Author Topic: Team Southwest - OK, TX, NM - Riders check in here  (Read 75340 times)

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Team Southwest - OK, TX, NM - Riders check in here
« on: December 21, 2010, 08:42:02 pm »
Link to route map:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=200743221569585602370.0004988c233ca0790ae60&ll=33.174342,-101.953125&spn=7.353632,9.876709&t=h&z=7&iwloc=suck
Proposed Hand-off points:

TX to NM: Las Cruces
NM to AZ: Duncan

Campbmic - Dallas - Dallas to OK and back. Place for riders to stay
 AlanShively - Dallas
 Lavis500 - Copperas Cove, TX (Ft. Hood) - TX
 Brian77cb750 - Lindale, TX - LA to OK to TX
 Goofaroo - OK City area (Edmond) 100 miles either/both directions (but bike may not be done)
 Gordon - N Dallas area
 Fastbroshi -  Dallas  I don't give a flyin' #$%*, I'll go to San Diego
 Justin Carthel - Lubbock, TX
 tree fiddy of industry, AKA poor boi, somewhere in the deepest darkest heart of USA, with a big "maybe", depending on whether on not his bike is ready.
 CBGhia OK City to Dallas
 gregimotis Santa Fe NM
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 12:06:20 am by Jerry Rxman Griffin »
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
Re: WestTX-NM-AZ-SoCal leg
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 12:49:45 am »
Scottly has a good point. I'm envisioning end of March early April for those areas. If weather permits, perhaps a ride similar/close to I-10 then perhaps from Phoenix ride up to the Grand Canyon and through Vegas would be really nice. Otherwise, stay south on I-8 all the way to San Diego. And if you did this then Tecate is only a few miles away. We could bag another country (I gotta quit thinkin  :D ) LIKE I SAY, IF WEATHER AND RIDERS PERMIT. Remember, this should have flexibility built in to provide for necessary changes. 
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 07:01:04 pm »
A route I have taken in the past, to avoid the Interstates, is through Wickenburg, to Parker, to Joshua Tree/29 Palms, then through Victorville, past El Mirage dry lake, to end up just North of Lancaster, just a stones throw from Big-Jay's place.
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 08:23:41 pm »
To the guys in NM: What would be your preferred route into AZ?

Offline gregimotis

• poet laureate; SOHC4.
  • Expert
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 09:55:19 pm »
'Our' (as I seem to be the only one so far, I shall refer to myself in the third person henceforth) preferred entry is probably 70 into Duncan.  We would like to return to Santa Fe via 191 and give I-10 the finger. 
This assumes the relay will enter NM from Texas well South of I-40.  If I-40 is the route, I may prefer 60 to Eager for the night.

Let me check in with TX
"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

Offline gregimotis

• poet laureate; SOHC4.
  • Expert
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 09:59:09 pm »
West Texas, where do you see the NM hand-off happening?
"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 10:58:46 pm »
'Our' (as I seem to be the only one so far, I shall refer to myself in the third person henceforth)
I thought there were 2 or 3 of you in Santa Fe?

« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 11:24:30 pm by Jerry Rxman Griffin »

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 11:24:49 pm »
Gregimotis of course
Justin Carthel - Lubbock, TX - Lubbock to NM and beyond
Medic09 - NM
MYCB750K6 - aka Rocketman - SoCal to AZ/NM

That's all I could find on the list!
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 03:01:42 pm »
i am up in north Texas,  DFW.  I don't know if you guys are routing this far north, but I might be able to pick up in this area.
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 04:43:03 pm »
i am up in north Texas,  DFW.  I don't know if you guys are routing this far north, but I might be able to pick up in this area.

You better believe it. How could we miss the heart of TX?! We have a couple other guys you should get together with and work on some ideas for you guys to ride. "IT" will probably traveling from OK City to you guys then "somehow" to NM. Somehow depends on how the riders want to do it. We only have a couple NM riders and it would have to be coordinated with the next rider but we have NO Team SW Regional Coordinator yet. Looking for volunteers. Check in/PM with these guys.

AlanShively - Dallas
 Goofaroo - OK City area (Edmond) 100 miles either/both directions (but bike may not be done)
 Gordon - N Dallas area

Merry Christmas

Jerry

Offline gregimotis

• poet laureate; SOHC4.
  • Expert
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 01:56:39 pm »
1) I'm pretty sure Medic09 is in Israel for the spring.

2) My 'preferred' route is the one which makes this happen. I expect I'll go from Just North of I-10 to just North of I-10 covering NM.

3) what does a regional coordinator have to do besides pick up an 'IT'?
      - I guess post the final route/dates, collect contact info, and find out who's going to help fix the bike if it comes to that.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 02:17:12 pm by gregimotis »

Offline gregimotis

• poet laureate; SOHC4.
  • Expert
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 02:18:40 pm »
Who else is in Texas then?  I'll check the list.

Offline gregimotis

• poet laureate; SOHC4.
  • Expert
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 08:55:59 pm »
CBghia, you have mail.

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2010, 10:07:28 pm »
1) I'm pretty sure Medic09 is in Israel for the spring.

2) My 'preferred' route is the one which makes this happen. I expect I'll go from Just North of I-10 to just North of I-10 covering NM.

3) what does a regional coordinator have to do besides pick up an 'IT'?
      - I guess post the final route/dates, collect contact info, and find out who's going to help fix the bike if it comes to that.

A Regional Coordinator coordinates  ;) That would be the go to guy that brings everyone together and helps THEM plan THEIR riding. Makes sure his team hooks up with and coordinates the pickup and drop off while ensuring the guys do their region. Is cheerleader, dad, friend, etc. Is the spokesperson for the team, the contact for the team. Unpaid position by the way  ;D Doesn't have to spend ANYWHERE NEAR the amount of time I do. The Regional Coordinator is excited about the rally and has fun. He rides and enjoys meeting and interacting with the riders. AND other stuff too just depending on him. Is that convincing?!  ;)

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2010, 10:28:42 pm »
Could we divide the regions a bit? I could handle the hand-off from NM to AZ with greg, and the hand-off from AZ to CA with rocketman myles.

Offline gregimotis

• poet laureate; SOHC4.
  • Expert
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2010, 10:31:16 pm »
Could we divide the regions a bit? I could handle the hand-off from NM to AZ with greg, and the hand-off from AZ to CA with rocketman myles.

Right, I can sort Texas and New Mexico.  Maybe co-coordinators?

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2010, 10:34:15 pm »
Sounds good to me!!!
Now we need shenanigans to fill us in on good routes into south-east AZ; my experience is with the north-west part of the state.   
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 10:42:01 pm by scottly »

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2010, 11:13:58 pm »
Scottly & Gregimotis,

Good idea. Fine with me. Figure it out and let me know. Get 'er done  ;) and ride  ;D

Jerry

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 08:30:17 am »
If the ride is coming from OK, I can pick up at the Red River and south through FT Worth and down to I-20.  I am not sure where to drop off to the next person in West Texas, but somewhere along I-20 before the I-10 split.  I-10 will lead through El Paso if anyone wants it to go that far south.   

As an alternative, we could keep riding south and hand off to some Austin or San Antonio folks and they can take it west.

Texas is so big though.  Driving to San Diego from Dallas, I spent more time in Texas than the whole rest of the trip.  8 hours from Dallas to El Paso in a car, only 5 or 6 from there to San Diego. We may have to do multiple hand-offs in the state.  I don't trust my CB550 to go more than a few hours.  May have to have a chase vehicle.  LOL
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline gregimotis

• poet laureate; SOHC4.
  • Expert
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 12:25:41 pm »
I'll get some time today or tomorrow to work out some details on route and stuff for Texas/ New Mexico.  I'll PM around etc.

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 03:59:09 pm »
Scottly & Gregimotis,

Good idea. Fine with me. Figure it out and let me know. Get 'er done  ;) and ride  ;D

Jerry

You guys up for this?? One of you needs to post the Regional topic and I will sticky it to stay in place. BUT, only the one that starts it can manage it. Let me know &/or when I see it I'll sticky it.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 05:55:12 pm »

Texas is so big though.  Driving to San Diego from Dallas, I spent more time in Texas than the whole rest of the trip.  8 hours from Dallas to El Paso in a car, only 5 or 6 from there to San Diego. We may have to do multiple hand-offs in the state.  I don't trust my CB550 to go more than a few hours.  May have to have a chase vehicle.  LOL

I think Texas qualifies as a region by itself!

Jerry, early on, you mentioned "connecting the dots". It would be nice to have a sticky of the proposed route map, with dots marking the locations of the members that have signed up. Sorry, I don't have the graphic skills, or I would do it myself. "I know what I want, I just don't know how to go about gettin' it"

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2010, 11:46:05 pm »
 AlanShively - Dallas
 Gordon - N Dallas area

You can add me to the list.

Fastbroshi - I don't give a flyin' #$%*, I'll go to San Diego  8)  
Thinking about heading out east too, I fragged my pictures from my trip to Barber's.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:25:56 am by fastbroshi »
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline gregimotis

• poet laureate; SOHC4.
  • Expert
Re: Team Southwest Region - OK, TX, NM - Riders check in here
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2010, 02:28:11 pm »
Thanks Broshi, that's the kind of list we need.

TX looks pretty simple to me as long as it comes from OK, it's just a leg to Dallas and a long straight shot leg to NM

My plan generally is to ride South from Santa FE, pick up the baton around the border and then ride straight for Arizona.  My course my plan is complicated by two young children at home, so anyone who wanted to ride into NM and either ride together or potentially pick up some slack is more than welcome.

There are some good roads around Silver city and the AZ border.

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
Re: Team Southwest Region - OK, TX, NM - Riders check in here
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 02:49:07 pm »
  For those of you that haven't ridden in TX, there is some fine riding to be found down south, down around the Hill Country west of Austin.  You'd think you were in Eastern Tennessee, if just for a little while.   If you've never been, it is  awesome and there's a bit of a pucker factor going into some of the turns  :-*, not to mention how nice the weather is in April.   
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!