Author Topic: Connecting Rods  (Read 12596 times)

72cafe

Connecting Rods
« on: October 20, 2005, 04:53:52 am »
So I've picked up my first CB750 ever. I paid about $275 for it and it runs pretty well, but it has about 35000 miles on it. I am gonig to rebuild the entire engine to (nearly) new. The one question I have right now is this;

Is there a connecting rod on the market that is better than stock but not as pricey as Carrillos? I am not planning to make this bike a drag bike or anything, so I don't want to drop nearly $1000 on the rods alone. I am planning to bore it up to 836, but I don't see how that would call for the highest end rods on the market.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
Re: Connecting Rods
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 06:18:59 am »
 Falicon makes rods for the CB but they list for 225.00 each ( I can get them for a little less).. They are their "Knife" design. I run their older 2 piece steel rod with updated ARP bolts in my 915cc. You can have the OEM rods polished. balanced and shot peened too which will run you 60.00 to 70.00 per rod. The real weak part in the OEM rod are the bolts. If you could source out some ARP's and polish etc you'd have a good rod for 836cc. To be honest for the extra 25.00 a rod I'd get Carrillo's if I were in the market for rods. The Falicons are more than strong enough for anything you can put in the CB BUT Carrillo's are the best....period. Expect an 8 to 10 week wait for Carrillo's. Falicon can get a set to you in about 7 to 10 days(in general). I hope this helps.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 05:59:13 pm »
.....at the least F3 rod bolts.

Offline mikeb4

• Enthusiast
  • Building and riding and building ....
    • Mikeb4's website
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 06:07:27 pm »
1978 CB750K CR750 Replica
1995 CB1000F
1978 CB750K CR750 Replica
1994 Sportster Bobber
1977 CB750SS Cafe'
1999 ZRX

cd811

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 07:34:04 pm »
a friend of mine GAVE me a set a set of rods. he said they were some kind of "racing, high performance" rods. they "feel" light and strong. now you know as much about them as me. if they interest ya, let me know. :)

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 08:16:40 pm »
A trusted engine builder told me to avoid aluminum alloy rods. He had in his junk pile an exploded 750 motor with the stub of one poking out the side and at least one set of stretched rods that had destroyed valves to show me why he disliked them.
Maybe they're good and he's had bad luck? I don't know, but I know of no production or racing engine that has aluminum rods.
The advice I got was that if I couldn't afford Carillo or Falicon rods then the stock ones would be way better than alloy, stock rods can be reworked a bit to lighten and balance them before shotpeening.

Offline oldbiker

• Expert
  • I HATE RAIN
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 02:17:38 am »
Hi Bodi, the Triumph twins of the 1960-70's all had alloy connecting rods. I adapted one to run in my 250 single clinder Triumph racer but of course revs only ran to about 7000 then. Properly engineered, they are OK.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 04:29:31 am »
Hi Bodi, the Triumph twins of the 1960-70's all had alloy connecting rods. I adapted one to run in my 250 single clinder Triumph racer but of course revs only ran to about 7000 then. Properly engineered, they are OK.
That is a fact. They used steel big end caps though. All aluminum rods have a  finite service life and they stretch quite a bit. I have used the old RC Golden Rods as well as MTC's with no problems in other peoples engines. I prefer a good steel rod, or better yet titanium rod, in my personal engines. Carrillo's are often lighter than the OEM rod too.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 04:37:57 am by MRieck »

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 04:54:08 am »
true,an aluminum rod is not a put in and forget it rod.they must be maintained quite often.
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Online bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 08:12:21 am »
Yes oldtimer the Triumphs did have alloy rods and if you go back to the 500 there were no shells just whitemetal on the steel cap with the alloy rod running on the crankpin. Also the power output on the Triumph is WAY bellow that on the standard Honda, never mind a tuned one. so they aint stressed anywhere near
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline joeb

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2005, 08:38:02 am »
You can give this a try they have some pretty interesting stuff. http://www.cyclexchange.net/  look under engine parts.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2005, 10:28:12 am »
You can give this a try they have some pretty interesting stuff. http://www.cyclexchange.net/  look under engine parts.
I wouldn't pay 10.00 for those steel rods labeled CR750. They are total junk. Don't ask me how I know that.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2005, 12:13:06 pm »
How do you know that ??   ;D ;D ;D ;D
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2005, 01:46:57 pm »
How do you know that ??   ;D ;D ;D ;D
Because you're asking the question Sam I'll answer. I bought a set on ebay a while back and when I got them I could see how #$%*ty they were. One of the big end caps had 2 bearing holding slots cut into it! The big end on 2 rods had been initially made to big so when they honed them(kinda of) the raw casting was visible around the outside edges. The pieces were #$%*....plain and simple and I spent over 150.00 to purchase them. I've thought about making some wierd type of lamp out of them but every time I look at them I get sick. I packed them away so deep my kids won't find after I'm dead.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 01:51:13 pm by MRieck »

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2005, 02:23:37 pm »
I was only jokeing Mike but seeing you took the trouble to answer, can you not turn them into an ebay sucks sign with all your skills?
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2005, 02:52:02 pm »
I was only jokeing Mike but seeing you took the trouble to answer, can you not turn them into an ebay sucks sign with all your skills?
Now there is an idea Sam!! ;D

Offline Dragman836

• 0-115 mph. in 11.07 sec.
    • DragMan's MCParts
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 09:55:30 pm »
That is a fact. They used steel big end caps though. All aluminum rods have a  finite service life and they stretch quite a bit. I have used the old RC Golden Rods as well as MTC's with no problems in other peoples engines. I prefer a good steel rod, or better yet titanium rod, in my personal engines. Carrillo's are often lighter than the OEM rod too.
I got a set of alum. MTC rods for $100 , polished them and I was wondering if cryrogenicly treating these would greatly improve their life span and dependability and how much and who would do this?
"ADD NITRO" , Just Do It!

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2006, 10:37:50 pm »
A trusted engine builder told me to avoid aluminum alloy rods. He had in his junk pile an exploded 750 motor with the stub of one poking out the side and at least one set of stretched rods that had destroyed valves to show me why he disliked them.
Maybe they're good and he's had bad luck? I don't know, but I know of no production or racing engine that has aluminum rods.
The advice I got was that if I couldn't afford Carillo or Falicon rods then the stock ones would be way better than alloy, stock rods can be reworked a bit to lighten and balance them before shotpeening.

All top fuel motorcycles, the fastest in the world, use aluminum rods.

Jay

Offline cafe75-550

• Hot Shot
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 09:40:39 am »
Yes oldtimer the Triumphs did have alloy rods and if you go back to the 500 there were no shells just whitemetal on the steel cap with the alloy rod running on the crankpin. Also the power output on the Triumph is WAY bellow that on the standard Honda, never mind a tuned one. so they aint stressed anywhere near

Actually, the rods for the 650 Bonnie's are stressed more, considering that they put out 50 bhp and only have two cylinders to divide the power, while the 750 is at  75 bhp but with 4 cylinders, so the rods on the 650 are carrying 25bhp vs 18.75 .... Not to mention the longer stroke. And that doesn't get into the Triumph 750's...
New bike!
'07 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
Never enough projects!
'75 CB550 "Cafe", '76 CB550 parts bike
'64 Norton Atlas featherbed/'71 Triumph 750 Triple (Triton project)
'68 BSA Thunderbolt (frame and cases, project in the wings)
'57 Triumph Thunderbird (frame and mostly complete engine)

Offline scondon

• No way my run was THAT slow, must be an
  • Old Timer
  • Mmmm......tasty bugs
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 12:37:50 pm »
 Back to the original post, if you're planning on building a engine that will primarily be used for city/weekend riding, and not the race track, then I think the stock rods will suffice. I've got a 836 that I ride daily, usually in the 6000-9000rpm range, and it is holding up well after a year of riding. I recently had it Dyno'd and ran it up to 10,000rpm and nothing exploded, in fact it sounded like it could take a little more. Completely refurbished head w/heavy duty springs,of course.

The rods I'm using are the F3 rods that Mike mentioned and they look identical to earlier rods except for the longer bolts so I don't see why not just order the bolts/nuts and put them in your rods. I had Mike shotpeen,balance, and polish another set that is going in the engine I'm currently putting together. For more info check this thread:

http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=14934.0

It's easy enough to start throwing a lot of money for "performance this" and "performance that" when you build an overbore engine. Headwork,pistons,boring,crank and rod bearings,primary chains,cam chain,cam,maybe some better carbs and pods to increase the top end, etc... Before you know it you're at $2500 and that extra grand for some killer rods seems like a good deal to protect all the money invested so far. But if you're not planning on racing the bike and holding the rpm's above 9500 for long extended periods then,in my opinion, you probably don't need them.

Again, this is just my opinion and not some bit of fact backed up by years of "high powered" experience ;)
Give me..a frame to build a bike on, and my imagination will build upon that frame

Offline sparty

• I just play one on TV
  • Master
  • My engine is 100% stock... wink.
    • Gallery
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 03:48:13 pm »

It's easy enough to start throwing a lot of money for "performance this" and "performance that" when you build an overbore engine. Headwork,pistons,boring,crank and rod bearings,primary chains,cam chain,cam,maybe some better carbs and pods to increase the top end, etc... Before you know it you're at $2500 and that extra grand for some killer rods seems like a good deal to protect all the money invested so far.

Tell me about it.  The $$$ signs add up really quickly.  But my MRieck engine will be well worth it.  The way I look at it, I could be spending the money on useless stuff or a new $10K bike.  I figure for just under $6K I’ll have a killer motor and a hell of a good time.

Sparty
1972 CB750 K2 Cafe' Style

GO AWAY SNOW AND COLD!  Can you see the Hot Rod wants to run...
“That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.”

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 04:04:27 pm »
The Right combination goes a long way to making good power.

As does absolute precision on assembly.

I have a pedantic streak a mile long. Break out the burette and lets CC them combusion chambers  ;D

All the spark pugs pointing the same way?

Cam degreed to perfection?

All the valve spring tensions the same?

Hells bells is the timing cam and advance plate right?

I swear I could wear an engine out assembling, checking, disassembling, rechecking.....

Can't stand reassembling with out all new bearings and seals. Even the tranny ones.

I think I spent more time assembling my engine the all the rest of the bike.  :D
Stranger in a strange land

Offline sparty

• I just play one on TV
  • Master
  • My engine is 100% stock... wink.
    • Gallery
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 04:16:48 pm »
The Right combination goes a long way to making good power.

As does absolute precision on assembly.

I have a pedantic streak a mile long. Break out the burette and lets CC them combusion chambers  ;D

All the spark pugs pointing the same way?

Cam degreed to perfection?

All the valve spring tensions the same?

Hells bells is the timing cam and advance plate right?

I swear I could wear an engine out assembling, checking, disassembling, rechecking.....

Can't stand reassembling with out all new bearings and seals. Even the tranny ones.

I think I spent more time assembling my engine the all the rest of the bike.  :D

Better safe than sorry, plus it is fun getting greasy.  I feel the same way, I spend double or triple the time on simple projects because I want them to be perfect and problem free.  When I tackled my front brakes, I went overkill but i am glad that I did, they are squeel free and stop on a dime (well, a really really big dime), you know CB brakes :P

Sparty

1972 CB750 K2 Cafe' Style

GO AWAY SNOW AND COLD!  Can you see the Hot Rod wants to run...
“That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.”

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2006, 04:20:08 pm »
Ever notice that the smaller the person the worse the CB brakes are?  ::) ;D

I also believe there is a direct corellation between years spent with drums......... ;D
Stranger in a strange land

Offline Dragman836

• 0-115 mph. in 11.07 sec.
    • DragMan's MCParts
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2006, 04:43:09 pm »
I have about 10 sets of stock cast rods , what would ID the F3 rods vs k or other rods? Also I have a shot peen machine accross the street ( Pangborn ) I can get access to, so how long do the rods need to be blasted and how  do I protect the bearing area and piston pin hole?
"ADD NITRO" , Just Do It!