Author Topic: Heavy Duty primary chains from M3...  (Read 22752 times)

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
Re: Heavy Duty primary chains from M3...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 02:54:26 pm »
Woah!  Nice.

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 03:19:24 pm »
Way cool! I did my part.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 03:23:26 pm »
Might have to get me one of those..... ;D

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 03:25:33 pm »
Might have to get me one of those..... ;D

Mick

Takes two.  :)
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 03:44:26 pm »
I'm surprised one of these parts companies doesn't affiliate with this site, they would be able to sell heaps of parts and probably offer a discount to forum members. I am a member of a great guitar forum where this happens......works for me.... ;D

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 05:49:58 pm »
Sounds like what the Dr. ordered Mike. Besides it only took forty years to source.

Offline mick750F

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 06:08:37 pm »
  Holy torque load Batman! The supply is "limited"...one of the greatest sales lines ever. I'd have to ask how limited...meaning do I have to act now...or limited to the first 5,000 people that ask about it. Seriously though...how limited? Are these rare NOS chains that been stashed away somewhere since the '70's or even if they are, is there something else out there comparable which would make them less "limited". I'm just asking...because I certainly don't know. Actually, I'm guessing that if Mr. Rieck has pointed these out that they must be something kinda special. ;) Might have to pony up for one....

Mike
'
Glosta, MA
It's not the heat...it's the humanity.

Offline scondon

• No way my run was THAT slow, must be an
  • Old Timer
  • Mmmm......tasty bugs
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 06:28:37 pm »
Buy me a set while yer at it, Mike  :-[ ;D
Give me..a frame to build a bike on, and my imagination will build upon that frame

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 06:37:22 pm »
I just bid on them, not that I think I need them, but was immediately outbid, so I guess someone really wants 'em! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 06:44:09 pm »
Buy me a set while yer at it, Mike  :-[ ;D
Of course Sean....it was my first reaction. ;)

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 07:16:56 pm »
Mike,

Let's go for the volume discount. Mark is really proud dollar wise of his stuff. I'll keep my ass puckered up waiting for an answer.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 10:53:34 pm »
I wonder if that's just Regina or Tsubaki simplex primary chain?  ::)
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 01:35:54 am »
I just bid on them, not that I think I need them, but was immediately outbid, so I guess someone really wants 'em! ;D

Hey Terry, that must have been me! But think there is a third party involved, I'm out. Like these chains at least they are stronger then the OEM.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 01:37:37 am by voxonda »
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Online SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 02:26:07 am »
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 02:44:44 am »
Hmmmm, very interesting that M3 have for a few years, been expounding the virtue of the honda goldwing drive conversion to use a hy-vo primary with an A crank, including heavy duty rubbers and sale of the hy-vo chains....and now we find it didn't actually work at all and failed as regularly as the standard chains?!?!?

Is it just me or has there really been a bit of selling the "emperor's new clothes" going on....? And if that is really the case.....how do you know that these *really* are the solution now?

Caveat emptor!
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 04:20:59 am »
A good salesman can sell ice cube trays to a eskimo.

Fear can sell anything. Just talk to a home alert system about fear... you might just buy one before he leaves.
If they can put fear in your mind about the "other" option then they might net more units sold.
more sold=more profit.

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 04:22:22 am »
And who is out there to refute his claim?

Whether he is lying or not... dunno.
never tried a A crank conversion in a F or K motor.

l8r

-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
    • Moonpie
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 05:18:57 am »
Well I should find out myself in the next few months whether it's true or not  :o
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 05:48:13 am »
Well I should find out myself in the next few months whether it's true or not  :o

I, for one, am very interested in the outcome of your endeavour! Think I keep the originals for now and hope they will last.
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2009, 05:54:20 am »
Hmmmm, very interesting that M3 have for a few years, been expounding the virtue of the honda goldwing drive conversion to use a hy-vo primary with an A crank, including heavy duty rubbers and sale of the hy-vo chains....and now we find it didn't actually work at all and failed as regularly as the standard chains?!?!?

Is it just me or has there really been a bit of selling the "emperor's new clothes" going on....? And if that is really the case.....how do you know that these *really* are the solution now?

Caveat emptor!
I was waiting for this post as I know you have invested a lot of time and money in the conversion. I wonder if the weight of the Hyvo chain is its undoing especially when loaded and unloaded rapidly....I'd imagine it can overwhelm the tensioner. I always thought the tensioner was the weak link in the conversion setup....not so much the chain. That being said these heavy duty chains certainly weigh more than the stock pieces....is it a good idea to beef up the tensioner for these units?
  I have no doubt these new chains are much stronger than the OEM pieces. It is like comparing an OEM cam chain to a Tsubaki or, even more so, an old RK chain. It does appear to be "backwards engineering". Spend all the time and effort to develop a different primary system only to return to the original setup but with improved parts. It is certainly not the first time it has happened that's for sure.
 Lord...I wouldn't worry about failure. I still believe the Hyvo set up is a much more stout means of power transfer than the OEM pieces. I would think M3 was using the old CR750 chains at one point so maybe that is more the comparative to the Hyvo. I would keep an eye on the tensioner unit. Anyway... after all your time and investment you're only going to be doing parade laps and such....right ;) ;) ;) ;D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 06:18:55 am by MRieck »

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2009, 06:28:04 am »

i was just thinking the same thing , if we knew who made it we could buy a roll between us !

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2009, 06:44:13 am »

i was just thinking the same thing , if we knew who made it we could buy a roll between us !
He said European so Regina is in the picture.

Offline City Boy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2009, 09:28:55 am »
Happy New Year folks.My view on this issue is that one must take the sellers word with a large grain of salt.I have the CR chains in my unit.They work fine.Having said that,I won't deny a breakage prob.but in all my years have not seen this with CR or stock chains.I have seen them so worn though that they have nearly ground their way through the cases,but didn't break!As to the hy-vo not liking hi rpm,what about the dohc units,including my 1100F,that routinely see higher revs than most sohc units?The real problem,as I see it,if in fact it is a "problem",is a lack of positive tension on the chain by the tensioner.The "fix is an adjuster bolt acting on the tensioner and a window of some sort to view when all slack has been removed.That's my rant for the day as I leave to shovel snow for the umteenth time since the new year.   Rock On
'52 Kiekhaefer Mercury Rocket Hurricane KG4H
'70 750/RC 1000 Original Owner
'83 1100F

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
    • Moonpie
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 09:34:42 am »
Lord...I wouldn't worry about failure. I still believe the Hyvo set up is a much more stout means of power transfer than the OEM pieces. I would think M3 was using the old CR750 chains at one point so maybe that is more the comparative to the Hyvo. I would keep an eye on the tensioner unit. Anyway... after all your time and investment you're only going to be doing parade laps and such....right ;) ;) ;) ;D
p-a-r-a-d-e....what's one of those then Mike? Actually I think I know - it's a magazine we have in the UK from the top shelf where young ladies are photographed in obviously very very hot conditions because they have to take all of their clothes off!  :D

The plan for my CR is to show her once finished and then race of course - that's what bikes are for aren't they!?

I wonder if M3 also used the beefed up tensioner system that was in the CR750 kit? I'm sure Mark tried all sorts of things. The kit tensioner spring was much higher rated than standard but of course like all of the 970 parts, totally impossible to find.

When fitting my tensioner we worked out that preloading the spring in the tensioner socket with three M8 washers stiffened the tensioner blade massively....so that's what I'm running....and of course the oil feed to pressurise the tensioner too.

If anything, this is the frustrating thing for anyone trying to build a CR750 replica - there's tons of knowledge out there, things have been tried over and over, BUT, there's just no repository for all of this information and those that have done the hard work seem very reluctant to share. I thought bikers were a kind of brotherhood until I came across this 'feature' of building a CR....

Don't get me wrong though - Mark is definitely one of the good guys and it's to our collective benefit that there are people like him willing to invest the time in trying things out, breaking stuff, fixing up a better solution and trying all over again.

I might talk to B&C Express in the UK about this chain. If it's european they will know what it is I'm sure....
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE