Author Topic: New project for a first timer CB550 build - Slowly getting back to it!  (Read 133414 times)

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
Re: New project for a first timer CB550 build
« Reply #550 on: May 09, 2018, 12:08:34 pm »
Got the Cylinder back from mrieck this last week. Turned out great and a huge thanks to him. I had already had it blasted and I had previously primed it. Got some color down on it and then a little Glyptal in the cam chain channel. Put the rings on the pistons, mounted on the rods, and set my gaps. After baking the cylinder I went ahead and got it mounted on the case. Looks a bit more like an engine now!! Head is out getting worked on so that will take a little time before I have it back to get on the engine.

I was looking at the pics and it looks like the valve reliefs on 3 of the pistons are backwards. Did you just put the pistons there for the pictures??
 Also...i got to say....the project looks fantastic brother.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
Re: New project for a first timer CB550 build - Back on two wheels!!
« Reply #551 on: May 09, 2018, 12:13:40 pm »
I was looking at the pics and it looks like the valve reliefs on 3 of the pistons are backwards. Did you just put the pistons there for the pictures??
 Also...i got to say....the project looks fantastic brother.

Nope, I put them in backwards!! Luckily Camrector noticed it just after I posted. I took the top in back down, corrected the direction on the 3, got the rings reset, new gasket, re torqued the head, and got the cam timed again. Good to go now.

Thanks for the kind words!
75' CB550K -- Still in pieces but it rolls again!!!!

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
Re: New project for a first timer CB550 build - Back on two wheels!!
« Reply #552 on: May 18, 2018, 06:17:04 pm »
Attempted to start the bike for the first time last night. Little bit of a mixed bag. When trying to start with starter I get bad noises. After asking some questions it looks to be the starter clutch. It almost made noise.

When I got home tonight I tried starting with the kick. This is the result.

Idle is way high obviously and my garage is super hot. Could take the heat in pants. I’ll give it another go tomorrow when it’s cooler.

Offline Scramps

• Luke Warm, maybe. Not quite a
  • Hot Shot
Re: New project for a first timer CB550 build - Engine makes noise!!!
« Reply #553 on: May 18, 2018, 06:47:02 pm »
Gotta love those engines making noise! Except the one that the starter was making, that was unpleasant.

I feel confident that you'll have that dude purring like a kitten before long.

Great job!

Offline Godffery

• Godffery's Garage
  • Expert
  • Wisdom brings a realization of how little we know.
    • Godffery's Garage hosted by VinMoto.org
« Reply #554 on: May 18, 2018, 07:28:05 pm »
 You say it still made that hard clacking noise when kicking it?  It's difficult to here in the vid, especially with it running?

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #555 on: May 18, 2018, 07:32:18 pm »
You say it still made that hard clacking noise when kicking it?  It's difficult to here in the vid, especially with it running?

Pretty sure I didn’t hear it. But, I wasn’t expecting to start on the 2nd kick so I was a little frantic with the high idle.

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #556 on: May 18, 2018, 07:38:19 pm »
Didn't sound like it made the noise on kickstart.  Pretty amusing that the bike shook the camera when you had it running!
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline akabek

• Hot Shot
« Reply #557 on: May 18, 2018, 08:11:06 pm »
I believe you are running Keihin CR26 carbs.  If you have not installed one yet I highly recommend buying the remote idle option.  This way you can adjust your idle on the fly without a screw driver.

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #558 on: May 18, 2018, 08:15:52 pm »
Didn't sound like it made the noise on kickstart.  Pretty amusing that the bike shook the camera when you had it running!

No, I don't hear it either. Was just talking to Jeff and he thinks its starter or starter clutch based on my descriptions and some sounds. I'm gonna start again tomorrow and get the idle down so I can listen a little more closely. I'll most likely start with another starter to eliminate it as a culprit.

The camera shaking is hilarious. I noticed it on the quick pop in the first video. The camera is my iPhone X and is 8 ft from the bike propped on the washer. Not a quite bike. I think it has a lot to say after being so quiet for so long, haha.

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #559 on: May 18, 2018, 08:18:26 pm »
I believe you are running Keihin CR26 carbs.  If you have not installed one yet I highly recommend buying the remote idle option.  This way you can adjust your idle on the fly without a screw driver.

It is installed. I didn't expect it to kick over to be honest. Especially after two "not trying hard" attempts. And, cards on the table, I've never kicked a bike over. I just got a little flustered and decided it would be the better course of action to turn it off and regather myself then fuddle with it.

Offline minimo

• Expert
  • 1977 CB550F 1975 CB400F 1959 Ducati 200 Americano
« Reply #560 on: May 18, 2018, 10:08:32 pm »
That is some vicious grumble! Hoorah! What a long time coming. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #561 on: May 19, 2018, 11:29:09 am »
Much better!!!

This was still on kick. Changed the map selection and got the idle down. Oil light goes off so I’ve got compression. Oil is making its way up top. All 4 pipes are about the same temp. Smoke out tailpipe basically gone after 45 seconds. Plugs look good too. No bad smells.

Played with some ideas on the knarly sound. Pulled the plugs and no sound. My step dad, and I, are thinking the starter is failing with compression. He’s a rockstar auto mechanic so I trust his ideas, haha!

I do have some oil seepage in the pan (retorqued) and a small leak at the filter. And not getting a rpm readout on the gauge either.

Overall, I’m pretty happy. I’ll just work through the little issues and dial this thing in. I think I can say I officially have a runner 😁

Offline luvmy71

« Reply #562 on: May 19, 2018, 12:22:37 pm »
Congrats!!!  Sounds and looks great!
CB750 K1
'74 CB550 Cafe Project

Offline Godffery

• Godffery's Garage
  • Expert
« Reply #563 on: May 19, 2018, 04:57:02 pm »
Right On Man...!

Offline Scramps

• Luke Warm, maybe. Not quite a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #564 on: May 20, 2018, 01:29:24 pm »
I love it when a plan comes together

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #565 on: May 20, 2018, 07:28:41 pm »
So, I'm pretty sure the culprit is the starter clutch as suggested by Scottly and Godffrey. I swapped in another starter and same result. I worked through electrical potentials and was able to eliminate all of them. Wired the new starter directly to the battery and still heard the sound. When the plugs are out, no compression, sound isn't there. What I think is happening is as the clutch engages it slips like mad. I checked it when I pulled the starter and everything felt good but since it isn't engaged under loadI'm not going to be able to tell anything.

I've started pulling the needed part numbers to order. Could use some confirmation that I've got the right ones....

I think I need 8, 49, 50, 77, 89, and 90 for the rebuild, yes?

I also got my tail light mock up parts back from the printer. Need to make some modifications but I'm on the right path.

Offline Godffery

• Godffery's Garage
  • Expert
« Reply #566 on: May 20, 2018, 11:06:16 pm »
 Those are all the right parts (might get away without #8) but having 3 of the #89 Screws on hand would be a good idea, in case they are or get booger'ed up.
 Also; you will want to inspect #48 when you have it out, it's a pressed together, 2 piece part and sometimes the inner part will crack. If so, it will need to be replaced as well.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #567 on: May 21, 2018, 06:28:10 am »
I've seen the inner part of 48 rippled from the rollers ..

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #568 on: May 21, 2018, 07:23:31 am »

No, I don't hear it either. Was just talking to Jeff and he thinks its starter or starter clutch based on my descriptions and some sounds. I'm gonna start again tomorrow and get the idle down so I can listen a little more closely. I'll most likely start with another starter to eliminate it as a culprit.

The camera shaking is hilarious. I noticed it on the quick pop in the first video. The camera is my iPhone X and  is 8 ft from the bike propped on the washer. Not a quite bike. I think it has a lot to say after being so quiet for so long, haha.

I think your camera shake is not shake at all, it is the lack or shielded or resistor plugs and it is emf interference.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #569 on: May 21, 2018, 08:45:55 am »

The camera shaking is hilarious. I noticed it on the quick pop in the first video. The camera is my iPhone X and  is 8 ft from the bike propped on the washer. Not a quite bike. I think it has a lot to say after being so quiet for so long, haha.

I think your camera shake is not shake at all, it is the lack or shielded or resistor plugs and it is emf interference.

Cables and plugs are shielded. In that video my phone is leaning up against a bottle on top of the washer which has a glass top. The bike is decently loud. Pretty sure it was the vibration in the glass causing the phone to move.

Offline tshrey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #570 on: May 21, 2018, 09:41:32 am »
You can get to all that without splitting the cases?

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #571 on: May 21, 2018, 09:42:59 am »
You can get to all that without splitting the cases?

Apparently.... http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=122084.0

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #572 on: May 21, 2018, 07:28:43 pm »
On a 750, the part that is usually at fault with starter clutch noise like yours (guess how I knew what it was right away ;)) is equivalent to #46; the surface of the hub on the gear gets worn, and the rollers (#77) skip and jump instead of wedging in, locking the clutch to the gear. Numbers 49 and 50 are non-wearing parts, #8 appears to be for a cush drive, not related to the starter, and I'm not sure what #90 is.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Little_Phil

• Hot Shot
« Reply #573 on: May 22, 2018, 06:54:23 am »
So, I'm pretty sure the culprit is the starter clutch as suggested by Scottly and Godffrey. I swapped in another starter and same result. I worked through electrical potentials and was able to eliminate all of them. Wired the new starter directly to the battery and still heard the sound. When the plugs are out, no compression, sound isn't there. What I think is happening is as the clutch engages it slips like mad. I checked it when I pulled the starter and everything felt good but since it isn't engaged under loadI'm not going to be able to tell anything.

I've started pulling the needed part numbers to order. Could use some confirmation that I've got the right ones....
I have just done this and found it a quite fiddly job, and that was with the engine upside down on a bench. The new primary chain may give even less wriggle room.
Hope all goes well. Great looking bike.

Offline tshrey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #574 on: May 22, 2018, 07:13:05 am »
Just to be clear, this is only an issue if using the starter, correct?  Kick start it is just fine?