Author Topic: Foam Seat Question  (Read 3237 times)

Offline j-conn

• Hot Shot
  • Federico Fabrizi
Foam Seat Question
« on: May 21, 2009, 09:34:20 am »
Hi all,
So I am considering new ways to build a seat. I was wondering if I could get your guys thoughts on what I am thinking...

Basically taking high desity foam (like that of a bodyboard) layering up on top of base that would attach to frame and forming to desired shape. If you ever try and break a boogie board its alot harder than u think. You can almost fold those in half and they wont snap. I dont know if they even would...

Is there a kind of glue/epoxy that would bind well enough? What kind of glue would eat the foam up?

I already have thoughts of how to reinforce the stack as well. run bolts from base to top. Cut out half depth of top layer 6 inch length by 4 inch width with 4 bolts coming out at 4 corners and install plate with bolts to prevent issues if glue gives out. Cover plate back up with top layer of foam.

I imagine a heat cutting wand (don't know correct term) would work perfectly.

You could then just apolster the whole thing if desired... I am almost thinking if the foam is the right color I could just leave it as you could just use actual bodyboard for top layer that has water resistant rubber on top.

Thoughts?

Thx

1976 CB550
Member #7772

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
Re: Foam Seat Question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 10:30:42 am »
The mounting plate you describe would create quite a hard spot in the seat.  It's not necessary so long as you use an appropriate glue for the foam.  Do some googling.

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline j-conn

• Hot Shot
  • Federico Fabrizi
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 10:39:03 am »
Need to find that glue/foam combo...
1976 CB550
Member #7772

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 10:51:45 am »
I wonder if that spray can adhesive would work?  My son uses it when he makes car speaker boxes and glues thin carpet to the outside of the wood box. 
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline j-conn

• Hot Shot
  • Federico Fabrizi
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 10:54:45 am »
http://www.foamandupholstery.com/Open_Cell_Foam.htm
nothing that looks dense enough tho... 3 lb styrofoam but i dont think thats the poly in the bodyboards.

Sounds like i want DOW 300
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 11:24:08 am by j-conn »
1976 CB550
Member #7772

Offline Hinz

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 12:06:46 pm »
you need a closed cell foam like neoprene. stiff and it's waterproof (obviously since they use it for wetsuits) and you can get it up to 2" thick.

I ordered some 1/8" thick neoprene from here...
http://www.foamforyou.com/neoprene.htm

You can go to Home Depot and find a kneeling pad that they usually sell in the gardening department. Use that as the base and then wrap it with thinner foam. That's my plan for my XS650.
1976 CB750K
Has learned so far that..."complete" gaskets are never complete no matter where you get them, VHT Silver Case Paint is just as durable as painting your motor with chalk and cheap tire irons used with rim protectors are useless on 30 year old tires.

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 06:37:32 am »
That's a good link Hinz, if you click the button for 'Foam Accessories' scroll down almost halfway, there's a selection of spray adhesives for different types of foam.

Maybe a phone call will help you select the right one?

Offline cafeconleche

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 08:29:25 am »
someone else on the board mentioned it, but i ended up using a camping pad from Wlamart, it was $6.00.  I had to cut it up and layer it.  I used Gorilla glue to stick the layers together and then shaped the foam with a saw. Check my project thread, I have lots of pictures explaining the process

Offline cafeconleche

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 08:38:46 am »
http://www.foamandupholstery.com/Open_Cell_Foam.htm
nothing that looks dense enough tho... 3 lb styrofoam but i dont think thats the poly in the bodyboards.

Sounds like i want DOW 300

The link that Hinz posted has a section for motorcycle seat foam, it's located under high density foam.

Offline super pasty white guy

• I'm not really a
  • Expert
  • 1976 750 F
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 08:44:29 am »
I'm in the process of carving an entire seat out of 2" neoprene.  the stuff is really firm-  there's no sinking into it that's for sure.  Used the dow spray to glue it together and it's working quite well.

dave
Fruit don't talk, fruit just listens... and waits.

Offline j-conn

• Hot Shot
  • Federico Fabrizi
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 06:09:30 am »
All awesome info for sure...
I am gonna try something this weekend and ill be sure to doc it in my project thread. (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=52458.0)
peace
1976 CB550
Member #7772