Author Topic: Smokin' Jack CB750F Build, update and pics 11/27/11  (Read 24044 times)

Offline hapakev

• Your Standard
  • Hot Shot
Re: Smokin' Jack (formerly CB750F Cafe'ish Build)
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2011, 01:40:41 pm »
I got the wheel pretty close, but theres still a wobble and i did notice the tire was a little off when the rim was on, so I may need to check the seating of the bead.  My neighbor has a spoke tensioner/torque thing that he said I could borrow, that may help with the process.

Seanbarney - can you explain what I'm looking for or how to reseat it if needed?

Immortal - I got the carbs pretty close with my crappy ebay carb sync gauge set.  I installed a new AGM battery and hory sh!t, my bike absolutely came to life.  I had the timing, valve gaps and carbs pretty close before the new battery.  It takes off like a rocket and pulls hard begging for more.  I am still in break in period, so I'm taking it easy but it's a blast to ride now.  I just need to get the wheels sorted out.

Smoking Jack
1978 CB750F(ish)

"Keep moving forward, until you can no longer move" KP

Offline immortal

• Enthusiast
    • 1976 CB750F "Pegasus bike"
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2011, 03:12:36 pm »
That's awesome!. I'm envious!

Mine hasn't fired up yet, I'm working on the double discs up front right now, need new neutral sending switch, a starter clutch install and figure out my carb leak along with fuel line layout and breather hoses.  All in all very nearly there.

I saw this on Joker machine and thought of your bike. Lot of money but a real nice clamp providing dash lights too. May not be your style but it was the way I was going to go at one point.

http://www.jokermachine.com/itemcafe2004.asp?ItemID=785&CategoryID=102&Placeholder=
Sometimes...the hard thing and the right thing are the same thing!

1976 CB750F "Pegasus Bike"

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80492.0

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2011, 05:28:20 pm »

Seanbarney - can you explain what I'm looking for or how to reseat it if needed?
I would try to find some kind of line on your tire and compare it's distance to the lip of the rim as you go around...also look for any spot where the bead portion of the tire is peeping out of the rim.  As for re-seating it, I'm not sure how to do it without taking the tire off with the proper equipement.  I've lost a couple wresting matches with those giant rubber donuts!
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline LostSoul86

• KMA Sales, Inc.
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2011, 11:04:15 am »

I saw this on Joker machine and thought of your bike. Lot of money but a real nice clamp providing dash lights too. May not be your style but it was the way I was going to go at one point.

http://www.jokermachine.com/itemcafe2004.asp?ItemID=785&CategoryID=102&Placeholder=

That clamp is for 1" bars btw, so you'd have to swap to Harley controls or the like.
Andrew- 1978 CB750F Super Sport "Lucky 13"

Offline hapakev

• Your Standard
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2011, 12:15:27 pm »
Yeah, i noticed that.  Its a nice little package, but I'm gonna end up shaving the clamps due to running those Effign Bad@$$ Clip-ons ;)
Smoking Jack
1978 CB750F(ish)

Offline immortal

• Enthusiast
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2011, 01:42:05 pm »
Its never too late to switch to Norman Hyde "M" bars. lol   I'm 44 now, I cant do those clips ons anymore they are a real back breaker.  Just trying to complicate your life a bit.  ;)

Offline hapakev

• Your Standard
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2011, 06:50:27 am »
haha, Yeah I feel like I need to work out after riding it around a bit.  They are pretty tough on the arms (and back), but you cant have pretty without a little pain right?

Next I need to figure a mount for my rearsets, so I'm not stretched out like an Orange County Chopper.  That may help.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 10:17:31 am by hapakev »
Smoking Jack
1978 CB750F(ish)

Offline immortal

• Enthusiast
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2011, 12:24:16 pm »
Hey Kev, Just checking in on your progress. Do you have her all dialed in yet? or are you taking some time out?

Offline hapakev

• Your Standard
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2011, 08:58:39 am »
I haven't been posting, but I have been doing some tweaking to the project.  I moved the clip-ons above the top triple, due to the fact that I dont have my rearset mounts figured out yet and I needed a little more comfortable ride for now.  Its pretty close to dialed, from the first time I went through it.  I need to take a look at the timing, but this thing is a Rocket Ship!

I tightened up the steering bearings while i was moving the clip-ons, but I still haven't gone through the truing of the wheels a second time.  Having a 1.5 year old makes it hard to get into the garage, but i am going to try to get the wheels sorted out this weekend.  I am also waiting on some parts to come in for a couple little projects on the bike.  I will post some progress pics when they are done  ;)
Smoking Jack
1978 CB750F(ish)

Offline Davidov

• Hot Shot
  • 1978 CB750 F3
    • My CB750F project log
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2011, 06:58:13 am »
Where did you get your blade-style fuse block/holder?
-David

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2011, 08:12:00 am »
Where did you get your blade-style fuse block/holder?

Contact HondaMan on here. he makes them and many other great upgrade products.
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline hapakev

• Your Standard
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2011, 11:47:57 am »
I made mine, just found one on ebay and cut the plug/wires from my old one.  Homdaman does make them, so you can retain your old one or sell it.
Smoking Jack
1978 CB750F(ish)

Offline hapakev

• Your Standard
  • Hot Shot
Re: Smokin' Jack Build update and pics 11/27/11
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2011, 03:04:48 pm »
Got some more work done on the Jack.  I picked up an early style Mac from a forum member, so I dont have to use 3+ exhaust gaskets with my 77/78 style header on my 73 engine.  I also started fab work on my rearset mounts.

I installed my Hondaman ignition and gapped my points.  I installed it in the tool tray and drilled a hole to run the wires down to the harness.

I also ordered and installed a Homdaman headlight relay so I could install my new right hand switch (Off/Lo/Hi) and halogen headlight.

Out of the Darkness, come the light!

I'm pleased to say that it is running very well.  I will likely be switching over the rims to the GL1000 Alloys.  The front wheel is already whole, trued and ready to go.  I need to lace the GL rear rim to the 75F rear hub, and get a new rear tire.  Then maybe I will be done with mock-up  ::)  Then it will be onto paint, dont tell the wife  :-X
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 03:08:49 pm by hapakev »
Smoking Jack
1978 CB750F(ish)

Offline immortal

• Enthusiast
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2011, 07:25:41 pm »
Looking good, did you check to see if your alternator can handle the Halogen if you are using it as a running light?
Your probably OK but Hondaman did tell me I might have a problem on my 76F using my Halogen as a running light if "in traffic" so I switched out my turn signals to LED and my clock face lights out to LED strips to reduce load...with that said I have a Tomtom Rider 1 GPS I wanted to run and charge on the road too. I'm sure you already worked on all that, it just caught me off guard on my project as I never dreamed the charging system was as weak as they are.

Looking good, your getting real close...me, I'm still working out the bugs, namely a couple of oil drips to fix, to needing a larger master cylinder for the dual discs and just installed an Ape clutch and now rebuilding the starter clutch mechanism mechanism....so close!

Offline hapakev

• Your Standard
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2011, 10:12:01 pm »
... I have a Tomtom Rider 1 GPS I wanted to run and charge on the road too. I'm sure you already worked on all that, it just caught me off guard on my project as I never dreamed the charging system was as weak as they are.

Looking good, your getting real close...me, I'm still working out the bugs, namely a couple of oil drips to fix, to needing a larger master cylinder for the dual discs and just installed an Ape clutch and now rebuilding the starter clutch mechanism mechanism....so close!

I installed an early style right switch that has an off/lo/hi selector for the headlight, so I can decide when I want the headlight on.  I also ran a seperate wire and fuse for the headlight.

I cant wait to see that GPS installed.  Keep at it, your bike is too beautiful not to ride it!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 08:44:17 am by hapakev »
Smoking Jack
1978 CB750F(ish)

Offline strtlegal

« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2011, 07:51:49 am »
Looking pretty nice, congrats!

Offline hapakev

• Your Standard
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2011, 08:42:27 am »
Looking pretty nice, congrats!

Thanks.  Its a work in progress.
Smoking Jack
1978 CB750F(ish)

Offline hapakev

• Your Standard
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2011, 08:43:23 am »
Smoking Jack
1978 CB750F(ish)

Offline immortal

• Enthusiast
Re: Smokin' Jack CB750F Build, update and pics 11/27/11
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2012, 12:56:48 pm »
Hey Kev,

Hows the bike coming along?..and did you just purchase a vintage breadbox?..lol. You beat me to it but I'm glad you got it. I had a tuning problem I could not figure out, "running rich on two cylinders" and slight stumble in first quarter throttle. Finally with Hondaman's help I figured out it was my Pod filters. Then I was told I had to go with the OEM airbox and use a K&N filter to resolve it. Further research and time later I figured out the old chrome vintage breadbox or an aftermarket one was another option to avoid the uglier OEM box.
 and to restore performance etc.
Anyway I found one here on the forum and I see you got it a day earlier. Good buy too as the other option is Tintops for $250.00 or another one from Ebay, I found a nice aftermarket for $140.00 with shipping, powder coated. As I said I'm glad you got it, Good luck with the build, keep it going!

Offline hapakev

• Your Standard
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2012, 11:13:16 pm »
Thanks Immortal.  I did pick up that Breadbox.  I was stoked to get one as I've been looking for one for a while.  I have been kind of dormant with my build and updates, but I have made some progress.  See post below.  Hopefully I will see you riding around, soon.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:25:20 pm by hapakev »
Smoking Jack
1978 CB750F(ish)

Offline hapakev

• Your Standard
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2012, 11:21:10 pm »
Here are some pics from my rearsets I have been working on.

I started on a mod to the F seat.  I want to retain the seat lock, mounting points and rear support.  I got some hacking done, but need to do some welding.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 10:42:15 am by hapakev »
Smoking Jack
1978 CB750F(ish)

Offline immortal

• Enthusiast
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2012, 09:17:50 am »
Hey Kev, She is looking really good! This is looking to be a really nice project. I can see where you are going with it now. That model has really grown on me too. The breadbox is going to look real nice in place of that stock airbox too.
I don't know if you are going to change some parts but I like having a few shiny bits thrown in rather than blacking everything out. It gives it a vintage nostalgic kind of look in fact I have a fair bit of chrome on mine mixed in which was just my personal taste but I have been really surprised how many people like the cafe/chopper parts mixture...I guess that's what a cafe is, what ever you want it to be. Besides I'm from East London and grew up with the mods and Rockers scene so that's my excuse....I'm in AZ right now but it looks like your missing good riding weather...not bad for January is it?

Offline hapakev

• Your Standard
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2012, 10:43:48 am »
Not bad at all, in the 70's all last week and most of this week too.
Smoking Jack
1978 CB750F(ish)

Offline Davidov

• Hot Shot
  • 1978 CB750 F3
    • My CB750F project log
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2012, 09:35:32 am »
I started on a mod to the F seat.  I want to retain the seat lock, mounting points and rear support.  I got some hacking done, but need to do some welding.

Have you seen my pictures when I hacked up the stock "F" seat? I pretty much did the same thing.
I riveted the main spots where I joined it together, and welded it to make it completely solid. I ended up removing about 2 inches from the overall length.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=93209.msg1087647#msg1087647
-David

Offline hapakev

• Your Standard
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2012, 12:10:05 pm »
I did see that.  I studied a few others builds that have done this mod as well, before I embarked.  I narrowed my origional 78F seat pan and cut off the rear duck bill and welded in some sheetmetal to make a more "early K" looking seat, but with a small bump.  I like it, but was thinking of hiding all of the electrics in the back, so thats why I cut up the spare F pan.  My idea for the build was to make the 77/78F that I think Honda should have made. 
Smoking Jack
1978 CB750F(ish)