Author Topic: My 1973 CB500K2 Adventure in refurbishing  (Read 18323 times)

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
  • What a Long strange trip it's been
Re: Another CB500 project think I'll call it Wharf Rat
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 07:15:19 pm »
Spent about 4 hours at the bone yard today trying to find a seat. Found one that matched the parts diagram and the measurements I took of the frame, hinge and lock locations so I bought it for 25 bucks, he threw in what looks to be a scrambler seat from the same era, got it home and low and behold it does not fit. Is about a half inch to skinny and an inch or two to short. Frustrating, after a couple of hours rummaging through a bunch of them they all start looking alike.  I think it may be from a 350 twin. Shucks, guess I will keep looking, I am bound to find a 73cb500 seat eventually. I'm about ready to make a seat pan out of sheet metal, foam and cover it with leather myself........ Speaking of BMW's here is a neat site http://bmwdean.com/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 07:18:57 pm by Jordan »

Offline JAG

• Expert
  • '74 CB750K, '72 CB500, '76 550K
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2010, 03:08:44 pm »
I hate to ask but if you come across a 71-76 750K seat for around that price, I'll give ya a lil extra for finding it and you can shipped it to me.. :D

Of course the best condition possible.

Thanks
Cafe Racing is mainly a matter of taste. It is an atavistic mentality, a peculiar mix of low style, high speed, pure dumbness, and overweening commitment to the Cafe Life and all its dangerous pleasures. I am a Cafe Racer myself, on some days - and it is one of my finest addictions. ~H. S. Thompson~

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2010, 05:00:52 pm »
The next time I go scavenging I'll see if I can find one. Most of his seats have been inside for years and pretty dried out. Not in the best of shape. Try an email to Grimm Cycle Salvage on ebay I know he had a few 750's in his yard, I think his shipping in the US is 25 or 30 bucks, I don't know about his prices though.

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2010, 04:08:25 pm »
Well yesterday I spent half a day trying to make the seats I bought fit and look decent, Blah, finally gave up and spent the rest of the day thinking about an alternative. Today I came up with one, bought a piece of aluminum and a piece of 1&1/2" wide L some nuts and bolts and set to work making my own seat pan. Since my other pseudo hobby/occasional moneymaker is leather work I foresee no problem firing up my Neels#5 and sewing up a proper leather seat. Here is a couple of pics of the pan and the L bracket I am bolting around the perimeter, still got aways to go with the cutout for the fender etc. I am going to use the existing hinge and lock mechanism and I have plenty of rubber bumpers and foam around the garage. The leather will be left natural and if I ever get good enough at painting I may go with British racing green and tan leather, a beautiful combination. I once had a Volvo P1800 like that and it was a beautiful sight.

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2010, 08:14:55 pm »
Today, once I got it together, I finished putting together the seat pan, now I need to make a few cuts to form it a little closer to the frame reinforce the sides after the cuts and bends also the hinge and lock mounting points, install some rubber bumpers then foam and cover it. Should keep me busy for awhile. With my luck, right after I finish it someone will give me a stock one that fits! LOL. Once I finish this bike and ride it for a season I am definitely going to find me another early 60's Beemer, for some reason I am drawn to those Earls Forks machines. 

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 02:15:21 am »
   Nice man, that's pretty cool!  That diamond plate's pretty heavy, are you going to lighten it at all?  And yes those P1800s are beautiful, regardless of color.  Shame that a lot of the ones I see are rustbuckets. 
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 07:24:19 am »
The diamond plate and L brackets are aluminum so weight is not a problem. But since it is all on one plane bending and cutting slots to get to bend without distorting too much is a bit of a brain teaser. I want to get it to flow with and sit a bit tighter to the frame.

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 12:08:49 pm »
   I hope you have some metal skills bud!  Maybe your faux wild boar can help you with that too  ;D

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2010, 08:23:50 pm »
Thats one of our rescue dogs, a wirehair Jack Russell "Buddy", Wonderful pup stubborn though, we are training him, problem is Jacks are usually smarter than the average human. Not much in the way of metal work, experience but I am not real hesitant to learn new stuff. I did get it to bend and fit pretty good today, gonna mount it and begin the foam process tomorrow.

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2010, 07:56:26 pm »
Lets try again, said file too big. I finally got the seatpan mounted, turned out alright and used the stock mounts so if I ever find a stock seat it will be an easy swap. Tomorrow after church I will begin the all important part, forming the foam and making the patterns to cut the leather. One of a kind when I get it done. If I had any welding skills I guess it would have been a lot simpler.

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2010, 08:00:58 pm »
One of these days I will start looking for a tank decal, I have in mind a grungy looking Rat ala Big Daddy Roth or beach party bingo,  in a leather jacket with a classic James Dean, or was it Marlon Brando, style hat, leaning against some wharf pilings and anchor line, smoking a cig in one paw and a bottle of Jack in the other. My minds eye also envisions a leather skirt around the base of the seat flowing with the frame to give the illusion of setting lower than it really is, with the perfunctory silver concho's (buffalo head nickels) of course.   
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 07:35:58 am by Jordan »

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2010, 02:57:56 pm »
Haven't been doing much lately, due to becoming a scoutmaster for a new troop and a lot of woodworking projects lately. I am still working on the leather for the seat, about half way there with the lacing, also building a 3'x7'x 24" platform to get the bike up off the cold concrete, my tired old self cannot sit or kneel for very long anymore. No photos yet, maybe in a few days.

Offline captaincrash80

• I better build something before I'm no longer considered a
  • Enthusiast
  • Member #4842
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2010, 03:33:23 pm »
I'm loving the seat man, may have to steal that idea  :P

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2010, 06:32:49 am »
Thanks, if you have a stock 500 seat I will trade ya! LOL. I found out after I did the cutting and bending that if I had heated the L channel to anneal it I could have bent it without kinking or cutting slots, as the process apparently softens the aluminum. Learned of that on a teardrop trailer forum, those are some interesting mostly home built camping trailers. Maybe after I finish the bike...could always use another project.

Offline GStarIndustries

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2010, 07:43:06 am »
Hey whats up buddy! nice project! I live in salt lake city also, about 20 mile south haha
Good to see some local bike on the forum! keep up the good work!

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2010, 08:04:46 pm »
Didn't think there was anyone local good to hear, This is my bike lift project just perched her on it today. It is 7'x3'x24" puts the filler neck of the tank right at eye level, now I can work on them without crawling around on the cold concrete!

Offline captaincrash80

• I better build something before I'm no longer considered a
  • Enthusiast
  • Member #4842
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2010, 08:59:45 pm »
Any chance you've got a dimensional drawing / parts list / etc for that table? That looks like exactly what I want to build, just don't have the $$ for materials yet

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2010, 08:05:13 am »
The plans were in my head other than a rough sketch sorry. I used a 7'x3'x3/4" piece of plywood, 4x4's and 2x4's. I trimmed the 2x4's to 3" wide and the 4x4's 3" square to make them look more like dimensional lumber rather than mass produced which has ugly rounded corners. I cut the now 3x3's to 24" in length and set them on the plywood and measured between them to get the length for the now 2x3's and added 1" on each end of them for a tenon. I laid out the mortises on the 3x3's so the 2x3's would be flush with the outside and top edges of the 3x3's, the lower 2x3's are flush with the outside edge and 4" from the floor, the two center cross pieces are centered on the inside face of the 3x3's. I then cut the tenons, bored the mortises and glued and screwed everything together. I added the (I) shaped center bracing after the main leg frame was put together as it was an unknown measurement until that time. Except no glue on the plywood which I screwed down about every 8" so it can be replaced as needed. As I was building I adjusted for minor mistakes like setting the saw without including the blade thickness for a tenon or two LOL. The whole thing took a couple of days to build. Ply was about 30.00 4x4's were about 8.00 ea. 2x4's were about 2.00 ea. 1 box of 1"1/2 screws 1 box of 2" screws, 1 bottle of wood glue a table saw, a miter saw, a chisel mortise machine, a drill and a bunch of clamps. I think that about covers it. It's my blessing/curse in life to be able to picture wood projects in my minds eye and just build them, I really wish it would carry over into mechanical things!   How's that for a rambling dissertation from a self proclaimed wood nut! LOL,  oh and I made the tenons 1" long but the mortises 1 1/8" deep to accommodate the glue without splitting the 3x3's.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 08:08:25 am by Jordan »

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2010, 08:40:49 am »
If it helps here is a scan of a doodle I did in planning it, some things changed as I went along. If I get motivated I will draw up something more detailed.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 08:43:05 am by Jordan »

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2010, 03:34:28 pm »
I was fixing my mower propulsion today and started looking at the rat longingly I then realized that a previous poster was right, the shop I bought the tires from mounted the rear one backwards at least it looks that way. The front has an arrow and the word rotation molded in and is pointing the right way but the rear only has an arrow and is pointing the wrong way. If I get to SLC anytime soon wrights cycle will be doing a little remount for me. Count down begins for the super bike race and concert as I just got my tickets in the mail, paddock area 5th row bleachers at Miller Motor Sports track I am hoping to get some closeup shots of the BMW machines.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 03:37:04 pm by Jordan »

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2010, 04:39:48 pm »
I noticed that real fast because I have the same model tire on mine  ;D

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2010, 03:07:28 pm »
Slowly progressing, I mounted a front wheel chock and a vise to my worktable, got some stainless brake lines made, mounted a vise on the table and removed the paint from the calipers, temporarily mounted on the wheel as I need to shorten the tubing find a grommet and a stock round master cylinder, as the one that came on the bike was a square one with the mirror mount at the wrong angle to be useful. I suspect the bars came off a newer bike. 

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2010, 07:43:04 pm »
I know, I know thats not the right foam to use for a seat. I just don't have the cash or a source for the real good stuff that can be shaped with a rasp. I do have the leather, though the lacing is taking forever and a day!

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2010, 02:21:40 pm »
Felt industrious so I stripped and painted a little, High Temp Ultra Satin Black Rustoleum.

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2010, 08:48:52 pm »
Well today got real industrious finished painting the topend and mounted the engine on a harbor freight 39.99 engine rack so I can clean it up for painting, Hi temp cast aluminum color, looking inside and turning things by hand and lo&behold I hear a piece of metal hit the floor! It was the missing piece of piston ring I have been looking for! You can see it on the plywood I put there to catch any oil dripps. I looked real good inside every nook and cranny with hi powered lights. And I may be able to get by without splitting the case.