Author Topic: V&H 4-1 Exhaust Anyone Using This Pipe ?  (Read 9403 times)

Offline george

• Back To My Roots !
  • Hot Shot
  • K8 The Project
V&H 4-1 Exhaust Anyone Using This Pipe ?
« on: February 03, 2010, 05:17:11 am »
I have seen this at the Cycle X site , the price is certainly right, just curious if anyone is using it on an SOHC 750? It appears to be for the double cammers. I searched but can't find what mods are needed to the bike or the pipe to make it fit. I really like the look because there is no upsweep at the can, it looks great on bikes I have seen at the strip.

http://www.starcycle.com/productdetail.htm?productId=7833746&ez=Exhaust~q=fidaa121zz~r=bidaa1540zz~,Exhaust~q=fidaa121zz~r=bidaa1540zz~,Exhaust~q=fidaa121zz~r=bidaa1540zz~,Exhaust~q=fidaa121zz~r=bidaa1540zz~#493386

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-cb750-4-into1-exhaust-chopper-custom-cafe_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2ea5ea2fb6QQitemZ200352083894QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I did search this forum and found nothing on this particular exhaust
Thanks
Found this bike in completely stock condition in Feb. 08. Paid over twice what my new one cost 30 years ago. Am trying to re-create the look of the late 70's Drag Bike styling.More later. 4-2-10 It ain't stock any more and I have no idea what I am trying to create !

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
Re: V&H 4-1 Exhaust Anyone Using This Pipe ?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 05:38:51 am »
Very good quality, the two outer pipes just need to be prised apart to fit, I have one for my CB836 auto drag bike, not fitted yet.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline george

• Back To My Roots !
  • Hot Shot
  • K8 The Project
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 05:53:04 am »
Thanks Sam
Quick question, can I remove the exhaust mounting bolts on my K8 head and not use the finned collars, Just bolt this directly to the head ? I dont really care for the finned collars but like the flat mounting flanges using hex bolts.
Nice auto BTW have you dialed in a consistent ET yet ?
Found this bike in completely stock condition in Feb. 08. Paid over twice what my new one cost 30 years ago. Am trying to re-create the look of the late 70's Drag Bike styling.More later. 4-2-10 It ain't stock any more and I have no idea what I am trying to create !

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 06:15:21 am »
Thanks Sam
Quick question, can I remove the exhaust mounting bolts on my K8 head and not use the finned collars, Just bolt this directly to the head ? I dont really care for the finned collars but like the flat mounting flanges using hex bolts.
Yes
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 06:16:11 am »
It's in the States George, won't be ready untill later in the year.
If it's ready before, a member will do some testing and shake down runs before I go over in Novenber.
PM MRieck, he'll be able to tell you regarding the fitting to the head, he's doing the build.
This is Mikes profile.  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=profile;u=49

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 06:19:40 am »
Thanks Sam
Yes

Ya sneaked in before me Murphy. ;D ;D ;D ;D
And while your on, can you check if the auto oil filter is the same as the Ks, John said we need to run a cooler and the auto carries the oil in the motor. Thanks mate. 8) 8) 8)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 06:33:03 am »
Thanks Sam
Yes

I guess that saved you a PM George. :D :D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 07:07:29 am »
If its the Sidewinder, it wont work well on the street..turning right. If you want low + clearance, build a high pipe.. it works great!

The pipe linked to, require chassis mods, & has no baffle. and wont turn right well if its a sidewinder..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 07:13:44 am »
Damn, Valdosta is a right handed drag strip >:( >:( >:( >:( I'll have to be carefull turning off at the top ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline george

• Back To My Roots !
  • Hot Shot
  • K8 The Project
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 07:44:50 am »
I hear you 754, This Mac didn't turn too well to the right either, I got sideways at LoneStar Drag strip in Sealy , Tx. just doing a burnout, running struts with fork tubes dropped 2", virtually no ground clearance, the bike shot off the asphalt parking-pit area into the grass. It was only about a 2" drop but it smashed up the header real good, also caused leaks at the crush gaskets. Now I am running shocks with tubes back up.
I really like the looks of the V&H 4-1. Do you think it will interfere with the front wheel ? I can deal with the right turn problem now that I am wiser !

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 08:22:55 am »
I used to run 4-1. When I had a chance to buy back my high pipe off a bike I had sold, I jumped on it.. unequal length turbo head pipe, left exit, mated to a flange, then a short pipe to the sidecover, then a big megaphone angling down about 30 degrees.  It had been on a custom frame..

When I put it on a stock K frame, I cut off the sidestand mount, Then lowered my struts about 3 inches, it does not really corner well but, I can ride it on the street, frame is about 4 inches from ground at sidestand mount.

I stopped worrying about the unequal length header, with the lowering & high pipe, I picked up a couple tenths in the 1/4.
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 08:26:01 am »
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=65115.0;attach=103821;image

Looks cool George, what sort of times and terminals dose it turn?

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline george

• Back To My Roots !
  • Hot Shot
  • K8 The Project
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 09:26:03 am »
Sam this is a work in progress, I probably will do a little drag racing this year but I dont want to trash the bike. Last year it was run about 12 times both in the 1/4 and the 1/8. My times were pretty dismal(too old , poor reaction) but what a blast to run a piece of history! My times are very inconsistent,my worst 1/4 et : 14.26 @ 89.76  my best : 12.80 @108.5, but I must be honest, the 12.80 was piloted by an 18 yr old MX racer,who is awesome ! I can keep it in the min 13's pretty regular. On the 1/8 th track about 8.4 @ 88 mph and on this track (Houston Motosports) I was plagued with excessive wheel spin.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 11:46:02 pm »
Sam this is a work in progress, I probably will do a little drag racing this year but I dont want to trash the bike. Last year it was run about 12 times both in the 1/4 and the 1/8. My times were pretty dismal(too old , poor reaction) but what a blast to run a piece of history! My times are very inconsistent,my worst 1/4 et : 14.26 @ 89.76  my best : 12.80 @108.5, but I must be honest, the 12.80 was piloted by an 18 yr old MX racer,who is awesome ! I can keep it in the min 13's pretty regular. On the 1/8 th track about 8.4 @ 88 mph and on this track (Houston Motosports) I was plagued with excessive wheel spin.

My times were pretty dismal(too old , poor reaction) [/quote] I've got 10 years on ya, ya need practice ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bike in avatar ran mid 13s @ 93mph with stock motor. A warm 836 with 86bhp turned 12 dead at 117mph, 255lb rider.

Looking for 11s with the auto, a lot of good people behind it, motor should turn 94bhp but not sure of loss through the auto trans.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline george

• Back To My Roots !
  • Hot Shot
  • K8 The Project
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 04:27:48 am »
Ahhh Sam , you are stirring up memories of a mis-spent youth ! This is the 3rd K8 I have owned, I was 23, fresh back from military service, single, plenty of money, and not a lick of good sense. this bike lasted only about 1500- 2000 miles b-4 I trashed it and myself. Just was not ready for that kind of power, was used to a 900 Sporty and a Triumph 650 Tiger. Had broken bones but not broken spirit. 8)The insurance replaced the bike with a new K8 which I promptly decided to turn into a Kaw Killer.(I read all the bike rags while I was healing.)The local shop sent the engine to a builder, I swear I think it was a 911 or 912 RC motor, I do remember it had the mag(distributor?) bolted on the right side that said RC, 2 carbs (webers?)that were angled out with a mushroom like pair of filters, an RC 4-1 , struts, a 16" rear wheel (don't remember why)This thing ran like it was from Hell, didn't beat all the 900's but lots of got a dose of a bitter Honda pill! Now remember, I'm young,single , stupid and now nearly broke, there was no strip racing, it was all done at night way out in the boonies or on the main drag , we did not care !Sir what I would give to have that thing back!Well being single came to an end and so did my toy  :'( Hold on while I dry my eyes! I went without a bike until  the 90's then went the HD route, then in early 08 I found this one and re-started my love affair with the single cammers.
Sorry didn't mean to ramble, what was the question ?

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 08:33:55 am »
It was probably a 915cc. Bet it had good midrange response with the Webers, I like them..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline george

• Back To My Roots !
  • Hot Shot
  • K8 The Project
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 08:46:32 am »
Sure wish I had been able to keep up with pictures of that thing, but 2 marriages , 2 kids and nothing but a few Polaroids, long gone . If I remember right the whole cost of the build was only around 1 grand ! In 1980 I sold the bike for a whopping 550.00 !

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 08:54:39 am »
In 1982, I think I sold my Amen framed, slammed 836cc chopper.

The high pipes went with it, but I got to keep the Webers and motor, it was still fairly fresh..

It was a nice looking bike, got 2 K for it   :o
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 09:06:00 am »
George, check out the V&H sidwinder on Chads automatic on this link, it's the blue checkered one.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50847.275#top

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline george

• Back To My Roots !
  • Hot Shot
  • K8 The Project
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 09:13:30 am »
You know what they say--Hind sight is 20-20 ! I still remember the day my pregnant wife came into the bike shop looking for me, I was innocently tuning the Honda, She was yelling with all my buds watching, I remember exactly what she said : "GEORGIE IF YOU PUT ONE MORE DIME INTO THAT HORRIBLE THING YOU HAD BETTER LEARN HOW TO EAT IT AND SLEEP WITH IT!" I looked around the shop and said alright guys make me an offer, it was gone the next day ! That woman never rode on it, or any other bike for that matter, talk about a mis-matched couple!Should have left her and kept the bike! :D
Time to go finish my clubman install, been working on them since Christmas, cold in the garage.  BTW my current and last wife loves bikes, likes to ride, got pissed when I put the solo seat on it, she even goes to the track with me and is capable of warming it up properly , this one is a winner !!

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 09:20:07 am »
Get yourself across to Valdosta next month, get some practice in, only $50 to enter and $25 for temp AMA licence. We'll pit crew for you, you bring the beer. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline george

• Back To My Roots !
  • Hot Shot
  • K8 The Project
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 09:26:44 am »
That is awesome ! Exactly what I'm looking for. That Auto is awesome also, I've seen videos, very impressive. I am actually selling stock parts to help finance this pipe, I work as a contractor and work stopped Jan. 1.
Thanks Sam
George

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 10:26:18 am »
that pipe looks like it might cut lean angle to the right. it looks cool but on a street bike how pratical would it be?
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline george

• Back To My Roots !
  • Hot Shot
  • K8 The Project
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 10:44:06 am »
I still want one, might be kinda like dating a bi-polar alcoholic woman,  :o but I still want to run it, even though I have already smashed up my Mac !

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 10:52:20 am »
If its the Sidewinder, it wont work well on the street..turning right. If you want low + clearance, build a high pipe.. it works great!

High pipe !  Yea, just don't forget to add the turbocharger !!    ::)  :D :D ;D
Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !