Author Topic: CB750k4 stock resto  (Read 17335 times)

Offline JimM68

• Firstgens.com
Re: CB750k4 stock resto
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2012, 06:33:54 pm »
Moved a bunch of baggies of parts from the "to be done box" to the "ready to install box."
Centerstand hardware, rear brake hardware, fork and tripple clamp hardware. Prepped and painted both triple clamps, gauge mounting bracket, and dash. Buffed several of my fingers to an amazing shine. a good day.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Offline JimM68

• Firstgens.com
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2012, 08:46:29 am »
Footpegs. Took em completely apart. Used mothers back to black on the rubber. Repaint the metal on the main pegs and all 4 brackets. Acid dipped, zinc plated, and polished all the unfinished metal.

Off to ace hardware for ner cotter keys and to replace one washer the buffer threw to God knows where, then I'll put em back together, bag em and tag em, and move on.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Offline JimM68

• Firstgens.com
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2012, 10:31:42 am »
Ok. Mix another margarita, and shake a can of silver paint for 5 minutes, and I'm ready to spray the engine.

Offline JimM68

• Firstgens.com
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2012, 10:54:50 am »
when I went to autozone, thier computer insisted that the duplicolor bcp0103 is the same as VHT SP735...

Well, I have no clue on that, but the CHT silver caliper paint is nothing even close to the original Honda Silver. Not even close. I'm gonna put another coat on, and see of I can possibly stand it...

But it is not the right color. Too dark, and WAY too metalic.

Offline JimM68

• Firstgens.com
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2012, 11:20:34 am »
Ok. Second coat is looking better, specially on the fins. Not so good on the top of the upper case, where I mighta got it on a lil thick. Gonne let it dry awhile, then dust it again.

Still gotta do the back and bottom.

The cylinder and head, the front, and around the point cover, looks real nice.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 05:31:19 pm by JimM68 »

Offline JimM68

• Firstgens.com
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2012, 05:32:06 pm »
Feeling better now. looks pretty good now that it's dry.

Offline JimM68

• Firstgens.com
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2012, 08:11:35 am »
Hey guys, been a while bit I'm still at it. Finished polishing and clearcoating yesterday, putting the covers back on the engine now.

Hoping to get the engine back in the frame this afternoon.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2012, 10:21:52 am »
Looks great!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline JimM68

• Firstgens.com
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2012, 10:55:36 am »
It's time. Gonna go get the frame outa my closet and me and #1 son are gonna put em together.

Offline JimM68

• Firstgens.com
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2012, 11:49:54 am »
Rollling right along. Engine is in the fraMe and bolted up.
Got lots of empty ziplocks bags, still got plenty full of parts. What's next?

Offline dagersh

• "A country attempting to tax itself into prosperity is akin to a man standing in a bucket attempting to lift that bucket by its handle. - Winston Churchill"
  • Expert
    • Photos
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2012, 01:44:26 pm »
Great job!

Move on to the Steering Head Bearings or the swingarm?  Work towards a rolling chassis.

Gersh
1962 CA95
1966 Black Bomber
1966 CA77 Dream
1967 Superhawk
1970 CB750K0
1972 CL350
1972 CB450/500 Custom
1972 CB500K1
1975 CB550F
1976 CB400F
1975 CB750 Future Restoration
1976 CB750K6
1976 CB750F
1976 GL1000

1968 Suzuki T500 Cobra
1990 BMW K1
2001 'Busa
2003 RC 51
Bunch of Guzzi's

http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/dagersh/

Offline JimM68

• Firstgens.com
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2012, 02:47:31 pm »
Great job!

Move on to the Steering Head Bearings or the swingarm?  Work towards a rolling chassis.

Gersh

Yup. I went with the steering head, that's done, and put the oil lines on just because.
Still got to finish cleaning up the fork ears and boots.
Need to polish the rim. Hub is done, spokes came in Friday, need to take the front wheel to the guy who's gonna lace her up, will do that first thing tomorrow morning.

Took a couple hours off, got so much done today my head is spinning!

Offline JimM68

• Firstgens.com
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2012, 05:22:32 am »
I'm still out here, and still working on my project!
She's coming along nicely.

Here's some pics

Offline JimM68

• Firstgens.com
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2012, 05:32:39 am »
The wheels were torn down, I polished the outsides of the hubs, the flanges where the spokes go, masked that off and painted the inside finned areas with vht caliper paint.
The rims were in great shape, cleaned up nice with chrome polish and 0000 steel wool.

I got 2 sets of stainless steel spokes from Buchanon's in california, and had em laced trued and balanced by Nick at GP Cyclesports in Yorkville, IL.

I cleaned up the pipes, and replaced the clamps and heat shields with new.

Most all the hardware is original, after I hand polished every peice.
Brackets and things that were zinc plated, I acid dipped, then replated with a lil gizmo I made outa a 5 gallon bucket and "some stuff"

Offline JimM68

• Firstgens.com
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2012, 05:36:57 am »
I still need:
Help with the wiring. Pictures, stuff like that. I thought the pics I took along with my steel trap memory would get all the wiring routed and tied down as original... Oh well, not so much.

Any help with this much appreciated. Finishing the wiring is todays project.

Offline JimM68

• Firstgens.com
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2012, 05:49:28 am »
One project today will be to assemble, fill, and bleed the front brake. I used por15 chassis black to paint the caliper and master, and polished everything else.
Will use dot5 silicone fluid so it won't eat the paint.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2

Offline JimM68

• Firstgens.com
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2012, 06:08:13 am »
Parts...
I need some parts.

Stock Rear Fender.
Stock Air box.

The Honda Emblems that go on the side of the gas tank.

Parts gotta be nice. Prefer NOS.
Will pay top dollar. I want those emblems BAD.
I'll be adding to this as the day goes on...
Thanks for reading.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2012, 09:41:37 am »
Jim, your project is looking great!  You might try pming member K5owner for some pics of wiring routing.  He has completed a stunning and meticulous restoration of a k5 and is a good guy...
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline JimM68

• Firstgens.com
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2012, 07:17:52 pm »
 Thanks! I been working hrd at it. Life got in the way today, but I did get most of the front brake stuff on. More tomorrow I hope.

Offline jerry h

• Hot Shot
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2012, 06:53:04 am »
Hi Jim - Been enjoying your build thread ----- coming along nicely!  Is it possible to show a close up of some of the hardware you've re-plated after you buffed it and put if back on the bike?  Interesting process.  Thanks for sharing all of the pics. ;)
"It is not the critic who counts, the credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose hands are covered with grease and oil."

K2 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,105097.0.html

Offline JimM68

• Firstgens.com
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2012, 05:59:17 pm »
Thanks guys. Tomorrow I'll try to get a good shot of the rear brake stay and rod, them, and the centerstand hardware were really nasty before, and they cleaned up real good.

Offline JimM68

• Firstgens.com
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2012, 06:00:49 pm »
Ya, i'm still out here, piddling along. Dayum i wish this thing was done!

Offline JimM68

• Firstgens.com
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2012, 06:02:18 pm »

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2012, 06:30:20 pm »
awsome work and progress!  ...don't wish too hard, as soon as it comes true, you have to start on another one :)
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline JimM68

• Firstgens.com
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2012, 07:00:23 pm »
I wanna ride it dammit.
I may end up setting the paint back till next winter. No luck finding anyone around here that will do it. I've painted, and have all the stuff, But I just ain't that good. Still, I did the camaro, and the paint is still on and shiny after 6 years....

I need those honda emblems for the gas tank, mine look like crap. Perhaps some tips on restoring those? They wouldn't look too bad if the black was redone.

I found someone on ebay, in england, who makes repro air boxes and bought one. It looks pretty nice, but doesn't have the "lines" up the ends like my original did....

I've got everything I need now, almost... Still would like an NOS rear fender. and those gas tank emblems.

What about levers?
I'd like some "dogleg" style levers, having a beetch of a time finding such things to fit a 40 year old bike....