Author Topic: 77’ CB750F — swing arm, triple tree replacements ( MOD'S) ?  (Read 3606 times)

zzcoopzz

Any one know of any modern super bikes that have a swing arm or triple tree that can be moderately easily fitted to the 1977 CB750F?

I know that there are aftermarket parts that you can buy for LOADS of money, but what I am hoping for is a part that I can grab from a salvage yard that can be modded to fit the 750 frame. 

It will be a while before I do the front and rear end of the bike, I’m just curious to know what can be done and where to look.

Thanks for the help
coop
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 01:09:28 pm by zzcoopzz »

gerstle

Re: 77’ CB750F — swing arm, triple tree replacements?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 12:50:19 pm »
i've got an extra triple tree from a 78 (i tihnk?) 750 laying around if that's what you want.  I'm sure we could work out a deal easy enough - CB owners have gotta help their own out.

zzcoopzz

Re: 77’ CB750F — swing arm, triple tree replacements?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 01:08:49 pm »
I may be being a little naive this but here is what I am looking for.  I would like to put a front end off an late 90's or 00's model motorcycle (what ever make) that has more high performance parts. My front end is fine now, its actually perfect, but I am planning on turning my bike into something similar to this and am in the beginning fazes.

see how this bike has a more modern front end.  It would be great to be able to find a triple tree that fits right into the 750 frame, without having to cut the frame and weld a who new head onto it.

I guess my question is if anyone has any experience with this. 

thanks again for the offer with the front end :)

Coop

Offline cben750f0

• nothin draws attention like a classic bike!!
  • Master
  • '75 CB750F0 Gladstone NQLD OZ
Re: 77’ CB750F — swing arm, triple tree replacements ( MOD'S) ?
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 05:01:15 pm »
i like your idea, and found these two picks.... apparently these are early 90's cbr 600 parts...tripple clamps and wheels...peace
you are never to old, to act like a kid... be safe
funny thing,chasing someone down hill on a bike 30 years older than theirs..
he said \\\\\\\'it was like watching a 250kg unguided weapon getting stuck up you bum\\\\\\\ http://www.bikepics.com/members/trixtrem/

zzcoopzz

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 06:28:20 pm »
aahhhhhhhh!!  Now that is what I'm talkin about!  thanks for the images, and the info.

coop

Offline cben750f0

• Master
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 08:17:33 pm »
the guy that built it is called tim shutters... though cant find anything else out about him..... which is a shame, really like the concept..peace
he said \\\\\\\'it was like watching a 250kg unguided weapon getting stuck up you bum\\\\\\\ http://www.bikepics.com/members/trixtrem/

zzcoopzz

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 11:26:39 am »
it's a beautiful bike, doesn't look like much has been done to it, new exhaust, new front end, Pod filters.  I'd be curious to know what was going on in the engine.

I have to say, I'm not super into the ass end of the 77's.  I'm thinking I might shorten mine, and do some custom job of some sort...  it will probably remove about 10 pounds as well.

Coop

Offline cben750f0

• Master
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 04:48:09 pm »
mate just changing out the wheels with the alloys will take about 50kg out of the bloody beast!!!!! :P... you will have to watch out with makeing it too short,the more you change stuff the more you handleing will be affected... as it is, i would say that this bike would probablt out handle most stuff, simmply because it was designed for a much higher unsprunge weight....peace

Chris in Ramsey

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 05:48:38 pm »
here's some more of Tim's bike:   http://www.inct.net/~rob_eberle/tims_other1.htm

Offline cben750f0

• Master
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 06:58:22 pm »
chris you are a ledgend mate... thanks heaps...peace

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005, 10:57:40 pm »
Actually, the three spoke mags in the pics are quite heavy compared to wire spoke wheels, but have the advantage of modern rubber and far superior brakes. Personally I like wire wheels with alloy rims, but you can't run tubeless tires with conventional spoked rims. I just missed out on a pair of Italian Magnesium 3 spoke 18 inch rims which were both lighter and stronger (torsionally) than spoked wheels, and 18 inch rims look better on our old classics than 17's, they look a bit like skateboard wheels on a tonka truck.

The 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J had 18 inch 3 spoke wheels, 3 inch front and 4.5 inch rear, the forks were beefy (then) 41mm dia and the triple trees used a "pressed in" steering tube. Most of the CB750 steering tubes were welded in, but an engineer could swap them for very little cost. The swingarm will fit between the frame tubes, and all is required is the shock mounts welded on the rear forks and the needle roller bearings popped out and refitted with custom bronze swingarm bushes. I'm using an alloy 1981 GS1100S "Katana" swingarm in my special, it's about 2 inches longer than stock, but otherwise is a nice simple retro-fit. Cheers, Terry.  ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline neckyzips

• Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2005, 09:49:25 pm »
i have seen/heard that a late model gsxr600 front end will fit, what you have to do is press out your steering head bolt and press it in the tripple of the gsxr, it is an exact fit... so i am told... i would have done it but like the spoke wheels, though the gsxr brakes woud be nice...

qcextreme

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 05:29:35 am »
I have a 75 SuperSport, I was looking toi do the same thing what will work on my bike??