Author Topic: Another Bike I'll Never Own  (Read 5701 times)

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
Another Bike I'll Never Own
« on: September 08, 2009, 05:43:57 pm »
First there was the Excelsior Board Tracker replica, now this. Of course it's an impeccable machine, of course it's really expensive, of course Jay Leno will add one to his stable.

On a completely unrelated matter I'm willing to be someone's boy toy if they are willing to be my sugar daddy.

I have expensive tastes.
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline Uncle Ernie

• Old Timer
Re: Another Bike I'll Never Own
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 06:22:14 pm »
Met a friend at the Pisgah Inn some time back and he rode his SS80.
Not to worry- they're way over-rated.

feel better?   ;D
Dude- your 8 layers are showing!

Offline Frankencake

• Yesssssss,
  • Master
  • "I like the old junk"
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 06:36:09 pm »
I take one look at that engine and think:  Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just pour a quart of oil on the ground once in a while rather than spread it over 200 miles?
Really though, They are beautiful bike but not that practical. 
Uhhm, Boytoy?  No thanks!
"Sure, if you don't want that bike in your backyard, I guess I'll take it."  "I'll probably just scrap it......"

Frankencake:  Brotherhood of the unemployed?  What's our secret handshake?

333:  Think "Shakeweight".

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 09:00:06 pm »
Quote from: Uncle Ernie
feel better?   ;D

thanks. next you'll say you slept with jennifer aniston and she was lousy.

Quote from: Cupcake Hunter
Uhhm, Boytoy?  No thanks!

hey... let's not be so hasty cupcake!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 09:09:14 pm by Ecosse »
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

Offline HavocTurbo

• Angry little bastard of an
  • Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 09:12:49 pm »
Paging Dr. Love..... Paging Doctor I-M-N Love.

First there was the Excelsior Board Tracker replica, now this. Of course it's an impeccable machine, of course it's really expensive, of course Jay Leno will add one to his stable.

On a completely unrelated matter I'm willing to be someone's boy toy if they are willing to be my sugar daddy.

I have expensive tastes.

'48 HD Panhead - Exxon Valdez
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
'78 Honda CB750K - Mavrik
'80 Yamaha XS850G - Kanibalistik
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 09:37:47 pm »
forever linked to one man.

"lawrence... lawrence of arabia... he's an english guy... he came to fight the turkish"

i should add this too. these guys chaps build and manufacture j.a.p. engines, like the one below.

"JAP 8/80 1000cc made between 1945-7, a methanol fuelled racing engine with 80x99 bore and stroke. It was first used in record breaking Brough Superiors and early Coopers...

...Ultimately they were used in numerous racing sidecars and sprint bikes."

« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 10:18:10 pm by Ecosse »
1974 CB550K     

Your 1%er name

Offline Frankencake

• Yesssssss,
  • Master
  • "I like the old junk"
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 07:58:01 am »
You seem to have a thing for twins.  None the less, non-asian twins.......  Are you lost or something?

I'm only razzing ya.  I have a secret thing for those pretty Matchless engines.  I also like certain iron head v-twins
"Sure, if you don't want that bike in your backyard, I guess I'll take it."  "I'll probably just scrap it......"

Frankencake:  Brotherhood of the unemployed?  What's our secret handshake?

333:  Think "Shakeweight".

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 06:35:47 pm »
You seem to have a thing for twins.  None the less, non-asian twins.......  Are you lost or something?

I'm only razzing ya.  I have a secret thing for those pretty Matchless engines.  I also like certain iron head v-twins

yeah i like twins. ::)  but i've always had a fascination for the archaic. call me a romantic... *sigh*

lost? a love for the olden stuff led me to sohc/4's! even though they're not all that old. previously, i was checking out a 1960 royal enfield (twin) and after that fell through i realized i woulda been in over my head financially, not to mention i had no facilities to dig into the inevitable rebuild.  

found a blog discussing JAP, and cost. a humorous humourous comment by a harley fan, too.

the picture is another of my (non human, non-sohc/4) fantasies.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 10:16:48 pm by Ecosse »
1974 CB550K     

Your 1%er name

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 08:22:26 pm »
I'm with you Ecosse !!  ;D   But I dream a little bigger !!   :o  :P

Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 09:07:10 pm »
You seem to have a thing for twins.  None the less, non-asian twins.......  Are you lost or something?

I'm only razzing ya.  I have a secret thing for those pretty Matchless engines.  I also like certain iron head v-twins

yeah i like twins. ::)  but i've always had a fascination for the archaic. call me a romantic... *sigh*

lost? a love for the olden stuff led me to sohc/4's! even though they're not all that old. previously, i was checking out a 1960 royal enfield (twin) and after that fell through i realized i woulda been in over my head financially, not to mention i had no facilities to dig into the inevitable rebuild. 

I hear ya Bill! Seems like SOME Bills think alike. 8) I too, have had dreams of having one of those Royal Enfield twins, mine being in the form of one of 3 different models (an Enfield with the Indian Name on it and called a Trail Blazer or another one called an Apache or a full blooded Enfield TT Interceptor (not too concerned about the year although I'd prefer about a 66'-67' model. I had the chance to ride one that belonged to a buddy and I was on a high that would not quit, except when I had to stop and get off of that bike! It was painted, what they called' Hi-Fi Blue! Man, THATY was cruising! ;)
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 11:35:43 pm »
i was checking out a 1960 royal enfield (twin)

I love the earlier twins, don't forget Matchless G45, G11 and G9 and the AJS twins, gorgeous bikes

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 12:00:44 am »
reading the latest 'motorcycle classics' and they have a bit about the new-new norton. this time it sounds like it's a keeper. should pick it up.

i can't believe it bill but the new royal enfields are efi! there's something about a brit bike built by someone who made firearms- bsa included. how cool is that?

blue' that's a... uh, big pair! got some info on it... or her?  ::)

"New" Bikes I'll Never Own... but dream of:

1) Kiwi Indian Bob Job

2) Excelsior Board Tracker Replica
                   (in blue)

3) Brough Superior (no matter what Uncle Ernie says  ;D)

4) John Mossey Egli-Vincent (it's only about $53k)

5) World Motorcycles Sandcast CB750 (hey, I'm not a total turncoat!)

1974 CB550K     

Your 1%er name

Offline HavocTurbo

• Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 09:02:53 am »
Since we are completely off topic and talking about all kinds of older bikes that are "out of reach"...

I came across something the other day. Single cylinder 2-stroke bike with a repainted tank that had indian emblazoned on the gas cap. Stamped to be more precise.

Ring any bells with anyone? I couldn't for the life of me find any other markings. Bike was half in boxes and half assembled.

I was thinking rebadged Enfield.... but I didn't have my trusty mental encyclopedia handy (been drinking heavily earlier that evening) and could not place the bike.

I'll see if I can take some pictures.
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 10:14:07 am »
the bigger question havoc is why ya didn't scoop it up! to hell with rational thought!!

::)

tis curious.   
1974 CB550K     

Your 1%er name

Offline HavocTurbo

• Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 11:13:54 am »
Well I wanted to be sure it was something rare and not just cobbled together. I've been had before. lol.

That and I'd have to do a complete rebuild and restore of a KZ550 to get it.... something I'm not sure I have the time or energy to do right now.
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline coolgoose

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 03:16:09 pm »

Not to side track the thread but Ecoose check this out!

This guy built his own V-Twin Royal Enfield

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2009/04/09/royal-enfield-v-twin-the-musket/

I know you meant Enfield Interceptor  :P

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 03:28:26 pm »
man i like the look of that coolgoose! i have an article from a way back on this.

and this is the actual bike i bid on... and quickly was out bid.  :-[ the other... how it once looked.
1974 CB550K     

Your 1%er name

Offline coolgoose

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 03:23:52 pm »
I agree with you on the looks Ecosse.

Notice the comment posted by Ian Drysdale (drysdalev8.com) about the Ankit's Enfield twin. He mentions that Ankit has started his project before Paul started building Carberry Enfield 1000 V-Twin. You need to scroll little more than half to find Ian's comment here! http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2009/04/09/royal-enfield-v-twin-the-musket/

I even read somewhere that Ankit is planning to start a build to order.  ;)

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 12:44:31 am »
I agree with you on the looks Ecosse.

Notice the comment posted by Ian Drysdale (drysdalev8.com) about the Ankit's Enfield twin. He mentions that Ankit has started his project before Paul started building Carberry Enfield 1000 V-Twin. You need to scroll little more than half to find Ian's comment here! http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2009/04/09/royal-enfield-v-twin-the-musket/

I even read somewhere that Ankit is planning to start a build to order.  ;)

that's beautiful bike and he should be very proud! i think i like it better than the others; he certainly has an aesthetic eye! sounds awesome.

edit: i found his website and on the "contact" page he mentions ordering. i wish him much success.

http://www.musketvtwin.com/index.html

« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 01:09:53 am by Ecosse »
1974 CB550K     

Your 1%er name

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 02:04:47 am »
if i could have ANY old twin, other than the vincent of course, i'd have to choose a crocker http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crocker_Motorcycles   . Wino Willie of the Boozefighters Motorcycle Club (the man Lee Marvins character in the wild one was based on) rode a heavily modified Crocker
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline Uncle Ernie

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2009, 07:31:38 am »
I think Crockers were the motorcycle equivalent of Bugatti- built one at a time for custom orders.  Hugely expensive, too.  (Still are, for that matter...)

So how come I'm not seeing any Moto Morini's or Guzzi's in here?
Dude- your 8 layers are showing!

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2009, 11:06:51 am »
So how come I'm not seeing any Moto Morini's or Guzzi's in here?

ahhh, those are just 'used' motorcycles.  ;D
1974 CB550K     

Your 1%er name

Offline coolgoose

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009, 11:20:12 am »
Bummer! I missed the site  :P

http://www.musketvtwin.com/index.html

Thanks Ecosse for pointing it to me. It would be interesting to know how much does one of those cost to order. I will try to contact him to get a price quote   :)

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2009, 11:28:47 am »
i forgot to include his youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/winsomniac
1974 CB550K     

Your 1%er name

Offline coolgoose

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 01:24:04 pm »
Ok you stop teasing me with these now lol!  :D