's 3-phase charging systems (all SOHC4's).

By the way, I'm going for the tinfoil pants...so they can't read my private thoughts.

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 06:32:05 pm »
you guys remember the 79/80  had diff carbs than the 81/82.  So  jets are diff to begine with.

Terry
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker

Offline DammitDan

• Jedi
  • Master
  • Slowly returning to the Honda flock...
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 07:07:25 pm »
No I didn't have to re-jet.

And I can't tell much of a difference in performance.  It's just looks for me.
Signatures are for wimps!

Offline c_kyle

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 08:19:49 am »
My '79 650 has stock jets (to my knowledge), air filter, exhaust, original cables, etc.  The sound quality was pretty bad, but I think mine has a little quicker throttle response than that.  On the road, it takes off when I roll the throttle.  The exhaust note seems about the same; but it's hard to tell.
Izanami, my 1979 CB650Z:  Clicky

Offline c_kyle

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 08:21:14 am »
You're lucky, though; at least you have a good right side-cover!
Izanami, my 1979 CB650Z:  Clicky

Ibsen

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 11:31:38 am »
I think Mac claims that you shouldn't have to re jet.

This is how my 80 sounds with a stock air filter (the lid is still on the filter box) and drilled mufflers.
LINK

I forgot the check the main jet sizes when I had the carbs off though. ::)
But the bike runs good. I rode it yesterday and it pulled strongly to 110mph, and I'm sure I could have have kept on for 10mhp more but the rider gave in before the bike. ;D

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 12:26:12 pm »
I wasn't cranking it to WOT. That was only about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. I know my accelerator pump jets are plugged, so I basically have no accelerator pump. That would incrase my throttle response. Going down the road, however, runs like a striped-assed ape. I have yet to find it's "top speed" because past 100 mph the thought of getting a ticket (or becoming an asphalt smear) bring me back to my senses.

I want to get mufflers that aren't necessarily louder, but deeper. Maybe straight-through glass-packs would work. There's a video somewhere on the forum that demonstrates straight headers; I love the sound, but it's too loud. If it were a bit quieter with the same sound, that'd be perfect. Any suggestions?
Doug