Author Topic: CB400f. Realizing my dream bike.  (Read 19592 times)

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
Re: CB400f. Realizing my dream bike.
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2011, 07:20:28 pm »
I'll also be following. That tank is GORGEOUS!

Mind sharing where that seat is from as well? or did you make that?

Thank you very much man.  The seat was an ebay find.  I think it is made by a company called "Nitroheads" or something like that.  Was made for an XS650, but it will work well, I am going to modify it to use the stock hinge and latch.

Here's the same seat, but with snaps:

http://www.deus.com.au/shop/motorcycle-parts/seats/nitroheads-stud-cafe-seat-/prod_161.html

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2011, 07:24:58 pm »

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 06:50:58 pm »
Just giving you guys a little update.  The core bike will be on my doorstep at 10AM tomorrow, along with the spare motor.  Then the real work will begin.  My spare bedroom is starting to look awesome with all of these parts flowing in though!  The wife hates it! 

Just to give you guys some eye candy, I thought I' post up a pic of what got dropped on my doorstep this morning straight from Japan.....

Needless to say, I am a happy camper!

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 07:01:26 pm »
Those look amazing.
Where do I get a set?

FJ
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 07:05:47 pm »
Hey Jimmy, got mine from an eBay seller american24store....they get them occasionally.  I got lucky and found some from a bike that weighs exactly the same as a 400f.  It was from an NC31....have to modify the s/a mount to an eye instead of a clevis, but that's no big deal at all since I'll be adding an underslung brace anyway.  By the way, got your PM, I'm measuring for you now....standby for a reply.

Offline RickB

• Hot Shot
    • Pop Magazine
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2011, 08:01:09 pm »
This build is going to look amazing. I'm watching with enthusiasm.

Going back to the Motobitz rearsets, do you think you could mill out the mounting plates a bit to cut down the bulky look? That's one of the appeals to the MC Again rearsets, they just look 'fast'.

You might have already mentioned it, but what are you doing about breathing? I assume you're not keeping the stock setup? But seeing as you have kept the side covers, are you gonna' leave the airbox original? Those carbs look fantastic and with your engine modification, this thing is going to hammer!

More photos please!!

Rick.

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2011, 08:09:32 pm »
Thanks for the compliments Rick!

Anyone with milling capabilities could easily take the plates down as much as possible.  With all of the "chunk" I have thought about drilling them for exactly the same aesthetic appeal that you mention.  I agree that they are a bit heavy looking, but they are made of 3/8 aluminum plate, so they will still be plenty strong.

As far as breathing, right now I am going to be using velocity stacks on the carbs.  I am using the side covers because I personally like the way that they look on our bikes.  It just completes the look to me.  I will build a new battery box that also holds all of the remaining electronics because they will also be slimmed down using a combo reg/rec and no flasher relay along with a new blade type fuse assembly of my own design.  It will be much cleaner/lighter under there, but still maintain the "look".  I plan on using a comparable mAh AGM battery that will be smaller, but still pack a punch.

I hope it surprises people...including myself!  This is the bike I have always wanted to build, so I am going to do it right.

I promise to keep you guys updated with visual and tech stimulation as soon as it comes in!!!!!!

Offline Joel

• Hot Shot
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2011, 08:54:35 pm »
Also forgot to mention one awesome deal I got.  A guy on Ebay was listing a set of wheels for an XR600 dirt bike.  Upon inspection of the pics, I noticed that the hubs were from a 400f/cb360.....So I bought them for $100 shipped.  Very nice, straight high shouldered Akront rims, good condition hubs, and a cross drilled stainless brake surface, magnesium basket front rotor....amazing vintage race stuff.  These will be getting white powdered centers with polished lips and stainless spokes.

Looks like a great project.  Are those rims aluminum?

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2011, 08:56:57 pm »

Looks like a great project.  Are those rims aluminum?

Yes they are.  Akront high shouldered alloy.  And thank you!

Offline RickB

• Hot Shot
    • Pop Magazine
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2011, 09:26:43 pm »
Thanks for the details. I have so many questions I want to ask (dual disc up front?) but I'll bite my tongue and wait and see.

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
  • The green flag sets me free
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2011, 07:02:28 am »
Brother Kanticoy I can not wait to see what all you do to this bike but it definately looks like you are going first class all the way! Awesome build man, I love it!

I don't guess you would let me borrow those Ohlins for awhile would you? Hahahaha!

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 07:05:03 am by joeyputt »
Joe - Owner/Operator of DWMS Racing World Class Engine & Motorcycle Building www.dwmsracing.com

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/joe.dwmsracing

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2011, 02:36:00 pm »
Thank you guys for being interested.  Now I know you are all as crazy as I am!!!

Joey, come on up to Birmingham, you can borrow them until I'm ready for them!  But you have to do some machine work on my head for me in return!

So today I was visited by a giant cargo van.  It was filled with things that are wonderful.  Hope you like it as much as I do!  Feels like Christmas!!!

The spare, low mileage motor:

And just for fun, to give myself some motivation!

Gotta pack her away until next week, doing a little travel this weekend!  Come Monday though, the surgery begins!

Offline RickB

• Hot Shot
    • Pop Magazine
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2011, 05:21:45 pm »
I'm interested to see how you make that seat work. It looks like it sits quite high when compared to how it sits on Yamaha SR's. It's early days yet though with the seat being a relatively minor issue compared to your massive to-do list.

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2011, 06:50:11 pm »
I'm interested to see how you make that seat work. It looks like it sits quite high when compared to how it sits on Yamaha SR's. It's early days yet though with the seat being a relatively minor issue compared to your massive to-do list.

Don't worry, I've got it covered!  It's an eye trick considering A- there are no tank rubbers to hold it in it's final position, B- the seat is sitting on top of the rear brace that is designed for a deeper panned seat (factory) and C- it's just layed on there.

I know what you mean, it looks way funny. But it will look great when the frame mods are done.....I HOPE!

Thanks for the continued interest man!

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2011, 11:54:46 pm »
Sweeeeet!  Nice Job!

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2011, 05:13:36 am »
As often happens, in building your own dream bike, you're creating dreams for the rest of us.  ;D

Amazing work so far!
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline mrrch

• Hot Shot
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2011, 06:41:19 am »
It's a sweet looking tracker if it was left the way it sits now. Looking forward to the build.
my build

1977 CB750K WITH 1976 CB750F ENGINE

Offline Kwality

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2011, 09:13:55 pm »
Top stuff!  I watch with interest - consider me subscribed!

Cheers,

Leigh

Offline Slams77

• Enthusiast
  • Naturally Aspirated
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2011, 08:27:20 am »
How are the rearsets coming along, any pics with them mounted yet?

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2011, 10:51:20 am »
Another build I will watch.

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2011, 10:58:18 am »
Yep....watching this one as well.

Nothing like some freshly painted tins & seat to keep you motivated.

Looking good.
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline jessezm

• '77 cb400f cafe build
  • Expert
  • Always wrenching...
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2011, 07:44:50 pm »
Um...Ahem?  Updates???

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2011, 02:07:31 pm »
Sorry for the lack of updates!

I am vigilantly working though, I promise!  The new front end is here.  I am using a 1st generation GSXR750 forks with the external damping control.  Nice and big at 41mm, but still standard forks which retain the nice vintage looks. 

The bearings were a little hard to track down, but I finally found what I need.  The stock bearing from the All Balls 400f kit fits the bottom, but I had to order the second bearing from the local bearing house.  When it gets here it should bolt on.

Secondly, I bought an 86 FZR250 swing arm from Ebay UK.  It is a nice boxed unit with the perfect 205mm pivot length.  It uses a needle bearing pivot and is 1.8 lbs lighter than the stock unit even in stock trim.  I have to build shock mounts for it to mount the Ohlin's units to the bike, and it will need shortened by 4" to retain the stock dimensions.  The wheel mounting area is 5mm narrower than stock, but I am using a custom hub out back that I will post more info on when I receive from the machinist.  Stand by for a full review on that!  The biggest task to mounting this arm is that it used a 17mm pivot bolt which I wanted to retain due to it being a nice stainless hollow unit.  To make that work, I had to replace the stock 15mm pivots in the frame to accept the 17mm bolts.  I got a piece of 17mm I.D. chromoly tubing from the local steel shop, cut them to 60mm each, and carefully removed the wends from around the stock pivot tube to remove it.  The new tubes were mocked up and welded in.  I will be adding flat plate bracing to the stock bracket for added peace of mind, but it is now installed and pivots perfectly.

New arm:

Installed, stock arm resting on top to show the comparison:

I am waiting on parts, and after I overhaul the shop, I will have this bike on the bike table to begin assembly.  I will be using Katana offset rotors up front with dual nissin calipers.  I am having 2 adapters made to bolt them up to a stock hub.  Can't wait to make her a roller.

Also on order is a replica RC162 fairing.  I decided that to take full advantage of this motor, I want that full fairing, not to mention it looks amazing.  The only difference, is mine will have a headlight cutout in it since this will be a mostly street bike....pics as they come!

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2011, 04:20:14 pm »
Well a little more work done to day.  Dirt is getting delivered tomorrow along with some building materials for the shop to start erecting it, so since I had nothing to do today, and my bearings finally showed up from Japan, I figured I'd set to grafting the front end onto the 400.  It's done and works flawlessly.  There was one bearing that was a #$%* to find to fir the top of the GSXR stem into the 400f race, but once it was here it bolted right up.  The Gixxer stem is only 5mm longer than the stock one so that made things really simple.  All that's left to do is weld on some steering stops to keep them from crashing into the tank.  But it looks great.  I also cut off 4" from the FZR swingarm and re-cut the axle holes carefully with a die grinder.  With any luck she'll be a roller soon.  That is when I get a minute to work in between preparing Gretta for Barber's and building the shop.  Lots to do!!!!

The fabled bearings:

Forks installed!

Cut down swinger:

More as they come!

Offline kajtek

• Hot Shot
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2011, 04:26:34 am »
looking good! im suffering from front end jealousy...

will your turning circle get significantly smaller with the less offset stem? im currently set on using 41mm forks for my 400, just searching around looking for the most offset 41mm stem that i can find..

ashley
1978 honda cb400f supersport