Author Topic: turbo charged 71 Honda 750  (Read 9807 times)

the glass man

turbo charged 71 Honda 750
« on: July 19, 2009, 06:52:23 am »
I have a Turbocharged 71 Honda 750,
      I live in the Florida Keys and the egine gets pretty hot when driving in towns, it has an added oil cooler. Can I get it to run cooler? The engine is worked over with Yoshimier equipment. Can anyone out there give me some advice.---Tony the glassman

Offline themotoworks

• addict
  • Enthusiast
    • roc city cafe racers
Re: turbo charged 71 Honda 750
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 06:53:16 am »
intercooler for the turbo?
www.roccitycafe.com <- my sideline turned living

Offline KCRSXTypeS

• Enthusiast
  • 1973 CB500
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 09:44:46 am »
I agree on the intercooler but maybe also utilize an intercooler sprayer.  Really easy to build.

Offline PxTx

• See sig for possible trade?
  • Enthusiast
  • Subs of Philly
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 10:24:46 am »
Do you have the E85 fuel down there?  I have seen some great tunes with E85 and turbo cars where the intake actually develops frost and the EGT are on par with gasoline.  E85 is just over $2 in PA, but there are only a few stations near me.  Range is not as good as gasoline, but could be a nice solution fo you.  What carbs are you running?

Offline scartail

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 11:15:41 am »
I think the guy is heating up "when driving in towns".

I think the intercooler will help keep intake temp down when he is beating on it (and alot of air flowing over the intercooler). For stop and go driving, it may not be the best bang.

Our air-cooled bikes have it bad. To bad we don't have radiator kits for our bikes.

Anyway, I'm just throwing an idea out there.
Can you put a fan on the oil cooler? Bigger oil cooler with fan? What about oil type/weight?

I live up in west palm beach, and it is getting too hot to ride during the days.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 11:19:37 am by scartail »
'89 Hawk GT, newly acquired, daily beater...
'76 CB550, was my daily beater... my cafe project...
'72 Yamaha R5, newly acquired project... donated to my buddy...
'67 Suzuki T20, still working on her too... Currently in pieces...

Offline NitroHunter

• Radical Street / Strip Turbo
  • Hot Shot
  • A man's motorcycle is a reflection of the man
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 08:48:20 pm »
Welcome to the forum, my turbo brother!
I'll go out on a limb here  ::) and guess we're talking about either an ATP or Mr. Turbo kit.

Since these both are draw through systems - the turbo sucks through the carb - the use of an intercooler is virtually impossible, as the atomized fuel would fall out of suspension and simply puddle in the heat exchanger.
In town the motor sees little load - and it's load (heat) that spools up the turbo. Boost = Intake manifold heat, but nowhere near as much as the motor makes just loping through traffic.

Some of the little things that can help: cooler spark plug heat range during this warm weather, verifying ignition timing and spark advancer working correctly, idle / mixture  not lean, and (most important to me): Is your fuel pump/regulator/filter/petcock in great condition?
All these things being good, I simply had to accept that my turbo bike runs hot. Run good 20w-50 wt. oil, and change it often. My bike would constantly see oil tank temps of 275+...

Glassman, we need to see some pics of your machine!

Robbie the NitroHunter                      Fuel Coupe Hired Gun                  NHRA T/F 640

DRAGBIKE USA XH/MB Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=127179.0;attach=332735
DRAGBIKE USA XH/SS Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=63940.0;attach=103300
Young mans glory days in the lanes: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=45685.0;attach=66341

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 08:59:33 pm »
Glassman, we need to see some pics of your machine!

Agreed! Don't see too many turbos...
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline JLeather

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 06:34:24 am »
Not only is an intercooler ineefective for a draw-thru, but it's unsafe.  I've heard that the atomized fuel in the intercooler can ignite from a backfire and actually blow the intercooler apart (nasty shrapnel, etc).  Bottom line is no intercooler for a draw-thru.

I for one would be thrilled to hear what's been done to the motor and how it rides on the street.  I'm still putting together a mostly-streetable turbo engine from an ATP kit as well and I'd like to know how the fuel consumption is, what carb you're running, what fuel pump/regulator, how it goes and stops, what ignition system and timing is on the bike, etc.

I'm 99% sure that's an ATP kit, and it's an early kit because it has the log-style manifold.  I've talked to Terry at Mr Turbo and he told me they didn't actually offer a CB750 "kit".  They did one for the 550, and they sold parts, but that setup there is likely ATP.

The ATP kit for the street was allegedly "bolt on and go".  I've got a few mags that talk about it and supposedly you didn't change anything, not even the ignition system or timing, for up to 4-5 pounds of boost.

The oil-cooler is definitely a good start.  If you wanna go through the trouble the best way to cool the bike would be water/meth injection.  There are some fairly small setups for the tuner crowd with integrated pumps and all.  It's a bit of extra plumbing, but not too bad since it's a single manifold anyway.  Might be more current draw than the CB is good for though.  I looked into them, but decided ultimately that it was just too much extra crap to carry along.

Another way to keep temps a bit better is more oil capacity.  A larger oil tank, or secondary reserve tank.  There was also back in the 70's a deeper pan for the 750's (not an auto pan, they don't fit the K's) that also had more fins on the inside.  That would help.  I'd imagine you can have a shop machine you a pan spacer and get another quart in the pan (with a longer pump pickup too of course) and that should help out.

Definitely check the timing and fuel mixture.  Lean mixtures make bikes run hot, and forced-induction aggravates it.  Also, the timing is going to be retarded somewhat because of the turbo.  It might be that someone has retarded it too far to make up for running crappy fuel.  That bike's gonna expect (and need) premium to keep the knocking down under boost.

NitroHunter is definitely more the expert on turbo SOHC's here, though.

Offline myhondas

• Not really such a
  • Expert
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 02:23:13 pm »
and a oil cooler will help.... I had one on my original 750 and never saw the bike overheat. depends on the size of the cooler coil whether or not it is effective.
1974 CB 750 K4 SHOWROOM
1974 CB 750 K4 IN PART-OUT PROCESS (my original bike)
1965 C100 CUB 50 (PIT BIKE)
1996 VF 750 CD daily rider
1983 VF 1100 V65 Magna in restoration process
SOHC# 5105 11228

Offline PxTx

• See sig for possible trade?
  • Enthusiast
  • Subs of Philly
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 04:57:40 pm »
Would you mind posting a pic?  I think it would help with answering your question.  Really sounds like a cool bike!

the glass man

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 07:03:03 pm »
Thanks alot for your ideas,
      I changed my oil, and used 40 wt. It gets really hot 90 when I rode in town. Also when not in 90 degrees and the engine is cold, it a good 5 min. to warm up get out on the rode, low end it seems that the plugs are fouling. Get down the rode one mile and it clears away.I think I will change the plugs.
      I had electronic ignition a log time and lots of trouble with it. If I rode inthe rain it would quit running. when it would dry up it would run again. So I had it removed, the company would not make good for it.
      I would like to add photos But I have not been successful I'l try again--Tony
I tried to post photo of bike 413 it's to large

Offline NitroHunter

• Radical Street / Strip Turbo
  • Hot Shot
  • A man's motorcycle is a reflection of the man
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 09:46:12 am »
I have taken the liberty of posting some of Tony's pics & info from an e-mail he sent to me:

"I bought my bike in '71, brand new, and had a great time with it.
About two years later I decided to go turbo, American Turbo Pac. In addition
to turbo, the engine was done up with yoshimura parts; pistons, valves, valve
springs, cam. I believe complete.
I have a boost gauge and it's set at 10lbs. Years ago I was able to pick
up a 75 Super Sport gauge assembly consol.
I drove it from N.Y. to Florida to Daytona races. I have lots of biking stories logged.
I live in the Florida Keys not far from Key West."
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 10:15:35 am by NitroHunter »
Robbie the NitroHunter                      Fuel Coupe Hired Gun                  NHRA T/F 640

DRAGBIKE USA XH/MB Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=127179.0;attach=332735
DRAGBIKE USA XH/SS Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=63940.0;attach=103300
Young mans glory days in the lanes: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=45685.0;attach=66341

Offline JLeather

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 11:05:03 am »
That's awesome that he's put that many street miles on it.  Makes me feel better about how much life I can expect out of the one I'm building.  I think I can see what might be part of the problem.  Yosh didn't make any turbo pistons that I'm aware of.  They're pistons were pretty high compression.  10 pounds of boost on top of a Yosh 823 kit would make for a really high compression motor.  probably has the timing set pretty far back to compensate, and retarding your timing too far will definitely make the motor try to run hot.

Glass Man, do you remember the pistons that went into the bike?  What's the timing set at as far as max advance?

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 05:55:39 pm »
Very cool! Love the photos, thanks!

Cheers
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline scartail

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 05:52:27 am »
What about numbers? Got any performance specs? Has it been on the dyno/strip?
'89 Hawk GT, newly acquired, daily beater...
'76 CB550, was my daily beater... my cafe project...
'72 Yamaha R5, newly acquired project... donated to my buddy...
'67 Suzuki T20, still working on her too... Currently in pieces...

Offline RoyT630turbo

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2021, 04:49:32 pm »
IF you've still got the bike, I like to  know what Yoshimura gear you have on the 750? and how much do you know about turbocharging? Not being rude. just to help the conversation.
RoyT630Turbo
New Zealand

Offline gpzkat

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2021, 05:24:33 pm »
Old thread but that's OK, some like to diss on people for resurrecting but info is info!  I have an '82 Suzuki GS1100E with a Mr Turbo kit that more than doubles the rear wheel HP, dyno is 190 on pump gas and low boost, there's a fair bit more in there. Mine has a gigantic oil cooler on it from Earl's, and temps never get above about 240 or so.  I will be adding a thermostat I think.  Since it was built from new by Don Vesco in '82, it was done properly and never misses a beat

Highest Bonneville speed was 184 MPH.  I have a bunch of sprockets, am using stock gearing currently, Over 7k it wheelies in every gear including 5th. A rev limiter would be welcome too as it just takes off like crazy. At 60, I'm a bit slow on the reflexes and keep things sedate because hits really hard and you have to pay attention.  Below that it rides about like my 79 GS1000 but with the cam it's not as smooth. I put a Mikuni HSR42 on there which is smallish but I was on a budget and it's a good street carb.

I've got a '73 CB750 that's stock and it's so docile I have to turn my internal CPU back a few notches. Would be cool to turbo it too.  If done right, turbos are  fun and streetable.

Offline RoyT630turbo

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2021, 06:15:16 pm »
HI all.
I've just joined - again - after losing all me email/log on data 10 years ago. I am keen to track down my original bike 1972 CB500/4
To anyone in NZ: it had plate 699SO which according to the Govt. doesn't exist past 1990ish. It was originally Gold 1972.  Spent some time as a 500/4. a short stint with ATP kit not very exciting so Graduated to a 630cc ( 63mm low compression pistons custom made)  Pretty impressive performance and amazing fuel consumption. Thirsty with the original ATP carb. a BENDIX with accelerator pump. 20 mpg and SUPER economical with a 2.5 inch SU carb off a TRIUMPH sports car i think.  Just threw it on because it fitted and was on the bench. This carb gave me 50 mpg at 70 mph average speed on one run. This was on a ride with hilly sections various corners and lots of 750 and 900 bikes to keep up with. It wasn't an economy run. more like a road race.
Eventually,  the lust for power won over handling and Underdog status and I transferred the ATP kit over onto a 750/RC900 kit,  Golden rods and all the sensible stuff. BUT STILL NO WASTE GATE.( The 500 ATP kit never had one, and My dad made up the manifolds for the 900 in a day and didn't have time to make a wastegate.
It went like stink. Never could ride it to potential in 1/4 mile; best time 11.89s @124 mph. still pretty decent for 1978 but not the best. Once had occasion to "race" a car through North Otago and wound out to 145 mph (233 kph) two up!!  The speedo was doing wild fluctuations but the rev counter was steady on an estimated 11,600 rpm ( NOT recommended for extended times - more than 10 seconds - ) with the extra tooth on the pinion I was get 12.5 mph per 1,000 rpm  so 145 was my best estimate. Boost was Somewhere around 14-16 lbs, but it was difficult to see the flimsy bracket and stay alive at the same time.
I was 21 at the time my wife (to be) 18.  Her comment - that seemed pretty fast ? Her comment after we ran out of gas, 10km short of the next town -- is unprintable.  It was quite thirsty at 100 + with the Bendix carb. and very difficult to ride smoothly through town.
back to MY old 500/630. It was sold by my dad in 1994 to someone in NZ - While I was tripping around the pacific and by that time had no turbo, a BLACK tank possibly still the GOLD side covers the left with a cut out for the turbo exhaust. I'd be surprised if the buyer knew it was a 630. Unless told. It had a few other semi cafe racer mods. twin discs probably a 4 into 1, not the original pipes shown in photo. May have had a bikini fairing. I'm sorry now but didn't care then My dad died in 2005.

Roy