Author Topic: need info, opinions, ideas... for my primary drive  (Read 848 times)

Offline cb(r)

• Hot Shot
need info, opinions, ideas... for my primary drive
« on: February 27, 2006, 11:32:35 am »
'74 cb550  the cases are split cleaned and painted.  My primary chain had light surface rust on it from sitting when I took it out.  I am sure I want to replace it after I have put this much time in and all new gaskets and what not are already bought. 

so my first question is (curiousity) how much play or slop should a chain have for between a new one and my bike with 17000 miles. 

2nd Q is where can I get a new one?  I looked at service honda and they want 90 dollars. is that reasonable?

3rd is there any new type of chain that I should look for that is better than the original

any info is useful info.  thanks in advance

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
Re: need info, opinions, ideas... for my primary drive
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 06:33:57 am »
Its a Honda only part that cant be got anywhere else (except Kawasaki as one of their models uses the same chain) Dave Silve rused to want £50 plus shipping (and import dues) so that $90 sounds cheap and its the same chain for 500/50/650 and finaly the cheapest actual buy cost was in Australia but you still got to ship it
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline cb(r)

• Hot Shot
Re: need info, opinions, ideas... for my primary drive
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 06:39:11 am »
thanks bryanj  that helps.  I am going to try the local dealer today.  he is a pain though.