Author Topic: The 1970 Daytona CR750s.  (Read 262733 times)

Offline H2Eric

• Hot Shot
Re: The 1970 Daytona CR750s.
« Reply #425 on: September 03, 2009, 11:31:00 am »
From the very few pictures I've seen of Dick Mann's bike (Classic Bike - Dec 2001) the rear shock absorber body appears to made from aluminium. Does anybody know if that was the case. The rear shocks appear different from the 'kit' ones as they seem to have an eye at the bottom instead of the usual Honda fork. Perchance the springs were made of titanium as well.
Any info gratefully received.

Eric
Honda CR750
Honda CB750K3
Kawasaki 750H2B
Suzuki GS750
Honda CB175
Honda CB350F
Yamaha R1

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,94588.0.html

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #426 on: September 03, 2009, 03:29:07 pm »
Hi Eric, welcome to the forum. 8) I have lots of pictures of the factory bikes but I am at work at the moment so can't have a look.
I must admit the eye instead of fork end is something I have not picked up on.
Saying that, in most pictures the lower end of the unit is hidden behind the ends of the meggas.
I've had a look around the net and found one of the pictures I have at home but when I tried to enlarged it, the quality of the picture deteriorated and I was unable to tell.
If you have the picture that you noticed it on and can blow it up and post it, I would like to see it.
I'm meeting Steve Murray, one of the English mechanic's in about 5 weeks time, I'm not sure he would remember a small thing like that but I'll ask.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #427 on: September 03, 2009, 05:46:19 pm »
Sam! MR said you can read Japanese well! (That's why you ordered a manual in Japanese!)  ;)

The smile on Bugsy's face says it ALL!

Can you translate the article Sam?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #428 on: September 03, 2009, 08:09:43 pm »
Billy, if you go to the top of page 6 of this thread, you'll find me welcoming Rob (Voxonda) to the forum in his native language, Dutch. If you read on you will find AndyCB750 was impressed and knowing that Andy could speak Japanese we started chating in Japanese.
Andy is from Scotand so I asked him in my best Japanese, can your mother play the bagpipes? It was all just a bit of fun really ;D ;D ;D
I would be pleased to translate your paper but it is so poorley reproduced I can't see it.

アンディーは翻訳に私より大いによくある、多分彼はあなたのためのそれをする
Andy is much better than me at translating, perhaps he will do it for you. ::) ::) ::)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #429 on: September 03, 2009, 08:15:03 pm »
Hey, Sam! Do ya know what they call someone who speaks three languages?

Tri-lingual.

Someone who speaks two languages?

Bi-lingual.

Someone who speaks one language?

American!

;D  RR
I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #430 on: September 03, 2009, 08:17:50 pm »
Hey, Sam! Do ya know what they call someone who speaks three languages?

Tri-lingual.

Someone who speaks two languages?

Bi-lingual.

Someone who speaks one language?

American!

;D  RR

OUCH!
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #431 on: September 03, 2009, 09:04:37 pm »
I have a job speaking English at times ;D ;D ;D  then I have to contend with the likes of
Fender, tripple tee, gas, wrench....the list is endless and like you say..............

American :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sam. ::)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #432 on: September 03, 2009, 10:44:29 pm »
From the very few pictures I've seen of Dick Mann's bike (Classic Bike - Dec 2001) the rear shock absorber body appears to made from aluminium. Does anybody know if that was the case. The rear shocks appear different from the 'kit' ones as they seem to have an eye at the bottom instead of the usual Honda fork. Perchance the springs were made of titanium as well.
Any info gratefully received.

Eric

Hey Eric,

Yes the bottom mount is an eye, like all true CR swingarms. Wouldn't be suprised if Ti was used, factory Honda's used a lot of that stuff.

Cheers, Rob
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 03:18:05 am by voxonda »
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline H2Eric

• Hot Shot
« Reply #433 on: September 05, 2009, 02:49:35 am »
Thanks Rob

The picture of the rear CR750 shock is much better that the one I have and confirms what I've always suspected. As for the springs being titanium, its quite possible as Suzuki used titanium springs on Barry Sheene's RG500.
All I have to do now is find a reasonable copy for my own CR project. Anyone else been down this particular path?

Cheers
Eric
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 02:52:01 am by H2Eric »
Honda CR750
Honda CB750K3
Kawasaki 750H2B
Suzuki GS750
Honda CB175
Honda CB350F
Yamaha R1

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #434 on: September 05, 2009, 04:13:07 am »
Hi Eric,

You want Ti-springs? Or want a copy of the swing?

Cheers, rob

Offline H2Eric

• Hot Shot
« Reply #435 on: September 05, 2009, 08:51:48 am »
Hi Rob

I have a swinging arm currently in the process of being modified. What I'm looking for is a pair of shocks that come as close as possible to those used on the Honda works bikes at Daytona for use on my own CR750 project. To that end any info on the originals would be most welcome. I understand from investigations so far that the body of the shock was made of alloy, the picture you kindly posted would appear to confirm this. The springs were obviously of the single rate type, but whether they were made of titanium or not is perhaps irrelevant from the point of view of a replica as when painted nobody would know, but on the other hand it would be nice to know in order to get the details correct. Titanium springs can be made no doubt, but at what cost I dread to think.
A pair of Ikons may be the way to go if all else fails.

Regards
Eric
Honda CR750
Honda CB750K3
Kawasaki 750H2B
Suzuki GS750
Honda CB175
Honda CB350F
Yamaha R1

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #436 on: September 05, 2009, 05:12:55 pm »
A pair of Ikons may be the way to go if all else fails.

Ikon have an alloy bodied shock now, i'm thinking of trying these myself..
http://www.ikonsuspension.com/content/product_ranges/7614_series_shocks.shtml

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline ttr400

• Hot Shot
    • ttr400 Projects and Billet parts.
« Reply #437 on: September 09, 2009, 07:06:16 am »
Not sure if this the right place to post these questions, but seeing as this is the CR750 page.

I am now finally starting out on a CB750 racing type, Daytona Dick Mann replica.

Some time ago I purchased a CD and drawings plus a t-shirt off ebay, any they never arrived, so does anybody have the drawings that I could buy, the info that was on there was for the position of all the brackets to be welded to the frame as per the factory bikes. probably had some more info as well. ah well 65 bucks down the drain.!

Also doing the swingarm mod, new about that one a while ago.

Anybody know what the wheel widths were? All I know is that they ran 18 inch front and rear.
I think the Daytona bikes used the Dunlop tyres? KR124 ? size ?

Any help would be appreciated. I am sure there will be more questions.

Thanks Kevin
CB400F- 492 Yoshi Racer.
Cb400F- 466 Yoshi Cafe.
CR750 D Mann Replica.
VFR750R- RC30 - 1988.
www.ttr400.com

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #438 on: September 09, 2009, 08:24:18 am »
Not sure if this the right place to post these questions, but seeing as this is the CR750 page.

I am now finally starting out on a CB750 racing type, Daytona Dick Mann replica.

Some time ago I purchased a CD and drawings plus a t-shirt off ebay, any they never arrived, so does anybody have the drawings that I could buy, the info that was on there was for the position of all the brackets to be welded to the frame as per the factory bikes. probably had some more info as well. ah well 65 bucks down the drain.!

Also doing the swingarm mod, new about that one a while ago.

Anybody know what the wheel widths were? All I know is that they ran 18 inch front and rear.
I think the Daytona bikes used the Dunlop tyres? KR124 ? size ?

Any help would be appreciated. I am sure there will be more questions.

Thanks Kevin

Hey Kev,

Rims width front WM3 and rear WM4, if my memory serves me right. And I have some sketches, with some measurements, taken from the Sumiya bike in Japan. Will scan them and mail them to you.

Cheers mate,

Rob
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 09:02:58 am by voxonda »

Offline ttr400

• Hot Shot
« Reply #439 on: September 09, 2009, 09:11:39 am »
Hi Rob,

That's great. many thanks.

Kevin
CB400F- 492 Yoshi Racer.
Cb400F- 466 Yoshi Cafe.
CR750 D Mann Replica.
VFR750R- RC30 - 1988.
www.ttr400.com

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #440 on: September 09, 2009, 01:47:48 pm »
The man in the photo from the Japanese book is not Mr Dick Mann, but my friend Kurt Liebman. His father owned AMOL Precision in New Jersey which is now closed. The photo was taken in early 80's after Kurt won the F750 race at Daytona when AHRMA (American Historical Racing Motorcycle Association) was just starting. The bike is one of the original 5 "kit" bikes....that were given to special Honda Dealers by Mr Bob Hansen of American Honda.These bikes were not complete bikes as some people talk about, but were sent to dealers in parts only. That is why some have different types of oil tanks, pipes, seat/fuel tanks..as each dealer had their own ideas about what parts worked the best.

Pops Dryer from Chicago, who was Honda's first dealer set up in US... got one, Krause Honda in PA got one, AMOL got one, Spring Branch Honda got one, and Woody Leone in Beaumont, Texas got one.

Note: the Yellow one that Vic World restored, was the Krause Honda bike and that is in Honda Museum in Motegi Japan, along side the Hansen Works CR450 that I restored and raced at Daytona in 1997.

The Woody Leone bike, with most of the kit parts left off... is in Japan at a private owners home. I purchased all of the parts from Woody and used those to complete a 98% accurate CR750 kit bike that Mr Barber owns in Alabama, (ie: Barber Museum)

Kurt/AMOL bike is owned by Kurt and no..it is not for sale.

Dryer Honda still has the bike that received from American Honda.

Spring Branch is gone...no one knows where.

KOS

M3 Racing
220...221, whatever it takes.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #441 on: September 09, 2009, 03:50:21 pm »

Thanks Kevin

Hey Kevin, you are more than welcome to post in this thread, it's about time you stopped playing about with little bikes and built a Manns bike. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm sure after seeing your workmanship and attention to detail, your CR will be up there with the best.

Good luck.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #442 on: September 09, 2009, 04:07:52 pm »
Mark do you know if any kits made it to Canada?  I believe it was Tom Faulds in Toronto that had a CR which I thought might have been a kit bike. It was badly crashed at Mosport in August 1998 and I never saw it again.

Kurt Liebman was racing there as well, dropped a valve, and may well have sold his bike that day....seemed he had been having lots of reliability problems and was not a happy camper.

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #443 on: September 09, 2009, 05:10:28 pm »
Tom Faulds CR750

Yes, Tom had a bike he built up from parts that all Honda dealers had access to, thus the "kit" name. Not much was real CR as he had a fuel tank from plastic, four into one exhaust, and much more stuff that he figured out worked better than the true CR parts. I know him rather well and he still has the bike. When he left Honda of Canada as a Sales VP, he lost his influence over the Superbike riders that Honda of Canada had under contract and lost his true advantage. Yes, He used the best riders to race in the vintage/Classic class!

His bike was almost written off at Mosport and he did rebuild it.

NOTE: Tom Faulds had custody of the Honda "six" GP bike of Mike Hailwood's, until he left Honda of Canada...Honda of Japan made him an offer that he could not refuse and it went back to Motegi Museum and Tom got a nice "enhanced" retirement package.

KOS

M3 Racing USA

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #444 on: September 09, 2009, 05:19:49 pm »
A mate of mine sold an RC144 125 twin back to Honda a few years back, sadley he passed away last month. :'( :'( :'( :'(

Sam. :(
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #445 on: September 09, 2009, 05:29:55 pm »
Yes, Honda wants all of it's "babies' back in the nest, back home in Japan. They even declared a truce... so that people that had these one of a kind rare beauties in there private hands...would and could take them out of hiding and show them and run them. Trouble is, they need new crankshaft assemblies every 300 miles!

Luigi Tavrie's kid blew his Works 4 cylinder 250 up... so he had a CBR250R conversion done for his parade laps that he get's money to do.

KOS

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #446 on: September 09, 2009, 05:40:07 pm »
I have an RC170 rear sprocket on my mantle peice, don't surpose i'll ever find the rest of the bike. :D :D :D :D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #447 on: September 09, 2009, 05:58:57 pm »
Finally the truth about the "250 six", I didn't know Tom was involved. That bike sat in the Toronto Science Center on display for years. Again at Mosport, late seventies I saw that very bike do a few parade laps during the Canadian GP weekend (Bob Wessner was also there) I understand there needed to be at least spark plugs manufactured for this outing.

Among other parade bikes, there was some special Trident as well as a new Harley cafe model mixing it up with the 250 six. The Harley rider crashed and took the Trident and that beautiful Honda down with it.

I never knew where the bike went (thought maybe George Barber) but makes sense it went to Japan.

That is the most fabulous sounding motorcycle ever, you could hear it all the way around the track.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #448 on: September 09, 2009, 06:27:47 pm »
The man in the photo from the Japanese book is not Mr Dick Mann, but my friend Kurt Liebman. His father owned AMOL Precision in New Jersey which is now closed. The photo was taken in early 80's after Kurt won the F750 race at Daytona when AHRMA (American Historical Racing Motorcycle Association) was just starting. The bike is one of the original 5 "kit" bikes....that were given to special Honda Dealers by Mr Bob Hansen of American Honda.These bikes were not complete bikes as some people talk about, but were sent to dealers in parts only. That is why some have different types of oil tanks, pipes, seat/fuel tanks..as each dealer had their own ideas about what parts worked the best.

Pops Dryer from Chicago, who was Honda's first dealer set up in US... got one, Krause Honda in PA got one, AMOL got one, Spring Branch Honda got one, and Woody Leone in Beaumont, Texas got one.

Note: the Yellow one that Vic World restored, was the Krause Honda bike and that is in Honda Museum in Motegi Japan, along side the Hansen Works CR450 that I restored and raced at Daytona in 1997.

The Woody Leone bike, with most of the kit parts left off... is in Japan at a private owners home. I purchased all of the parts from Woody and used those to complete a 98% accurate CR750 kit bike that Mr Barber owns in Alabama, (ie: Barber Museum)

Kurt/AMOL bike is owned by Kurt and no..it is not for sale.

Dryer Honda still has the bike that received from American Honda.

Spring Branch is gone...no one knows where.

KOS

M3 Racing

Correction: Pops Dreyer/Dreyer Honda,"Oldest Honda Dealer in US"  is in Indianapolis, 4152 W. Washington St.  Pops is gone, son runs the show now. Quite a local legacy.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline ttr400

• Hot Shot
« Reply #449 on: September 09, 2009, 11:09:16 pm »
Sam, A Mann's bike for sure, it remains to be seen if I'm man enough for the machine.......... :o
Hey nothing wrong with them little screamers.. ;)

I was at Mosport for the 40th anniversary of the GP and met Tom Faulds and he told me the whole story about the 6 that he rescued from the science center and eventually went back to Japan. he said that Honda didn't even know it was there. It was a 297cc model and he happened to have a used piston.

Kevin
CB400F- 492 Yoshi Racer.
Cb400F- 466 Yoshi Cafe.
CR750 D Mann Replica.
VFR750R- RC30 - 1988.
www.ttr400.com