Author Topic: Stock air box instal advice needed..  (Read 7030 times)

Offline jbonham

• Um, do you know where this goes.......?
Re: Stock air box instal advice needed..
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2010, 07:52:07 am »
I may be way off here or repeating something that I didn't see in the responses already posted. Have you tried unscrewing the airbox from the frame, connecting the rubber to the carbs then re-attaching the airbox to the frame. I had this same problem on my 750 and that was the process that I found that worked for me. Of course I adjusted the angles from the header rubber to make sure they were right and worked back from there by making sure the airbox rubber was angled correctly as well. Once I had them secured to the back of the carbs I had to put only slight pressure on the airbox to get the frame screws in so that the airbox was completely secure.

This is just the process I used and may not be correct but it worked for me. For reference I have a 1970 750K1 and your carbs look the same as mine as well as the airbox design but that may be true for several different models.
1971 CB750 K1
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1600

Offline MADCB400F

• My 74 CB750
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 10:00:30 am »
Hi, see the attached pic, it looks like you have the rubbers on backwards.

Offline Toxic

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 10:04:22 am »
Freakin brilliant

This seam as in one left behind during manufacturing.

With all the seams at the top and making sure they are angled down it looks like this

Then they do pop on.

Thanks for all the pics and advice, but I'm still pi$$ed at myself for not being able to figure it out. Man I found this tiny job to be the most frustrating.

sometimes it is what I think should be a simple 5 min job turns out to be a nighmare.

I am most appreciative.

Hopefully this thread will be of some use to someone else in the future.

Offline Toxic

• Expert
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2010, 10:08:40 am »
Hi, see the attached pic, it looks like you have the rubbers on backwards.

Maybe I'm not done, your pic looks way different than mine.

Your carbs are sitting where I think mine should be.

In my pic above, am I putting the wrong end of the intake rubber in the head?

Maybe I need to flip them end to end.  Reverse which end goes to the carb.

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 10:17:41 am »
You're actually looking good at this point. Button her up.

Offline Toxic

• Expert
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2010, 10:26:07 am »
You're actually looking good at this point. Button her up.

Awesome:

Offline jbonham

• Um, do you know where this goes.......?
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2010, 11:37:21 am »
Fire that puppy up!
1971 CB750 K1
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1600

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2010, 11:39:50 am »
Try it with forty year old rubbers and see how far you get ;D You're cheating with nice new, soft rubbers.

Is that crinkle paint or wrinkle paint on the frame?

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
  • Suffering from MDD - Mechanical Deficit Disorder
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2011, 03:40:35 pm »
I'm struggling on this same topic.  Help, before I cuss at the dog!

Here's the situation.  Cylinder to carb boots seem straight:

Here are the carbs installed on them:

The new airbox boots are all oriented correctly, based on this thread:

Put it all together, compress it toward the front of the bike as much as I can, and this is what I get:

Any ideas?  This is where I ended up two weeks ago, thought it was the airbox boots, so I ordered new ones, and now I'm right back in the same spot.  Any help would be much appreciated!

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2011, 03:53:09 pm »
I can't see from the pics.

Is there ANY gap between the front of the carbs and the forward rubber bits?  The flange shroud hides that portion.
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline Toxic

• Expert
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2011, 04:02:58 pm »
If the engine side of the carbs is not fitting flush in the intake rubbers like TT is asking then when you go to tilt the airbox forward the back of it will hit the frame tubes.

Is that what you are experiencing?

Take a look and report back

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2011, 04:53:57 pm »
TT, sorry for the poor orientation of the pics.  Toxic, thanks for the clarification.

So, I had to run an errand and starting thinking a 180 degree spin of the airbox boots would help my angle issue.  I did that upon returning home and . . . it worked!

I suppose now you'll tell this neophyte it's easier to hook up the throttle control cables prior to affixing the airbox?  Or, does it not matter?

Offline tmac

• Enthusiast
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2011, 05:58:00 pm »
Im no pro but the rubbers on your airbox look like they are at the wrong angle. There was a little flat on each of mine that I put facing down towards the ground and level with the back line of the upper airbox half, I had no problem. By the pic they look a little off. Try again !  Rotate the box rubbers until the seams are all even facing up. Patience Pal !! U'll get it !!

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2011, 07:29:27 pm »
Tmac, I agree mine are upside down vs. yours and Toxic's fix in this thread.  Mine are exactly opposite, but the correct way wouldn't allow them to line up.  Knowing my current situation is opposite what it's supposed to be, I think I'll take the airbox back off and try to use a ratcheted tie down around the back of the carbs and the frame.  In my build thread a member suggested that as a fix to get the carbs and cylinder-to-carb boots fully seated.  That may be my true issue.  Thanks for weighing in!

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2011, 07:02:55 am »
 In my build thread a member suggested that as a fix to get the carbs and cylinder-to-carb boots fully seated.  That may be my true issue.  Thanks for weighing in!

If you need to use a ratchet strap to get your carbs on you have bigger problems. If the rubber is good and orientated correctly the carbs will slip on easily. I am fairly sure that the factory did not assemble the carbs onto the rubbers using ratchet straps.

Dont compare your carbs to Toxics as he has an earlier setup and different carbs/rubbers. Instead get a comparison with same year/model and see what they have done. However if you have air-tight seals on the inlets and outlets then you are good to go.

Good luck and thanks for posting such clear photos.
Andy

« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 07:04:57 am by andy750 »
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350