Author Topic: Put yourself on the map  (Read 39342 times)

Offline burmashave

• Forum Immoderator
  • Old Timer
    • burmashave.net
Re: Put yourself on the map
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2008, 09:46:27 am »
333, I put a marker for you on the map. Unfortunately, I forgot to add the important details (the bikes in your sig).

The pushpin button only becomes after you log in, so you'd have to log in to have another go. Also, I deeply apologize for inprecise instructions. After placing a pushpin, you also need to click on "OK" to save it. There may be other details I have missed.

As a business analyst, I should *never* have provided instructions without *fully* testing the instructions and system. I am ashamed of myself. I offer my apologies to all.

Pills guy, did you change the options on the map so that entries cannot be edited? I ask because I couldn't add details for 333 after I placed him on the map. It does make sense to lock the markers down. I noticed that, unbeknownst to me, I had moved Hope's marker. At least I think I did; her marker now shows as "last edited by Burmashave."

If we do lock the markers down, we need to provide a way to edit them.

Better still, mebbe it'd be a good idea if we had 2-3 maintainers, we could do the posting for all members. We might create a thread, and members could just post there, including city, state/province, country and text for a sig, plus an icon if desired. I think that would be a good idea, and I'd be happy to be one of the maintainers. Unfortunately, this might require another group email. :-(

All that said, for all its money, Google delivers lame software. They are the next Microsoft in terms of "use our software because we are the game in town." If you haven't used Ask.com for searches, try it out. Google hasn't much improved its search engine since delivery in '97. In fact, until Ask.com started putting pressure on Google, Google search results had become filled with the same type of spam that allowed Google to steal Alta Vista's lunch in the late 90's.

The humorous part about Google is that to be hired by Google, one has to pretty much convince the hirers that he or she is the next smartest human being on the planet. I'd say that intelligence is not the only factor in business, or even software design.
Quote from: SOHC Digger, RIP
'Ere's whatcha do, Guvna', just throw a couple dookie logs in the hearth and bob's your uncle!
'77 CB750k

Offline alltherightpills

• Expert
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2008, 10:09:35 am »
If I did anything to lock it, I did it on accident.  I don't really know how to use the map entirely.  I was thinking it would be nice to be able to lock the title of the map because people were putting their usernames and info in that section rather than on the placemarks, which is why there are so many "placemark 1,2,3, ect" pins. 

I think it would be a good idea for 2 or 3 people to do all of the placemarking.  Sounds like a lot of work because of the 4000+ members, but it will make everything consistent.  Perhaps Glenn could give us lists of usernames with locations and we could just start going through them.  What does everyone else think?

Zach
78 550K
77 550K (in pieces)
71 500K0 (in pieces)

Offline 333

• Time for change
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Mail List Member #162 - Call me Stan
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2008, 10:35:09 am »
Thanks, Burma.  I am on the map!
Go metric, every inch of the way!

CB350F0  "Scrouching Tiger"
CT70K0    "Sneezing Poodle"

www.alexandriaseaport.org

Offline burmashave

• Forum Immoderator
  • Old Timer
    • burmashave.net
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2008, 10:45:07 am »
If I did anything to lock it, I did it on accident.  I don't really know how to use the map entirely.  I was thinking it would be nice to be able to lock the title of the map because people were putting their usernames and info in that section rather than on the placemarks, which is why there are so many "placemark 1,2,3, ect" pins. 

I think it would be a good idea for 2 or 3 people to do all of the placemarking.  Sounds like a lot of work because of the 4000+ members, but it will make everything consistent.  Perhaps Glenn could give us lists of usernames with locations and we could just start going through them.  What does everyone else think?

Zach

I'm with you, Pills Guy. It might be a bit of work at first, but I think it would even out over time.
'Ere's whatcha do, Guvna', just throw a couple dookie logs in the hearth and bob's your uncle!
'77 CB750k

Offline alltherightpills

• Expert
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2008, 09:52:40 pm »
Anybody know how to keep everything on one page?  Looks like once we have 200 placemarks it puts the next 200 on another page/map, which doesn't really help anybody out. 
78 550K
77 550K (in pieces)
71 500K0 (in pieces)

Offline medic09

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2008, 10:06:03 pm »
It shows me logged in when I go there, but I don't see any push pin to mark my location.

Just pretend I'm there.  ::)
Mordechai

'78 CB750K
'76 Triumph T160 Trident (rebuilding)
'07 aprilia Caponord

Santa Fe, NM

Offline burmashave

• Forum Immoderator
  • Old Timer
    • burmashave.net
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2008, 05:15:23 am »
It shows me logged in when I go there, but I don't see any push pin to mark my location.

Pretend? You have arrived! I plopped you down in Santa Fe.
'77 CB750k

Offline burmashave

• Forum Immoderator
  • Old Timer
    • burmashave.net
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2008, 05:20:31 am »
I think we may be losing some folks. I recall that there were 2 in New Zealand, but I don't see them anymore.

I said it before. Google, the billion dollar operation, can't make decent map software. Anyone remember the early versions of Internet Explorer?
'77 CB750k

troppo

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2008, 05:25:18 am »
I just had a look, seems hush has been relocated to antarctica hehehehehehehehehe

Offline medic09

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2008, 06:24:23 am »

Thanks!  I've spent 50 years trying to find myself... ::)
Mordechai

'78 CB750K
'76 Triumph T160 Trident (rebuilding)
'07 aprilia Caponord

Santa Fe, NM

jerrit1

« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2008, 08:06:55 am »
Hmm, i cant seem to add myself to the map, im logged in but I see no edit option, I even tried loggin in as sohc4membermap.
Also when i go to that link not logged in to google at all I see everyones pins on the map but once I log in mith my ID or sohc4membermap I get a map with no push pins on it and no ability to edit or add my own push pin.

Offline DarkRider

• Nomad.or Drifter...Def not a
  • Old Timer
  • Lone Wolf.....Among the herd of sport bikers...
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2008, 11:25:41 am »
Heh still the most northern when it comes to north america woot! lol
'84 Chevy C10
'73 MGB Roadster
'69 Ford F250

Currently a rider without a bike

Quote from: heffay
so, you say just tie myself on with this... and steer w/ this?   ;D ;D  ok.  where's my goggles?   8)

Offline Spikeybike

• when planting C4 at your enemy's base make sure you don't use a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • member #1150
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2008, 08:53:58 pm »
well i was gonna say " damn your out in the middle of nowhere"  then i zoomed in , and now i can say "damn your in the middle of a subdivision"  ;D ;D ;D

assuming you put the pointer near where you actually are and not just the city 

Offline DarkRider

• Nomad.or Drifter...Def not a
  • Old Timer
  • Lone Wolf.....Among the herd of sport bikers...
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2008, 01:50:38 pm »
Well given the city is right on the border and im close to said border...its a lil bit of both there manny.
'84 Chevy C10
'73 MGB Roadster
'69 Ford F250

Currently a rider without a bike

Quote from: heffay
so, you say just tie myself on with this... and steer w/ this?   ;D ;D  ok.  where's my goggles?   8)

Offline burmashave

• Forum Immoderator
  • Old Timer
    • burmashave.net
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2008, 09:36:23 am »
Having probs? Post issues and difficulties to this thread. I'll try to help.
'77 CB750k

Offline alltherightpills

• Expert
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2008, 01:29:50 pm »
FYI, I tried clicking on that link Burma, and it said "Session verification failed.  Try logging out and logging back in."  I logged out and logged back in and it still didn't work.
78 550K
77 550K (in pieces)
71 500K0 (in pieces)

Offline Glenn Stauffer

• SOHC/4 #3 - Member since 1994
  • Administrator
  • Expert
    • The SOHC/4 Owners Group
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2008, 05:22:21 pm »
burmashave, try that again.  I had the same problem as alltherightpills.

Offline burmashave

• Forum Immoderator
  • Old Timer
    • burmashave.net
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2008, 06:21:05 pm »
FYI, I tried clicking on that link Burma, and it said "Session verification failed.  Try logging out and logging back in."  I logged out and logged back in and it still didn't work.

My problem was a new and interesting one. The member map didn't really exist when I logged in. There was a map labeled "Map Not Available," but as that was not available, it didn't do much good. When I logged out, I could access the member map. I tried logging back in, and the map disappeared. After trying this a few times, I logged out and tried logging in with the ID/password the group is using. I couldn't log in at all with that one. I didn't want to spend too much time with it this morning because the weather was great for riding.
'77 CB750k

Bl1zzard

« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2009, 07:00:55 pm »
Hi ya,
I logged on as sohc4member but I don't see the edit option.
Can you add me please?
Calgary, Alberta, Cananda
Thanks!

Offline afastman

• new-B on a mission
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2009, 11:25:29 am »
So I cannot believe that there are no more than 3 members in the Greater Los Angeles Area...so what's the real way to find some comrades in the region?
creul, nasty, neurotic, paranoid, antisocial...but basically happy

Offline martino1972

• Expert
  • and still a expert welder,period...
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2009, 11:08:03 pm »
it's really cool,if you zoom in on a person you get a street view ,that's awesome..........
Marti, I want you to know, I like you an awful lot, but guys have said far less and left wearing their drinks on their shirts.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=36933.0  (my bobber)

Offline texaninseattle

• lots of protein in my
  • Enthusiast
  • OHH Canada
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2009, 12:36:37 pm »
all right Im on the map!!!.. you can see my tiny house and everything
1978 Cb550k(Sold)
emgo pods
mac 4-1
105 mains
stock pilots
needles set 1 step richer than stock
IMS 2 turns out
1982 Suzuki GS850g

keltic cherokee

« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2009, 12:40:36 pm »
I must be too dense to do this simple task,,...followed the directions to the letter, the !@#$%^&*() map would not let me get to my area and enlarge it to place my marker...guess Oklahoma is still a part of the confederacy or something.

way too frustrating to mess with for long so i'm backing out now before I break something :-\

Offline ZanVooden

• I don't need no stinkin' title
  • Hot Shot
  • This was suppose to be a quick one month job...
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2009, 01:41:53 pm »
Representing Central Illinois. Am I really the only one in the Peoria Area?... I know it's south of Chicago, but there is more to the state of Illinois than Chicago...

Offline alltherightpills

• Expert
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2009, 05:56:52 am »
I grew up in P-town, if that is any consolation.
78 550K
77 550K (in pieces)
71 500K0 (in pieces)