Author Topic: Stuck Clutch  (Read 1868 times)

Sleepy

Stuck Clutch
« on: February 18, 2006, 06:59:56 pm »
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 05:51:15 pm by Sleepy »

Offline KCs76Cafe

• Hot Shot
  • Jackson Creek,NC..Deep in the stix of the TRIAD
Re: Stuck Clutch
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 08:09:33 pm »
My 76 750 K had set for a year and had the same problem. When I got it running good enough to try the gears I tried pulling the clutch and putting it in gear. It immediately stalled.

All I did was put it it a higher gear and rock it back and forth.....with the engine not running. It broke loose and seems to be doing fine........although Im sure it will need replacing. That cant be good for them.

Offline GroovieGhoulie

• Master
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 08:26:34 pm »
I've heard an old trick was to pull the clutch and kick the kickstarter over and over.  Sometimes the plates broke free, sometimes not.

Offline Bill Vaughan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 11:07:06 pm »
Very common to bikes stored for long periods.  My '75, which sat unused in a warehouse for 20+ years, had the same problem.   I did exactly what KC mentioned - put it in high gear and rocked it until it broke loose.  Took some time, but it worked.  I replaced the clutch pack a year or so later largely due to its age and mileage.
1972 Z50A
1973 ST90
1975 CL360
1971 CB450
1975 CB550
1978 FLH
2003 FLSTS
2006 FLHRSI

Offline quietlikeachurch

• You meet the nicest people...
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 11:37:28 pm »
Not sure how safe this is, but I unstuck my clutch with the bike on the centerstand. I started it in first gear, then pulled the clutch in and revved the engine while slowly applying the rear brake.  Four years later my clutch works fine, but I might just be lucky.

Good luck!
-Ian
'77 750F

seabird

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 01:21:18 am »
The "Clutch lever in and kick like h*ll" method worked for me - and mine was a new clutch assembly!    I have used the "in 3rd gear and rock it, man" also worked for me many years ago  when I was building a (dare I day this) Suzuli T200 for my No.1 Son's use.

Persistence pays off!!

Seabird

Offline byidesign

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 11:01:20 am »
If none of the above works ,you might try this. warm the bike {run it}to operating temp ,it will help expand the plates.shut down,and tie the clutch to the handlebar {bungee works well}. get on,start it, and roll fast enough to engage 1st gear, and putz up and down the road, in gear getting on the throttle, then
  backing off, {repeat several times} it should break free, this has worked for me on several differant bikes, I dont like to rock it backwards,because if your cam tensioner is loose, or worn
   you might skip a tooth with the chain...........I learned the hard way........
82CB650SC,80CM400

Offline rab1dwolf

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 05:04:31 pm »
My clutch didnt seem to be doing anything either.  I tried what is posted here but now it seems like its doing something just not all the way.  It feels like the clutch is only going halfway but the cable looks like its moving fine.  I'm searching the other threads now for more info.  any suggestions are welcomed tho
1982 cb650sc nighthawk.  the work never stops.

cd811

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 05:50:15 pm »
sorry guys but no little "tricks" will fix the problem...ya need to pull plates and clean...no big deal...short story...pull kicker off...3 screws and remove cover...remove cable end...with impact screwdriver, remove screws around cover...remove 4 bolts and springs...straighten tab on nut lock and remove nut...remove plates

somebody correct me if I forgot something ;D ;)