Author Topic: tire out of round??  (Read 3201 times)

Offline shouse76cb

tire out of round??
« on: October 29, 2011, 02:50:17 pm »
Hi all,

I have a question regarding the front tire on my K6 750. I just got done putting this thing together with new wheel bearings, tapered steering bearings, rebuilt forks and newly laced rims. I had firestone champion deluxe tires installed as well. My problem is at around 50mph i notice the tire seems to have a little wobble in it. Its rides smooth and i only notice it if i look at the front wheel at speed. Oh the front tire was balanced using dyna beads. I cant find any dot on the tire that should have been lined up with the valve stem and the tire seems to have been seated properly. If the tire/wheel was out of balance wouldnt i feel it in the handlebars? or could it be an optical illusion of sorts with the tire? tire pressure set at 26psi also. thanks for any tips or tricks on getting rid of the wobbles

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
Re: tire out of round??
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 04:30:39 pm »
Wow, dyna beads and Firestones and all in the same thread.... ;D

Those Firestones are made for looks only, they are not a great tyre and track poorly, could just be your tyre mate, the tread pattern lends them to follow any lines on the road and track poorly . It is possible its out of balance but its performance will never be as good as a "proper" tyre. If you like your bike to handle well, look for better tyres..... BT45's are very popular here.
As far as i am concerned, Dyna beads are a load of rubbish, they aren't recommended for high speed or low lean angles {this is from the PDF on their own site}, so i would never fit them to anything i own......{grabs popcorn and sits back}  ;)

26psi.? Is that what the manufacturer recommends.? Try running 30-32 psi and see if that makes a difference....
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 05:16:18 pm by Retro Rocket »
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Randy

• Hot Shot
  • Nothing like a banging four under my legs..
    • Mission Detail
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 05:03:43 pm »
Is there a fine line or lip on the edge of the tire?... When I have my tires done..I check to make sure the line next to the rim is equal all the way around...
1973 CB500k, 1972 CB750 (New Arrival), 1978 Vespa P200 (New Arrival)

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 05:19:33 pm »
Before anyone starts #$%*in, this is a quote from classic cycles inc in SOCAL on another forum referring to the firestone champion deluxe.

the bad news now the customer has 500 miles on the bike and he hates those tires so bad out on the freeway we are taking them off and putting 2 new Dunlops K70's on. anybody want some Firestones?

And this from the same shop

They are both 400/19's they don't belong to me, if they were mine I would toss them in the dumpster, these are the worst tires I have ever ridden on. the owner might sell them but I don't care.
when these tires first came out the specs on those tires it said "intended for antique motorcycle display purposes only". they now have DOT approval but it is a horrible handling tread design.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 05:25:09 pm by Retro Rocket »
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline shouse76cb

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 06:28:27 pm »
thanks for the responses, i knew those tires and dyna beads could open up a can of worms lol. Maybe thats the reason i got them so cheap...because they arent any good. I was out for about a 75 mile ride today and as long as the road was great they didnt track left or right but it felt as if i was riding on an ice skate lol. My dad came over and gave me his dunlop k70's that are nearly brand new. will these be better?...after a proper balancing of course

Offline shouse76cb

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 06:32:23 pm »
retro, i just saw in your second post about the k70's...guess those must be better!

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 06:53:27 pm »
Whenever i am interested in anything i just Google it, like K70 dunlop reviews, and just read. Haven't used K series Dunlops since the early eighties but the K181 and K81's {the ones i used} were reasonably good. I think the K70's are an older style tyre but the tread pattern is better than the Firestones, the tread on the Firestones is one of the reasons they feel so vague, i don't know about now, but the only set of those firestones i ever had were on a CB450 and they were dangerous in the wet, like riding on marbles and made the bike fall into corners....
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc