Poll

Why do we prefer Honda

Style
Performance
Durability
Factory Parts availability
Aftermarket Parts Availability
Other

Author Topic: Why do we prefer Honda  (Read 17644 times)

Offline hondaface75

• Hot Shot
Re: Why do we prefer Honda
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2010, 04:59:29 am »
Other = All of the above :) Soichioro had a great work ethic, I respect that. He had a passion for motorcycles that showed in his bikes. What I would give to have a Dream Dtype  :o  My first ride was solo on an 80sumthin XR200 and then a bored out 125 up to a 250 and that started everything. Other than that, all of my honda cars, generators, pressure washers, and now motorcycles have never failed me completely. I had to replace worn parts but when I put them back and turned the key they worked! I've never been stranded anywhere. Ever. On a honda. They look great, sound great. I dont know, maybe Honda chose me?

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2010, 01:56:16 pm »
Search Doctor_D's posts, he just finished restoring a 50's Model D and they're showing it at the Barber Museum.  One of his links is to his page with some VERY nice pics.  The first one I've ever seen like it.
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline jbonham

• Um, do you know where this goes.......?
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2010, 02:29:01 pm »
You know, my dad had a Honda when I was a kid and I guess I got attached to the thing. In those days my dad could load up me on the tank and my brother on the rear and off we go down the street to baseball practice. Safe? Not really but back then you could get away with a lot. My dad rode that thing everyday to work no matter the weather or traffic conditions. He loved it and I grew to love it after years of seeing him on it. One day though, he was cutoff and had to lay it over. He came home all scratched up and worn out. Mom never said anything except that she was glad he was alright. The next day the Honda was gone and in its place a shiny red Toyota pickup. I was heartbroken but new I wanted my dad around for a few more years.

Now things have changed a bit. Dad asks me constantly about my project and how it's going. I wish I could just show up at his house on it and let him take it for a spin. He has kept his motorcycle designation on his license even after all these years and I know he would get a kick out of it. Something to plan for I guess before it's too late.
1971 CB750 K1
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1600

Offline stevej

« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2010, 03:04:52 pm »
Why do we prefer Honda? simple its the attention to detail on everything they make.
1974 cb350f,   1980cb550,  1990 Zephyr750

Offline Motoguy23

• Enthusiast
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2010, 03:15:52 pm »
I remember when I got my first dirtbike when I was in 5th grade and it was a brand new 2000 XR100.  There was nothing you could do to that thing that would make it break down.  After that I got a hand me down 1999 XR200 that my brother rode and it took a 20 vertical drop into a creek bed.  90 degree angled the forks and cracked the case and bent the crankshaft.

Replaced the bottom end with a 1990 Xr200 that I had laying around and pixed her up with a cam, high comp piston and an exhaust system.  Ran like a champ.  I was passing cars that were on the high way and I was in the ditch jumping field approaches.

Grew up with Honda thats all I know. 
All glory to the hypno-toad.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2010, 04:43:13 pm »
You know, my dad had a Honda when I was a kid and I guess I got attached to the thing. In those days my dad could load up me on the tank and my brother on the rear and off we go down the street to baseball practice. Safe? Not really but back then you could get away with a lot. My dad rode that thing everyday to work no matter the weather or traffic conditions. He loved it and I grew to love it after years of seeing him on it. One day though, he was cutoff and had to lay it over. He came home all scratched up and worn out. Mom never said anything except that she was glad he was alright. The next day the Honda was gone and in its place a shiny red Toyota pickup. I was heartbroken but new I wanted my dad around for a few more years.

Now things have changed a bit. Dad asks me constantly about my project and how it's going. I wish I could just show up at his house on it and let him take it for a spin. He has kept his motorcycle designation on his license even after all these years and I know he would get a kick out of it. Something to plan for I guess before it's too late.
Good story. You really need to do it asap.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 01:28:41 am by meriggi »
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline CrankyOldGuy

• Wish I was a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2010, 10:04:38 pm »
Fortunately I was around when motorcycling took off in the late 60's in my neck of the woods.  I had a 68 Honda 90, 69 CB160, 70 CB450 K1 and my present 71 CB750 K1.  All of these bikes were extremely clean, had no maintenance issues and always started.

My friends has Triumph and BSA 500's and 650's,  and they all leaked oil and the electrics were dismal at best.

Kawasaki had the 500 triple but it was a two stroke which was smoky at times.

Norton 750 Commandos were well known for terminating their transmissions ...  I became an expert at rebuilding my friend's transmission.

All in all ... the Hondas were the bikes that you would actually take on a long distance trip and have no fear of a breakdown.  My biggest problem was remembering that was already on reserve from the night before.
750 K1 Original Owner