Author Topic: 1975 CB550K to Cafe Racer: first bike, first build. This could take a while...  (Read 5902 times)

Offline yodagruv

• i just ate, so i guess that makes me a
  • my first
Okay, folks, this is my first [street] bike, my first build and [nearly] my first post on here.  i'm gonna have to rely on you guys a lot since i am uninitiated in this context but am also wicked excited to get this going.  i figured my best bet is to document this process meticulously so that when i come around begging for help i have a better chance of getting it  :)

Here's the first chapter:

i bought this bike on ebay based on a gut reaction.  Rude persons may call that an "impulse buy" but i like to think it's really more like a sniper taking his time, measuring his breath, checking distance, wind, atmospheric conditions, carefully choosing the correct target and being able to pull the trigger at the first good opportunity.  Or i just went for it.

I had a little cash from selling a guitar and had just decided to start saving for a motorcycle but had NO idea what a decent non-Harley bike would cost.  Nothing against HD, but to meet my goal of paying cash and be able to get a Harley that would fit my style would cost me around eight grand and i didn't want to wait that long.  I've always love the vibe of a Triumph but it seemed like i was looking at around $4000 in that department which seemed a little more attainable but still a couple of years worth of saving down the road.

We had been having some discussions around our family about the idea that my son, who was about to turn 6, may be ready for a dirt bike and being that we are fans of Honda generally around here and fans of Honda bikes specifically i was looking regularly on ebay for a 50cc CRF or something like that within a reasonable distance of where we live in Midland, TX.

After a week or two of weeding through these auctions to see what Hondas were available i began to notice the SOHC4 bikes were pretty reasonable as project bikes go, and honestly, who couldn't love one of these things, especially if it were tweaked out as a Cafe Racer?  I stumbled across a no reserve auction for a CB550 cafe project that apparently never got underway.  Here are the photos from the auction:

auction description as follows:"Up for auction is a 1975 Honda cb550. The bike is not running at this time, though it was running strong when parked over 2 years ago. It is being sold as a cafe project and will include a 4into1 exhaust and a cafe fairing along with the other items shown in the photos. The tank is a repaint with one small dimple on the right side by the emblem. It is fairly clean inside and in good shape. The chrome has a good amount of surface rust which will need attention but installing the 4into1 will take care of a lot of that. The tires are in need of replacement and I will be including an extra rear wheel and rim to replace the one thats on there now which has a lot of rust on the spokes. The motor has oxidation on the cases. The seat is in ok shape but would look better if recovered.  The brakes were in good working order when parked. I bought the bike thru Ebay from a dealer in Ohio. The bike has a clear Ohio title. This bike is being sold as is where is without any warranty, implied or otherwise. Buyer is responsible for arranging shipping. Buyer must have a Paypal account and payment will be due thru Paypal or via certified cashiers check drawn on a U.S. bank or credit union within 7 days of the end of the auction. Foreign buyers must pay in cash. An immediate  non-refundable $250.00 deposit is due, thru Paypal, upon winning. Thanks for looking."

Here's the link to the auction, it'll only be available a couple more weeks: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130413656916&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

As you can see, it's a pretty clean, though not entirely original bike with only 13,000 miles on it, a perfect candidate for customizing in my opinion.  The owner had intended to make it a Ton Up and had a nice little Cafe Racer starter kit that he was selling as part of the deal along with the moto which included new side pans, a new faring/windscreen, a set of chrome clubman bars, a cleaner rear wheel and tire (the one on the bike was pretty crusty) and 4-into-1 COMPLETE EXHAUST!

Well, it just so happens that the town the bike is in is about two miles as the crow flies from the town my father-in-law lives in down around San Antonio (and from house-to-house it was only four miles from his place to the bike.)  i emailed the seller with a question or two and decided what i thought a decent price would be and gritted my teeth.

i bid on this little two-wheeler and wound up winning it for $670!  I'm pretty sure i couldn't have collected the included parts for less than that so i was very pleased.  I called my father-in-law and told him about my Honda and he agreed to pick it up and keep it at his place until i could get it back up to Midland, so everything has fallen into place really well.  In fact, since i paid for the bike through PayPal, the amount i spent earned me a $100 PayPal reward voucher which i used to get some more "free" parts (or you could count it as a $100 discount on the price of the bike!)

As of last Saturday the CB550 is at my father-in-law's waiting on me to bring her home, my wife finally knows about the bike ( :) ) and i have some parts on the way to get started with. I think i might have also made a new friend in Charlie, the former owner, who was a really nice, helpful, patient guy. 

i think i have a bit of a plan of action for this build.  i love the flat black vibe and think that i'll land somewhere within that territory for this bike, very little chrome for me on this one, please.  i have a feeling i'll not love the clubman bars so i'm going to get some drag bars and try those out.  The faring is cool but it may not make an appearance on this one, i want to explore a custom dual-headlight setup like you would find on a Speed Triple but that's going to be a challenge unless i do one of the el cheapo kits (that's a little Spanish lingo) i've seen on the net.  i intend to utilize the side panels for sure and got some UNI pod filters for the carbs.  The engine will eventually be very black- as much of it as i can get black will be black.  i realize i'm a noob, but that seat looks pretty unique to me in this day and age, i have looked at a zillion different seating options and have not seen another one like it, not even in photos of other CBs; i think i'm going to keep that seat and have i recovered in black leather, maybe perforated seating panels and smooth sides, possibly with some accent piping.  I'd love to get some new aluminum rims and spokes (black, of course) and relace with the original hubs but those Com-Stars i've seen around here would be pretty sick in flat black, too.  I'd sure love to get a little bit wider rubber on here but not on the original rim width.  Not sure how that's gonna go yet.  Carpy's got a cool fiberglass bobbed rear 750 fender he thinks will fit a 550 and i like his bobbed front fender, i am going to give those a shot.  The enormous rear tail light is so gone, going with LEDs on the sides instead.  Definitely wrapping the exhaust, not sure if i'll use that muffler yet.

I'm sure there's something i'm missing but i've only been thinking about this bike for three weeks. Here is my tactical plan bearing in mind i have yet to be within 200 miles of her and don't know for sure the full extent of her condition:

1- Get her running (good)- exhaust, tune-up, etc.
2- Electrics, tires, roadworthy; ready for inspection.  Riding!
3- Aesthetics: body, paint scheme, fenders, seat, etc. (this will take a while, i expect)
4- Wheels/suspension, etc.
5- Tweak the vibe
6- Possibly big bore kit? (scary, maybe i should wait until i have another bike to ride first in case this goes bad)

So, i'm up for tactical advice, technical advice, aesthetic suggestions, part sourcing advice and just the plain old benefit of your experience.  More info to follow and more photos for sure.

Offline fantino

• Hot Shot
Haha, they were always running strong before the PO parked them. Why did they park them then? ;-)

welcome to the forums, and to the insane pain/pleasure of working on these bikes. Any ideas on what's keeping this little beauty from running?

Either way, looks like a decent deal with all the extras!

Good plan of action, get the bike running nicely then worry about aesthetics and hopping it up. In my opinion, don't even bother with overboring the 500/550 until you've had some headwork and maybe a mild cam installed. From everything I've gleaned these bikes have plenty of extra power to uncover through these avenues, and need to breath better before they benefit from bigger bores.

Good luck with your project, can't wait to see what you do with it! (and don't get discouraged when things take longer and cost more than you expect them too, because they always do!)

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
Port the head, drop in a 650 cam, and keep the air box (ditch the pods). (Do a search for Pods vs. Air box - grab some pop corn - sit down and enjoy the read).

Looks like a great project you've got going there. And you're right, be meticulous and keep us updated on your progress. There are some ways to improve the sound on that MAC 4-into-1 exhaust you have.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline yodagruv

• my first
Thanks for posting, guys.  I haven't gotten down there yet to pick her up (probably going next Friday) so i haven't had a chance to piddle around with it yet.  The guy thinks it probably just needs the carbs cleaned up to get it running, sounded to me like he didn't want to mess with trying to get it running before he sold it. i got the impression it's just a project he never got rolling.  You can see a couple of his other bikes in the shed behind mine in the photos he took.

KB, i already read through the carb FAQ on here and was convinced to use a stock set of lungs but the problem is that the factory air intake system on this was removed before i bought it (before the PO bought it.)  Entirely.  i started looking around but i realized that i'd have to find every single tiny little part all the way down to the fasteners and, though i'd rather not even consider actually paying Honda for the parts (if they're still available) the cats who have SOHC4 intake parts on ebay don't even know what the parts numbers are for me to find out if they are the right ones.  i think i'm stuck with pods which means i am going to have to rejet and i have no clue how to decide which to use.

Offline yodagruv

• my first
okay, in regard to step one, "get it running," should i put the 4 into 1 on FIRST and then get it running or get it running and worry about exhaust later?  i assume if i get it running and then put on the 4 into 1 i might have to re-get it running because things changed.

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
yeah, I would recommend putting the 4-into-1 on first. A different exhaust may require jetting changes to the carbs, so while you're doing the work, might as well get it all done.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline yodagruv

• my first
Ok, got it to Midland, had a modest lookover and mechanically it's not too shabby. Well, it's shabby, but just. Copious photos to follow.

http://gallery.me.com/yodagruv/100002/In%20the%20shop

Offline yodagruv

• my first

Spent a little quality time today.  Removed the original exhaust:

Changed a couple of tires... :

... which went OK for a first timer.  Managed to puncture a tube i just got.  In two places.  This is not as easy as changing a bike tire after all.  i did remember to changed the rubber strips, though.  This thing had Taiwanese Cheng Shins on it:

Rear rim was pretty surface-rusty inside around the nipples.  This is the front rim:

Is it possible this is the original tube (or at least an oldie?)  Bridgestone, made in Japan:

Oil looked alright, i think:

Shouldn't there be some sort of pin in this?:

It seems this is the worst of the rust on the frame:

Anybody have a good method for rust removal?:

The chain is sooooo rusty and wicked saggy, may need replaced:

i see now why this full stand gets removed a lot.

The front brake lever is nasty:

The brake and clutch levers are really stiff feeling, way stiffer than any more modern bike i've ever been on, is that normal?

You'll like this:

Here's the tank.  A little bit of surface rust:

Master cylinder reservoir. Fluid's kinda opaque:

i guess it used to be green:

Tank "paint job" is horrible.  i shudder to think of the amount of Bondo i might uncovere here:

Someone did me the courtesy of shearing off the bleeder valve... :

... probably whoever was driving this around The Ohio State University in 2001:

Is this an ignition cylinder mounting position?:

No OEM airbox, of course:

This look okay?

Fun with JB Weld:

Here's where i left her:

i would love if you guys would look it over with me in the gallery and tell me if you see anything that's jacked up, needs immediate attention, etc.  The photos are pretty high resolution if you click on them all the way in.
http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm3/yodagruv/CB550/

i hope to get a chance to go over the electrics and look into the reason it's not running real soon (when i have a decent chunk of time and my father in law's help.)  Probably start pulling off the butt ugly lamps next in the meantime.

traveler

Get a stock airbox for it.

Rust on wheels?  Steel wool, and wadding compound like Nevr Dull...with a few clean shop rags and elbow grease.

~Joe

Offline yodagruv

• my first
It's ALIVE!

Replaced the battery, put on the 4 into 1 today and it fired right up!

Running rough, though; old, old gas in the tank, too.  Honestly didn't expect it to fire.  All the cylinders are heating up, i think either my chain is twisted or i have a bent sprocket somewhere.  Puttered around the parking lots at work, shifts great, feels pretty good, had to keep the throttle up to keep it running.

Anybody know how to pull the baffle on a Mac muffler?

Offline yodagruv

• my first
Re: 1975 CB550K to Cafe Racer: first bike, first build. This could take a while
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 09:35:25 pm »
A buddy and i got the front brake working today!  The piston was stupid crusty but a little elbow grease and a lot of chemicals did the trick.

This old girl doesn't want to idle right for anything, i suspect the carbs are out of sync and probably gummy since they are probably in need of a good cleaning but i think the bowl gaskets are shot (take a look at the photos of the carbs after running for a little bit, they are drippy, tell me if i'm right.)  i suppose it makes no sense to clean the carbs without rebuild kits so i guess i will have to order those first.

The front forks feel soft to me, they rebound and everything but they feel squishy.  Is that the stock feel?

My lighting is weird, my father in law and myself are going to look into that tomorrow.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 09:47:56 pm by yodagruv »

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
not to familure with the 550's but I would say at MINIMUM take apart emultion tubes and clean everything out of the carbs.  Also ditch that gas if the 550 is the same gas wise its designed to run on high octain. 94 I think.
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Sent from my Texas Instruments TI99/4A Computer

Offline Anti-Johnny

• 75 cb750k
  • Hot Shot
  • Poser
hey man, how is your progress going on the bike. I am new to them as well and Midland is my hometown. I came across your introduction post and it got me excited for some reason. I hope everything is working out on the bike.
www.southaustinmotorcycles.com
 Come by and wrench and have a cold one while enjoying the wide array of rides and riders in Austin!

music

Offline Aaron Richard

• Enthusiast
  • 1975 CB550 cafe
    • shop
IF you are planning on running those uni filters, you will not get the bike running right without rejetting to bigger jets and needle adjustments....Buy the rebuild kits but, buy bigger main jets as well. I'm running 110's in mine with the needle setting  at its highest and runs well with the uni pod filters. if you want a bike that you don't have to mess with adjusting every few rides, I would find a stock air box and drop a K&N or Uni replacement filter in it. Will be much easier to tune..

Offline yodagruv

• my first
This thread is coming back to life... had some life happen to me but now the project is definitely back on.  more to follow...

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
I will be following as I am starting my 550F rebuild too. I noticed in your video you were able to start you bike with the kill switch on "off" may want to look into that... Also in your one pic, your chain was contacted by your center stand.... I had this problem as my wife dropped the bike. I removed it yesterday.. May want to look into that.. As mentioned earlier remove the old gas and get a stock air box.

I also heard on the video some ticking... Do a valve adjustment. that should help her somewhat
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 07:38:04 pm by Tews19 »
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.