Author Topic: 76 750k project "back to life"  (Read 5138 times)

Offline Benny

76 750k project "back to life"
« on: March 12, 2009, 07:32:04 pm »
Allright, so i purchased a 76 cb750, it was in fairly good shape but i decided i wanted to turn it into a project bike, first thought was cafe but now i am thinking of bobbin it. It seems that i have come to the right place to get some of my questions asked so here i go, any answers or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

1. I have a Clymer manual for my bike but i need a more specific assembly manual for the engine

2. Does anyone know if there are aftermarket softail rear ends availiable for a 76 ( something that i can get a wider wheel and tire in)?

3. what do i need if i want to turn convert my engine to a 2 carb setup, i know i need a manifold (are they availiable and where if so) and what size carbs should i use?

4. what steps should i take to prep the engine for paint?
Newbie CB addict

Offline Benny

Re: 76 750k project "back to life"
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 09:19:01 pm »
Well, i posted the above questions about a week ago but still have not recieved any answers, so i am going to start my project thread, I bought this 76 750 for $600 bucks, it was in pretty good shape as you can see from the first picture. The only problem with the bike when i got it was that it wanted to jump into gear when idling so since i had to get to the tranny i figured why not rebuild the engine since i am going to have it apart so i decided i will do an 836cc kit cam and some other performance goodies. I found an inspiration picture and dont kill me for it i know it is an evo twin but i really like the look of the bike. Also i posted some pictures of the problem in the tranny below, as you can see the cogs on 1st gear are rounded, i am not sure how that happens but i found a replacement tranny so that is fixed and also i had a local small engine guy who in his prime used to race 750 hondas do a valve job on my head which i believe looks pretty good.
Newbie CB addict

Offline Johnny5

• Master
    • CB350F build thread
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 07:24:10 am »
That red CB750 is yours? Please tell me you're not going to cafe that bike!! Man, it's in great shape.

www.kerosenecycles.com
1971 CB350
1973 CB350F
2006 Harley Springer Classic

Offline DollarBill

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 07:55:04 am »
Ooh...I hate to see that one torn up too...there are plenty of old crappers to be cafed.  However, it is yours so do what you want with it.

I can't think of ever seeing any soft tail fenders made for a sohc but you could probably make one fit.  How wide of a tire do you want to go?  You can't get too wide without some modifications to either the frame, swingarm, or using offset sprockets.  I think a 140 might be the widest you can go without a lot of mods. 

There is a member here that uses a two carb setup and I think you can get the kits from cyclex
This link will help you a lot: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=743.0
This link will help you with your engine: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=369.0
This link will help you with manuals: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=426.0

Good luck and welcome aboard!
1975 CB750F Project Yellow Jacket - CBR600rr Swinger GSXR 600 Forks
1955 BMW R25/3, 1966 Honda CA160, 1975 CB400f, 1975 CB550, 1976 CB550

Offline Benny

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 07:49:22 pm »
Thanks, for the reply those links are going to be very usefull, as far as which size rear tire i am lookin to go 180 to 200 i just need to find a newer sportbike swingarm that will fit inbetween the frame.
Newbie CB addict

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 09:18:23 pm »
as far as which size rear tire i am lookin to go 180 to 200 i just need to find a newer sportbike swingarm that will fit inbetween the frame.

Lots of members can give technical explanations of why handling will suffer with a wider rear tire. That's pretty wide for one of these bikes, I've heard of a 150 fitting though.  But if you're going to a hardtail, add a jackshaft and go as wide as you please.   Be sure to post pics when you have it built.

Offline Benny

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 07:52:52 pm »
so here is a picture of the frame, yes it is just a plain jane stock frame

Has anyone tried to fit a Harley Davidson softail swingarm to one of these frames? i know with that i would be able to fit a 180  tire into the swingarm, i was just wondering if maybe ther are any other swingarms as well that people have fit in the stock frame that will take a 180 tire.

Thanks
Newbie CB addict

Offline rachet

• Hot Shot
  • '77 CB750 F2
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 08:54:52 pm »
Can't really help you with the swing arm questions, but I'm looking forward to your build.  You may need to machine up a new Swing arm (or have a shop do it) to meet your needs.

Good Luck!

Rach-
But I need Tacos!  I need them or I will explode!

Offline Benny

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 08:44:54 pm »
Well after losing interest and then getting back on the band wagon i decided that i was going to have a frame built. So i confided in Kate at Cycle One Manufacturing in OK and i am glad that i did, they were all a pleasure to work with always making sure i was going to get what i wanted. I would highly reccomend them to anyone thinking of building a frame.

So back to speed. I just recieved my frame via UPS today so like a kid on Christmas morning i had to put it all together for the first mock up.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/egGFUYy1YzljA1FEyePYVRgszMYzXmse5lQIkeRKocQ?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/cMcYMWiu3EAiswMFt2HpARgszMYzXmse5lQIkeRKocQ?feat=directlink

As you can see the frame turned out very well. I have just sent out the triple tree to have a 1 inch stem put in it and will be posting more pics soon.
Newbie CB addict

traveler

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 08:56:36 pm »
PM sent

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 04:41:31 am »
Well after losing interest and then getting back on the band wagon i decided that i was going to have a frame built. So i confided in Kate at Cycle One Manufacturing in OK and i am glad that i did, they were all a pleasure to work with always making sure i was going to get what i wanted. I would highly reccomend them to anyone thinking of building a frame.

So back to speed. I just recieved my frame via UPS today so like a kid on Christmas morning i had to put it all together for the first mock up.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/egGFUYy1YzljA1FEyePYVRgszMYzXmse5lQIkeRKocQ?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/cMcYMWiu3EAiswMFt2HpARgszMYzXmse5lQIkeRKocQ?feat=directlink

As you can see the frame turned out very well. I have just sent out the triple tree to have a 1 inch stem put in it and will be posting more pics soon.

Sweet.

I am of two camps -
1 - Don't cut up a really nice classic.
2 - It's your bike, do what you want with it.

I think you have pleased both camps as far as I am concerned.

That frame is sweet. I'll be watching to see this ride come together.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

traveler

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 11:35:19 am »
PM sent

Offline Benny

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 02:25:42 pm »
This thing is low and lean. Here is a picture so you can see just how low and aggressive the stance is on this thing.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qydqIF9UVfrYnYN1QiqbOhgszMYzXmse5lQIkeRKocQ?feat=directlink
Newbie CB addict