Author Topic: Team Southwest - OK, TX, NM - Riders check in here  (Read 75457 times)

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Re: Team Southwest Region - OK, TX, NM - Riders check in here
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 06:27:09 pm »
I edited my original post at the top to include the list. Isn't there someone from Lubbock that was interested? Edit: added Justin to the list.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 06:40:16 pm by scottly »
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
Re: WestTX-NM-AZ-SoCal leg
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 06:43:09 pm »
West Texas, where do you see the NM hand-off happening?

Would Las Cruces be good?  Not too far from El Paso, it's right off I-10, and the food is good.  Not too mention White Sands is there.
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline gregimotis

• poet laureate; SOHC4.
  • Expert
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 08:23:04 pm »

Would Las Cruces be good?  Not too far from El Paso, it's right off I-10, and the food is good.  Not too mention White Sands is there.

Cruces would be great.  My plan A would be to come down 285 and hit you at Artesia and  from there we could tumble into Las Cruces; hotel/food/beer all within walking distance.

For the Arizona connection, Plan A would run up the freeway to 152 (one of the best roads in NM)  then hit Arizona on 70 around Duncan - then North up 191 (191 Clifton to Eager is as good as any ride anywhere).  How does that jibe with Arizona's plans?

My plan b involves strong use of freeways and isn't very interesting.
"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

Offline gregimotis

• poet laureate; SOHC4.
  • Expert
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 08:27:46 pm »
Fastbroshi, in my response I assumed your route goes through Artesia.  Let me know if you prefer another NM entry point.
"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

Offline gregimotis

• poet laureate; SOHC4.
  • Expert
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2010, 08:36:43 pm »
I edited my original post at the top to include the list. Isn't there someone from Lubbock that was interested? Edit: added Justin to the list.

I have Justin contact info.  I will shoot him an email here in a minute and see where he stands. 

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2010, 08:42:14 pm »
hit Arizona on 70 around Duncan - then North up 191 (191 Clifton to Eager is as good as any ride anywhere).  How does that jibe with Arizona's plans?

My plan b involves strong use of freeways and isn't very interesting.
It's still wide open at this point. I would also like to avoid freeways and interstates, especially in urban areas.
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
  • Oh, so this is where you type the text...
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2010, 08:54:54 pm »
Hey guy's, I don't know if my bike will be ready for this years ride.
I'm not saying "no" just yet though, I assembled the engine today, and it is ready to go in the frame. The frame isn't ready yet, my goal was to have it ride-able by April, but might be March or sooner.

Dallas is like 1.5hrs down I-20 for me, so I would be up for that if everything is ready in time..

Offline gregimotis

• poet laureate; SOHC4.
  • Expert
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2010, 09:01:25 pm »
I'm not saying "no" just yet though, I assembled the engine today, and it is ready to go in the frame. The frame isn't ready yet, my goal was to have it ride-able by April, but might be March or sooner.

Dallas is like 1.5hrs down I-20 for me, so I would be up for that if everything is ready in time..

The more the merrier.  Double coverage = anti-trouble insurance.

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2010, 09:14:27 pm »
Fastbroshi, in my response I assumed your route goes through Artesia.  Let me know if you prefer another NM entry point.

Doesn't matter to me Greg.  I'm coming from Dallas, so I'll just hook up with you guys wherever.  If it happens to go through Dallas, through I-10 west to El Paso/Las Cruces, great.  Even if there's not a lot of riders coming from down south, I still think it would be a good idea to roll down that way, then come up through the Big Bend area.  Epic.
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2010, 09:18:57 pm »
I'm not saying "no" just yet though, I assembled the engine today, and it is ready to go in the frame. The frame isn't ready yet, my goal was to have it ride-able by April, or sooner.

End of March, early April was the projected time, but remember, all is subject to change at this time. The idea for right now is to see how much interest there is, where those folks are, and try to "connect the dots" in a way that works best for all involved.

Offline gregimotis

• poet laureate; SOHC4.
  • Expert
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2010, 10:12:41 pm »
I've just noticed that OK is in my region, But I've not heard anything from Oklahoma.  Scottly, do you know something about that or do I need to sort OK?

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2010, 10:20:16 pm »
Just got a PM from someone in OK; they haven't committed yet, but I'm hoping they will. When/if, I will add them to the list..

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2010, 11:40:30 pm »
Just got word that the Spread Sheet has been updated. I do believe we have someone from OK.  ;D

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AnAgJYsshlFSdFNNYmFwWXpCWUZKT05zQmViMnBpaVE&hl=en&authkey=COrQx5kN#gid=0
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2010, 05:43:22 am »
Ok, I am not sure if this will show up here, but I tried to made it available to share. 

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&hl=en&tab=wl

I made a few routes from DFW to Las Cruces .  There are many more that could be used, using more back roads or whatever.  I was just trying to get a general Idea of where we were heading. 

The spreadsheet says that I am in for OKC to Dallas, and I can do that, but I prefer to pick up at the OK-TX border and then head west for a bit.  Maybe not as far as Lubbock, but at least to Wichita Falls.  It really depends on how the bike is running, and if I feel comfortable.
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2010, 05:48:47 pm »

Cruces would be great.  My plan A would be to come down 285 and hit you at Artesia and  from there we could tumble into Las Cruces; hotel/food/beer all within walking distance.

For the Arizona connection, Plan A would run up the freeway to 152 (one of the best roads in NM)  then hit Arizona on 70 around Duncan

This sounds great guys!! Thanks!
Next is to figure out a hand-off from OK to TX...

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2010, 08:29:55 pm »

The spreadsheet says that I am in for OKC to Dallas, and I can do that, but I prefer to pick up at the OK-TX border and then head west for a bit.  Maybe not as far as Lubbock, but at least to Wichita Falls.  It really depends on how the bike is running, and if I feel comfortable.

Yea, we could meet up and ride to the OK/Tx border and then where ever..... That is if my bike is road worthy by the time this starts. ;)

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2010, 08:34:58 pm »

For the Arizona connection, Plan A would run up the freeway to 152 (one of the best roads in NM)  then hit Arizona on 70 around Duncan

This sounds great guys!! Thanks!
Next is to figure out a hand-off from OK to TX...

I have done a lot of work in Idabel Ok, and it is a straight shot pretty much for me up 69 to 37 about 3.5hrs in a car. Went this past summer to ride the river. Maybe a good place to exchange, or make the drop.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2010, 08:52:23 pm »

Yea, we could meet up and ride to the OK/Tx border and then where ever..... That is if my bike is road worthy by the time this starts. ;)
campbmic is in for Dallas to OK and back.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2010, 09:16:03 pm »
Brian, anything we can do to help you get your bike roadworthy?

Offline gregimotis

• poet laureate; SOHC4.
  • Expert
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2010, 09:17:48 pm »

Good question.

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2010, 09:41:08 pm »

Well..... ;D

I'm not sure really, it's just a time and money thing right now, I was going to powder coat my frame, but due to my work, and funds, I rattle canned it today.. I'm still going to try and have my rims powder coated, but since my engine is back together and ready to go in the frame, I'm anxious to get it back together.
So it's pretty much just putting it all back together now, lacing, and truing the wheels, buying a few parts, and tires.

I hope to have the engine in the frame by the weekend! ;D

I appreciate the offer! ;)

Will be posting updated pics in my build thread soon.  

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2010, 10:03:52 pm »
Yeah, time and money are at the top of my list, too! Time-wise, I can fore-go certain "improvements", but things like tires take cold, hard cash. :(

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2010, 04:50:11 am »

I was about to say "I could come out there and help wrench on it one afternoon" then I looked up your location.  Damn son, you're half way to Shreveport.  I will help you by sending good vibes.  LOL  ;)
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2010, 05:04:02 am »
On the OK TX hand-off,  since it seems to be coming from OKC, Ardmore or Gainesville seem to be good choices.  77 would be a nice route as an alternative to 35.  It runs over by turner falls and whatnot. Do we know if it will be coming from OKC? Where is the hand-off to OK coming from?    If it is going more Tulsa way,  69 south to Sherman Dennison would work as well.

I like the idea of heading south from DFW and going through the hill country, but that takes us way out of the way of Lubbock, and we have a rider out there as well.  Anyway,  other Texas folks, look at the map I posted and try to figure out a route that works.

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2010, 08:15:42 am »

I was about to say "I could come out there and help wrench on it one afternoon" then I looked up your location.  Damn son, you're half way to Shreveport.  I will help you by sending good vibes.  LOL  ;)
   lol ;D yea I am, thanks for the good vibe support! ;)