Author Topic: CR carbs v. stock carbs on a CB750...  (Read 19592 times)

Offline camhello

CR carbs v. stock carbs on a CB750...
« on: November 10, 2010, 07:36:58 pm »
What are the advantages/disadvantages to running CR carbs (29mm) v. stock carbs on a stock engine?  Which are harder to tune?

Thoughts?

Just wondering, b/c I've got a set of CR carbs, and I may end up keeping them if it's worth it.  I'm not a speed demon or anything like that.  These would be for an old AEE trike w/ a stock CB750 motor.

Thanx in advance for any comments!!

:)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: CR carbs v. stock carbs on a CB750...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 07:49:13 pm »
Geez, can you post a pic on Inspiration thread..

Trying to remember it, did it have a roof on it??

Something of that era deserves Webers,, IMO..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline camhello

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 08:04:58 pm »
If I only I had Webers, hey?

You can check out pics on hondachopper.com if you go into my profile and click on my yuku images album.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 08:38:06 pm »
I would keep the CR's in the cupboard for a hotter build, after all they are racing carbs.....

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 09:32:47 pm »
they're trash mate, send them to me and save yourself some heartache.
I'm sounding more like TIA every day.......perish the thought
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 05:23:14 am »
You won't run them on a street bike without a whole world of pain. They are peak poer items at top end of rev range and dead low down in the range. They are a nightmare to set up as well....if you're building a hot motor or a racer then go for it, otherwise sell them on for a fair price - i.e. not to Scunny ;D
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline camhello

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 07:31:15 am »
These are one of those small things that take up little space so I can store for a while.  I figure if I sell them, great, and if not, I'll just end up holding on to them and maybe one day using them.

Chances are I'll end up keeping them...

Offline gnarlycharlie4u

• Far from being an
  • Expert
  • two steps forward, two steps back :-/
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 07:41:04 am »
it needs to be said:

are these the new CR specials or the old CR's?

I love my CR specials so far, they're excellent for top rpms but also do fine just cruising around town. Only down side is you can't whip the throttle open too hard.

Offline camhello

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 12:34:44 pm »
These are the newer CR specials.  I don't remember the website offhand, but they look to be the newer/3rd generation of these carbs?  The website showed pictures.  Apparently the first generation were sandcast?

And nuts - you mean these aren't really good for low end gunning?  That means that they really wouldn't work on my trike if that's the case - I need more at the low end than the high end.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 01:30:33 pm »
 You need accellerator pumps to get that weight moving..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 01:39:34 pm »
it needs to be said:

are these the new CR specials or the old CR's?

I love my CR specials so far, they're excellent for top rpms but also do fine just cruising around town. Only down side is you can't whip the throttle open too hard.

yes i agree ,  i find the cr's fine in the mid range [ even when i had a standard engine ]  they are very easy to work on , all the bits are readily available and when set up right give much better petrol consumption . the only downside is the tickover is slightly erratic compared to standard. dont get me wrong it still ticks over ok its just not as even as the standard setup . 

Offline camhello

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 02:38:23 pm »
So CR carbs give better mpg than stock carbs?  That'd be nice.

Are the jets easy to find?  I've got full sets of jets for the stock carbs, but these jets are different.  And I'd prefer not to have to buy a bunch of sets of jets to find the 'right' setup...  BTW - these have 120's in 'em - is that stock for CR carbs?

Also, what is tickover?  I haven't heard that term before?

Thanx!

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 03:42:27 pm »
I had new 29mm CR specials on my 836cc engine and hated them. It actually ran better once I took them off and installed a set of stockers. I mucked around with jetting, needle position, yada yada yada, but couldn't get it to idle properly, (idle screw positions sucks too) and as has been said before, you snap on the throttle and ..... nothing.

I'll get Ken Piper to mod a set of 32mm CV's like the one's on my other 836 in my K2, so far they're the best carbs I've had on a CB750 engine, bar none. Light weight, light throttle, and light on fuel. I've got some modified Mikuni 33mm smoothbores for my RC 1060cc engine build, I had these carbs on a GS1000 Suzuki drag bike years ago, and they were very good too. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 03:57:36 pm »
Tickover = idle..
 ..used by the bunch that drink warm beer, and are prepared to camp on the side if the motorway, when they experience, yet another electrical meltdown...

..keep the smoke inside the wires, chaps... ;)
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 03:32:55 am »
So CR carbs give better mpg than stock carbs?  That'd be nice.

Are the jets easy to find?  I've got full sets of jets for the stock carbs, but these jets are different.  And I'd prefer not to have to buy a bunch of sets of jets to find the 'right' setup...  BTW - these have 120's in 'em - is that stock for CR carbs?

Also, what is tickover?  I haven't heard that term before?

Thanx!

unfortunately if you are going to do it yourself you are going to have to buy alot of jets .i just bought a full set from 98 to 122  two needles each side of standard and some smaller pilot jets . took me an hour on the dyno to get it sorted . as terry said the idle adjustment screw is in the middle of the carbs and is a pig to get to , you can buy a remote adjuster that makes things much easier . if you really want to use them it might be worth finding a good dyno shop local to you , usually they will swap and change the jets and then just charge you for the ones you need . on a stock engine fitting the carbs gave an extra 4 hp in the mid range and 7 hp the top . when i fitted the 836 kit it made no difference to the jetting at all , when i fitted the megacycle cam it cocked it up completely , had to come down one needle size 7 main jet sizes and 2 pilot jet sizes .  i did find that changing the needle clip position didnt work , if you want to go richer or weaker in the mid range change the needle itself  . hope this helps ,dont be afraid to try its not rocket science but if you havnt done it before it can be a bit confusing .

Offline Howell

• Honda the power of dreams
  • Hot Shot
    • CB500 classic racing
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 11:23:33 am »
I have 31 mm on my 822cc F2 streetbike and they work very well even at low rpm's and speed.
I use 115  mainjets and lowered the needle with the clip in the third position.
You can buy jets etc here:http://www.pjmotorsports.com/
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 11:26:07 am by Howell »
You meet the nicest people on a Honda

Offline camhello

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 06:53:15 pm »
Thanx for the comments! 

I'm thinking, though, that I may be really done w/ bikes for a long time to come...I'm considering spacing my trike, too, since I don't have a garage and it's stored at a friend's place (as is my bike...) - and that's a PITA b/c I can't even really work on it.

Damn...to think I may be more interested in diesel landcruisers now...I would have never guessed...sheesh...now to find one...in the US...yeah, right...

Offline Ace

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 01:38:13 am »
Start of hijack - those of you who run CRs, VM29s and other non stock carbs, do you used pods or stacks or an airbox of some type? 

End of hijack  ;D
1971 CB750 K1 - Sold
1978 CB750 F2 Supersport - Sold
1981 CB900 Bol d'or - Sold
2006 CBR1100 XX Super Blackbird - Sold

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 03:29:24 am »
Start of hijack - those of you who run CRs, VM29s and other non stock carbs, do you used pods or stacks or an airbox of some type? 

End of hijack  ;D

Hey Adam, got to Tin Tops thread (link below) regarding the new "Anti Pod" filter setup he's manufacturing, it's the best of both worlds and he's sent kit #1 to me for testing, so once my K1 is back together (hopefully tomorrow) I'll be able to start the rigourous testing that Brian (Tin Top) has planned. I can tell you, that they look heaps better than the stock air box, and are better engineered than most pods. Cheers, Terry. ;D

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=79491.new;topicseen#new
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 01:18:24 pm »

End of hijack  ;D
I ran K&N Pods with VM29s and 888cc. Required minor rejetting: main jet and idle circuit tweaking, less than a few hours work.  I thought they ran wonderfully, though I never put it on a dyno. Out on the interstate in steady cruise mode with a side wind, I could feel the slightest of occasional surge. Great gas mileage, easy start with little choke, fast warmup, and accepted full throttle easily.

I think pods on a 750 esp with increased bore, work better than smaller engines which are more sensitive it seems.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline gnarlycharlie4u

• Far from being an
  • Expert
  • two steps forward, two steps back :-/
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2011, 05:06:19 pm »

End of hijack  ;D

uni foam filters.
however when it comes around i'm thinking of getting Tinpop's Anti-Pod

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2011, 05:12:48 pm »
These are the newer CR specials.  I don't remember the website offhand, but they look to be the newer/3rd generation of these carbs?  The website showed pictures.  Apparently the first generation were sandcast?

And nuts - you mean these aren't really good for low end gunning?  That means that they really wouldn't work on my trike if that's the case - I need more at the low end than the high end.

Cycle X has some mikuni's with accelerator pumps ffor the price {or cheaper} than the CR's..\

http://www.cyclexchange.net/Carb%20System%20Comp%20Page.htm

Scroll down and look at the 34mm Mikuni's....

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 05:38:49 pm »
I've got a set of those carbs in a box Mick, I got them off a guy who drag raced a Suzuki GSXR750. They are very light, compared to CR's and the older 29 or 33 mm Mikuni smoothbores. I decided to use my 33mm mikuni smoothies on my 1060cc engine though, just becuse they are more "period" than flatslide carbs. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline cbrfunk

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2011, 07:24:44 pm »
back to the CRs...Would you not have a quicker reaction with pods and a fully ported head?
I'm putting together a hot street CR750 overbored to 836, ported heads, wicked cam etc... and just bought a set of 29 CR carbs because the guy sold me on the full range of power that I could expect with my motor.

Was I misinformed??

thanks for any advice
Chris

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2011, 08:16:10 pm »
 Is full range of power & wicked cam, even Allowed in the same sentence.. ???
dodogas99@gmail.com