Author Topic: CB400f. Realizing my dream bike.  (Read 19594 times)

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
CB400f. Realizing my dream bike.
« on: February 02, 2011, 04:24:50 pm »
Since I was a kid, I had an obsession with the 400fs.  I think that it is probably a combination of the looks, the mechanical beauty, and the exercise in miniature art.  I just love them to death. 

Last year I bought one and brought her back to life.  I love it.  I have always wanted to build the perfect machine out of one of these, and through lots of research, etc., I have seen some amazing bikes come of the little fours.  There was a problem though, my little bike was really too perfect to do anything extreme to.  It is a 9700 +/- example, and when I bought it, I did the simple things like replace the clutch (po used full synthetic and wondered why it slipped), added a DynaS and GL100) coils (replaceable leads), clipons, tires, rebuilt the brakes, added a MAC exhaust (still have the original, but someone high centered it right at the collector), added signals (mine were missing), replaced the cracked headlight bucket, and seat cover...spent 2 weeks on the butchered wiring, etc.  You get the idea.  Well, I love the bike to death, but just couldn't bring myself to go forward with modifying beyond the point of no return....here she is.

She is a 75 in lacquer blue.

Well over time I have been collecting parts.  Lots of parts.  And then one day, a deal that I couldn't pass up came along.  I found a guy in Michigan (I am in Alabama), that sold me a 8100 mile rolling chassis, also a 75, missing nothing but the tins with clear title, PLUS another free spare motor for $500....shipped.  I snagged it immediately. 

Looks like the parts are going to find a home. 

Over the last few months I have been tinkering with a tank that I picked up.  I always liked the 77 tanks due to there obscure little fuel door.  I got one off of CL back in November that wasn't in terrible shape other than a shallow crease on the right side, and being filled with a half inch of lacquered old gas.  Well over the months I stripped the inside of the tank with a combo of products, namely muriatic acid and acetone, dried, repeated, and then POR15 lined it.  After that I worked out all of the dings and dents with a dent puller and a skim coat of dynatron glazing putty and finished up the paint this week.

the wife would kill me if she saw this!

Primed

Finished in the colors I've been dreaming about.  Pure HRC racing colors....also inspired by one of my favorite bikes, the RC30. Using repro RC166 decals which I have always loved.

Got this seat for her with red stitching:

To give me the final look:

(this is pre clear coat and pre toning down the side covers, but it's a good profile.)

So that's where I sit as I wait on the rolling chassis and motor to get here from Michigan.  It should be here next week.  Then the real work starts.  In the mean time, I will show ya some parts I've been collecting.  This is after all my dream bike, so no holes barred...I'm building it the way that I want and the way that it was intended.

Ohlins NC31 (CB400SF) shocks.  These bikes are 370 lbs dry from the factory,  The 400f SS is 375, so they should work perfectly.  I will have to modify the bottom swingarm mount to accept an eye instead of a clevis, but it will be getting bracing modification anyway, so it's all good.

Tarozzi clip-ons, the forks will be stock 400f with RaceTech springs and gold valve emulators rebuilt using new seals and fluid.  These will be coming off of the blue bike to go on here, and a set of stockers will be going on the blue bike since she will be going back mostly stock:

New RK heavy duty cam chain:

Kibblewhite valve springs and aluminum retainers (may be traded for Titanium):

These were purchased because I bought this:  A Megacycle full race cam shaft. This increases valve lift and duration giving a good bit more mid and top end power.  .290" of valve lift and a duration of 246* at .040".  It is a beautiful thing.  Looks funny because it is packed in lithium grease until I put it into the motor.  It is the Megacycle 131-20.

54.5mm overbore pistons that are sent out for balancing and increasing the valve pockets.  Will bore her up to 466cc's. Also have new wrist pins, clips and rings:

Compared to stock:

And a set of Keihin CR Special 26mm carbs:

The head (a spare that I had) has been sent off for porting and polishing along with the crank for lightening and balancing.  The rods will be shot peened and cryogenically treated and also balanced.  The oil pump has been modified to CB750 internals for increased flow.  The head and cylinders will also be decked to match.  As mentioned before the pistons will be balanced and relief cut for the increased lift on the cam.  The motor will be completely rebuilt using a TON of NOS parts I have been collecting.  I have a set of all of the bearings and seals internally, along with a second Dyna S iggy for her.  I will be putting in a Barnett clutch and HD clutch springs.

I can't wait to get started on the dirty work.  I have a target of being finished by the end of July for a big get together in West Virginia, and have time to dial her in for the Barber's Vintage Festival.  It feels like I have been working on this old girl forever considering all of the planning and thought I have put into her.  But really the work is only just beginning!  I hope you guys dig what is going on so far, and I will keep you updated as the magic happens!  Thanks for looking!

gsnorcal

Re: CB400f. Realizing my dream bike.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 04:36:00 pm »
I'll be following.

Your near-stock bike is really nice, too!

Dave

Offline Goofaroo

• general nuisance
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 05:19:36 pm »
Love the paint!  I'll be tagging along with you as this progresses. I gotta ask- where did you find the tank decals? I've looked everywhere with no luck. I'd like to have a set of the decals or the artwork that I could print on waterslide paper.

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 05:59:34 pm »
Thanks guys.  I can't wait to make it happen. 

Goofaroo, the decals came from Disco Volante.

http://www.discovolantemoto.co.uk/vintage-honda-spares/honda-39-wing-39-tank-decal/prod_959.html

A little pricey, but they are very thin...almost waterslide thin.  Perfect for clearing over like I did.

Offline Goofaroo

• general nuisance
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 06:06:33 pm »
Thanks for revealing your source. Now if you will just come paint my bike for me I'll be all set.

Offline kpier883

• is quite the
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 06:12:32 pm »
Did you use a local shop for the head porting? 
74 CB750
80 CBX
82 KZ1000 K2 (LTD)
57 1/2 ton chevy

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 06:25:41 pm »
Did you use a local shop for the head porting? 

A local shop did the boring, but the rest was outsourced to a guy in Portland that is a friend of mine.  He is a pro, and helped me out a ton on the machine work that I needed and couldn't do myself. 

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 06:36:28 pm »
Also forgot to mention one awesome deal I got.  A guy on Ebay was listing a set of wheels for an XR600 dirt bike.  Upon inspection of the pics, I noticed that the hubs were from a 400f/cb360.....So I bought them for $100 shipped.  Very nice, straight high shouldered Akront rims, good condition hubs, and a cross drilled stainless brake surface, magnesium basket front rotor....amazing vintage race stuff.  These will be getting white powdered centers with polished lips and stainless spokes.

Offline TPColgett

• Hope to be on the road soon...
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 06:45:09 pm »
You sir are building more than one persons dream bike ;D ;D ;D i will eagerly be watching your progress!

Offline Slams77

• Enthusiast
  • Naturally Aspirated
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 08:06:24 pm »
Glad to see your build Kanticoy.  Saw the tank and side covers the other day and I can’t get the sweet paint scheme out of my head.

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 08:07:36 pm »
Thanks fellas!  Can't wait to put as much love into the rest of the bike.  I'm pretty pumped!

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 08:08:49 pm »
Your build is looking great, and it shouldn't come as a surprise that I LOVE the paint.

Cheers
Jimmy
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 08:12:05 pm »
Hahaha!  Jimmy, when I saw your bike I thought to myself "damn, that guy has taste  ;)"

I appreciate it man.  Glad you're watching my build.  I loved watching yours!  (that sounded a little raunchy!  Wasn't on purpose I swear!)

Anyway, thank you man.

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 08:29:25 pm »
Hahaha!  Jimmy, when I saw your bike I thought to myself "damn, that guy has taste  ;)"

I appreciate it man.  Glad you're watching my build.  I loved watching yours!  (that sounded a little raunchy!  Wasn't on purpose I swear!)

Anyway, thank you man.

Sounded fine to me.

Later
FJ

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 08:35:04 pm »
That paint job looks absolutely amazing.  Top notch work.

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 09:44:31 am »
Because I have a problem....

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 10:03:15 am »
Because I have a problem....

Kanticoy

Those bowls look great!
Now I've got one more thing added to the pile.

Thanks alot.  ;D

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 10:07:01 am »

Kanticoy

Those bowls look great!
Now I've got one more thing added to the pile.

Thanks alot.  ;D

Hahaha!  Thanks FJ!  And this is just payback for all of the inspirational "work" you've created for all of us!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 10:13:12 am by Kanticoy »

Offline tango911

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 10:11:15 am »
going to be sweet!!
CURRENT STABLE:
1969 Honda Dream 305 (black)
1974 Mach III kawi 500 smoker
K2 (project)
K2 Original fixer up
K0 original fixer up
2006 CRF250R

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 11:54:04 am »
Found out something cool today.  A friend was parting out his CB160 racer and had a set of Motobitz rearsets for it that I snagged off of him.  They're really high quality CNC billet units.  I was going to use the footpeg assembly and build some brackets, but I got to looking and lo and behold, the plates line up with a factory 400f bolt pattern.  It will use the swing arm bolt for the top mount, and the factory foot peg bolt for the bottom.  Perfect.  The holes will have to be drilled out a bit on the mounting plates, but it's almost perfect...fitment wise it lines right up!  Looks like we found a viable cheaper alternative to the MC Again units!

These are $215 new including the linkage. 

http://www.motobits.com/varset.html

Offline leogriss

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 05:47:56 pm »
Great thread! I'll be also following this!!

Do you think you can share the source of your valve spring, cam shaft, and bore kit!!? ;D
I did google it, but I can't find them...  :-\
Keep up the good work!!

Offline jneuf

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 06:37:04 pm »
I'll also be following. That tank is GORGEOUS!

Mind sharing where that seat is from as well? or did you make that?
'75 CB400f

Offline Slams77

• Enthusiast
  • Naturally Aspirated
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 10:12:41 pm »
Sweet deal on the rearsets, I’m sure Motobits.com will start seeing some business from us CB400 guys.  Have you done a mock up yet?  Will we still be able to retain the kick start without modifying it?   

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2011, 07:15:58 pm »
Great thread! I'll be also following this!!

Do you think you can share the source of your valve spring, cam shaft, and bore kit!!? ;D
I did google it, but I can't find them...  :-\
Keep up the good work!!

The cam shaft came from Megacycle.  You send them a core and they re-work it to their specifications.  They have two versions, a mild street, and a full race.  This is the full race.  Web site is here.

http://www.megacyclecams.com

Valve springs and bore kit came from Kevin over at

http://www.400fourstore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=4&Category_Code=E

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2011, 07:17:21 pm »
Sweet deal on the rearsets, I’m sure Motobits.com will start seeing some business from us CB400 guys.  Have you done a mock up yet?  Will we still be able to retain the kick start without modifying it?   

YES!  I did that tonight.  I'll take some shots tomorrow, but they fit perfectly and the kicker JUST clears.  I am completely stoked about this...