Author Topic: STROKER project, keep your children away  (Read 33815 times)

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
Re: STROKER project, keep your children away
« Reply #100 on: December 10, 2009, 09:12:38 pm »
I took a look inside the engine, retightened the head. everything seemed fine.
the primary chain is a little bit on the loose side, to my surprise. i can move the chain 1cm up and down by hand. the chain had much more tension when new. I am hoping it will not lengthen much more in the future.

the mystery of the noise in the transmission is solved: there was a washer missing beneath 5th gear. why  ???

the cylinder does have some oil leaks. I gave devcon F a chance, hope it will help.

the next days I will try to do the repair on the broken case.

mec

hei mec

interesting numbers, the better torque was expected I guess, but there is also a limit to the engine size above which the bigger volume will just not pull more air through  the valves.

I wouldnt fight too much for bigger peak HP with such a big bore motor as I am sure that the area "under the graph" (which equals acceleration) will be better anyway due to the higher torque.

could be interesting to compare the two graphs, regardless of the friction to the wheel.

Offline mec

• Hot Shot
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2009, 01:53:09 pm »

hei mec

interesting numbers, the better torque was expected I guess, but there is also a limit to the engine size above which the bigger volume will just not pull more air through  the valves.

I wouldnt fight too much for bigger peak HP with such a big bore motor as I am sure that the area "under the graph" (which equals acceleration) will be better anyway due to the higher torque.

could be interesting to compare the two graphs, regardless of the friction to the wheel.

hello,

agree, the valves are pretty small. a GS1000 is in the 40mm range for the in-valves. really huge compared to my "bigger" 34.5mm valves.

it seems that the engine has reached its ceiling. bigger numbers are doable, but the effort will increase dramatically.

crankcase repair is done, some milling and welding (yes, as mentioned in previous posts, the honda cast is yunk². i have welded kawa cases, yamaha magnesium side covers, but the honda cases of this generation are /&&%§). the cylinder between cyl 1&2 and 3&4 has been sealed with devcon F. the engine is in the frame again and has done a 10minute test run. till now no oil leaks visible, hoping forever.

found something strange again: when you look at the picture with the prim chain, you can see the gear behind the clutch basket. this gear drives the kickstarter gear which drives the oil pump. BUT: the clutch basket gear is not inline with the kickstarter gear! it seems that honda is not of the opinion that the oilpump is an important thing :)
ok, less friction, good for a racing engine.

mec

pic1: stroker engine (green and black) dyno graphs in comparison to the 1000ccm engine (red)
pic2: lower case milling
pic3: after weld
pic4: prim chain and kickstarter gear
pi5: my girl friend helping mounting the engine
Honda Monkey
Takeuchi TB 070
Massey Ferguson

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2009, 08:24:44 pm »

hello,

agree, the valves are pretty small. a GS1000 is in the 40mm range for the in-valves. really huge compared to my "bigger" 34.5mm valves.

it seems that the engine has reached its ceiling. bigger numbers are doable, but the effort will increase dramatically.

[/quote]

At the time, todd henning was managing to get out of the CB450 twin (pushed out to 500 cc) something like 65 hp, so i guess that a 1000cc with 130hp is not out of the question.

but indeed, he had to re-angle all the valve guides and essentially redo the whole combustion chamber to get the bigger valves in. a lot of work in a twin, X2 work in a four!

but it is good to see the two graphs, it really proves all the theories about big bore effect, the torqu is up to 7000 but goes down faster from there.

BTW, its the first time I notice your leading axle fork! what is from? an 80's suzuki? 

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2009, 01:42:26 am »

BTW, its the first time I notice your leading axle fork! what is from? an 80's suzuki? 

Ha ha, I should have noticed them too TG (look like GSX Suzuki forks?) but I was too busy checking out Mec's girlfriend! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2009, 05:57:11 am »
Too busy checking out the girl friend to notice the oil cooled front brakes. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2009, 11:35:49 am »

Ha ha, I should have noticed them too TG (look like GSX Suzuki forks?) but I was too busy checking out Mec's girlfriend! ;D

sounds like you are more into rear ends.  ;)

Offline mec

• Hot Shot
« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2009, 11:54:12 am »

At the time, todd henning was managing to get out of the CB450 twin (pushed out to 500 cc) something like 65 hp, so i guess that a 1000cc with 130hp is not out of the question.

but indeed, he had to re-angle all the valve guides and essentially redo the whole combustion chamber to get the bigger valves in. a lot of work in a twin, X2 work in a four!

but it is good to see the two graphs, it really proves all the theories about big bore effect, the torqu is up to 7000 but goes down faster from there.

[/quote]

fork is from a ducati. it is a 38mm marzocchi, bougth from ebay and came with ultraligthweigth upper and lower magnesium forkclamps. worked fine, but had some chattering in the front end. a friend of mine did some improvements (cartrigde system?) to the internals and now everything is perfect.

a few days ago I received a 43mm cbr600f fork from ebay, belgium (for my next project). according to sellers description "everything 100% ok and straight".
both fork tubes bent, one heavily, both fork clamps bent. maybe in belgium there are rulers working very different from mine. oh no, its why these days we all have to buy a lot of expensive x-mas gifts nobody needs :)

mec
Honda Monkey
Takeuchi TB 070
Massey Ferguson

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2009, 04:13:01 am »
i would try get my money back, if you paid with paypal you can enter a dispute

Offline mec

• Hot Shot
« Reply #108 on: December 23, 2009, 12:08:08 pm »
i would try get my money back, if you paid with paypal you can enter a dispute

the seller has another negative feedback. the money I spent is an x-mas gift, hoping it makes him happy, poor guy.

did another dyno run. this time with more clearance between swingarm and rear tire :)
and with #3 bigger main jets.

the engine output is now 116 rear wheel hp at 8315rpm, torque is 109.8Nm at 7187rpm.
in summ 3.2hp and 6NM more than my 1000ccm engine.

I am feeling that there are some HPs hidden, but where? eventually the 315er cam is not the best choice for a "long" stroke engine.
one day I will know..........

mec

p.s.: there is a 99% chance that end of januar I will do some break in laps in cartagena. hoping the weather will be fine
Honda Monkey
Takeuchi TB 070
Massey Ferguson

Offline mec

• Hot Shot
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2010, 11:11:03 am »
back from cartagena (spain) and knowing that the community loves pics............

cartagena is a fantastic racetrack. turns, turns and turns. there is one straight, approx 400m long, thats all. 100hp are more than enough to have fun. it seemed that the KTM superduke drivers enjoyed the track most. the fastest however sitting on the brandnew BMW S1000RR, but most impressive the speed of IDM champ Jörg Teuchert on his Yam R1.

my stroker egli performed well. engine output is similar to my 1000ccm engine, maybe the stroker is a little bit stronger midrevs but driveability seems to be slightly behind. do not know why, eventually there is further work to do with carb jetting? but all i all I am very satisfied to have two race ready engines.

some comments to the pics:
we started in heavy snow, 27 hours traveltime for 2400km, unfortunately 2 days rain, but 1 and a half day sunny weather.
last pic a gsx1100 katana with 1340ccm and plus 150hp
Honda Monkey
Takeuchi TB 070
Massey Ferguson

Offline mec

• Hot Shot
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2010, 11:12:40 am »
some more
Honda Monkey
Takeuchi TB 070
Massey Ferguson

Offline mec

• Hot Shot
« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2010, 11:16:17 am »
most impressive for me this 4 stroke single, honda engine, maybe from a dominator 650?, frame 125ccm GP racer??
Honda Monkey
Takeuchi TB 070
Massey Ferguson

Offline tinyrobot

• Hot Shot
  • Mock it up before you Fock it up!
    • ChiVinMoto
« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2010, 12:24:55 pm »
Amazing work as always!  Though today I was impressed with your mini roller setup using what looks like a Makita grinder?

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2010, 02:56:21 pm »
Hei MEC, good to see that you are alive and kicking

Supermonos are indeed amazing, the bikes I would love to build and race if I was 20 cm shorter and 20 kg less...... (currently 1.90cm/90 kg :) )

Are you planning t do the DECCLA endurance race? Guys form my club say its great.

Cheers

TG

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2010, 03:19:43 pm »
As usual Mec....
I love your work.

A stroker, nice  8)

l8r

-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline tourmax

• Enthusiast
« Reply #115 on: May 08, 2022, 07:25:52 am »
Old thread, I'm just dropping a marker so I can find it again.
1989 FJ1200, 1983 Yamaha Venture (Vmax conversion), 1985 VF 750F Interceptor, 1982 CB650SC, 1988 Corvette convertible (Z52), 1983 Mustang GT, 2009 Mini Cooper Clubman.Couple more lying around but this is long enough already!